ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Biggie - 18 years yesterday

ChrisKnight06

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2005
If I wasn't in the rap game. I'd probably have a key knee-deep in the crack game. Because the the streets is a short stop. Either you're slinging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot.

You're welcome

"Ready to Die" blew minds back then. There are only a few hip hop albums that had the impact of that album. There were three or four albums that led the revolution of hip hop, and it was one of them.

People talk about the impact of Nirvana on rock/alternative music. They had a huge impact.

Biggie had the same impact on hip hop. Illmatic and 36 Chambers are two others. Completely changed the scene.

But... since Mase killed hip hop, I blame Puffy for everything. He helped create, then he destroyed.

So funny b/c shiny suit dancing Ma$e and Diddy were my favorite. It was just the timing, 7th-8th grade lol. Harlem World double up! smh.

I'm slamming niggas like Shaquille, shit is real
When it's time to eat a meal I rob and steal
'cuz Mom Duke ain't givin me shit
so for the bread and butter I leave niggas in the gutter
Huh, word to mother, I'm dangerous
Crazier than a bag of ****ing Angel Dust
When I bust my gat mother****ers take dirt naps
I'm all that and a dime sack, where the paper at?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I just think Mase was the changing point, where hip hop finally realized it was worth something. Before that time, there were two separate kinds of hip hop: the stuff made for the mainstream (Fresh Prince, Kid N Play, Kwame, Heavy D, Kriss Kross, etc.) and the stuff that was all about the projects, poverty, crime, and being legit/tough/hard (whatever you want to call it.)

After that, it was like, "HOLY SHIT! We've got money and things aren't that bad anymore!" The guys who were rapping about crime and poverty were now the mainstream. They weren't struggling anymore. A lot can be said about proper motivation, in all forms of music.

There comes a time in every old fart's life when they realize they just don't make music like they used to. My time just happened to hit in 1999.
...and what's with the skinny jeans? Real hip hop heads wear baggy pants, bubble goose, and Timb boots.

I wonder what his career would be like today if he were alive? Would he still be rapping? Would he be a superstar? Would someone like Jay-Z not be as big?

"Who the f ck is this?
pagin' me at 5:45 in the mornin'
the crack of dawnin'
now I'm yawnin'..."

wipe the cold out my eye
see who's this pagin me and why..
It's my nigga Pop from the barbershop
told me he was in the gamblin spot and heard the intricate plot
some niggas wanna stick you like fly paper neighbor
slow down love please chill drop the caper
remember them niggas from the hill up in Brownsville
that you rolled dice with
smoked the blunts and got nice with?
yeah my nigga Fame up in Prospect
nah dem my niggas nah love wouldn't disrespect
I didn't say dem,
they schooled me to some niggas
that you knew from back when,
when you was clockin minor figures
Now they heard you blowin up like nitro
know they wanna stick the knife
through your windpipe slow..

"I wonder what his career would be like today if he were alive? Would he still be rapping? Would he be a superstar? Would someone like Jay-Z not be as big? "

Would be interesting. Career probably woulda been like Nas. He and Jay woulda been partners you'd think.

Originally posted by AlumKnight02:

Originally posted by brahmanknight:
"Who the f ck is this?
pagin' me at 5:45 in the mornin'
the crack of dawnin'
now I'm yawnin'..."
Ummm. It was 5:46. Get it right. And if you don't know, now ya know.....
Sorry. I was typing that while doing something else.

His lyrics make him sound like a great, stand-up guy.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I am too old for that crap. Foul mouthed garbage. That being said, I am glad they have the freedom to spout it.

Too bad white frat kids get hung for trying to emulate it.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
Brilliant.
I saw this last night. Fantastic.

Side note: We just started watching this show from the beginning over the weekend and now my 3 year old hits me and says "not the momma".

For lack of a better thread, this is going here...

What up with that new Kendrick Lamar?

I'm really loving the production. Loving. Tons of old funk, which has been my thing lately.

But, as with most hip hop these days, I just don't get down on the lyrics that much. Just too much nonsense. Whatever happened to telling a story? (old man talking...)

...and did he decide to be an even bigger Madlib/Quasimoto ripoff?

Originally posted by 1ofTheseKnights:
Meh don't always to plainly tell a story k dot is solid as fvck w the wit & clever rhymes will listen at some point

older to get the you more nonsensical more your posts is horrible a dementia thing

So yea I think the production is ridiculous. Like, insane. Love the sound.

Lyrically it's gonna take more than a few listens. I know what you're saying Chemmie about storytelling. That is def not what he was going with on this album though, def no Good Kid M.A.A.D City in that regard. It's gonna be polarizing but props for taking the risk. First listen I really liked it and I bet I'm gonna like it more and more as I wrap my head around the concepts.

So I step away for a few minutes and it's starting to take shape.

To Pimp a Butterfly = To Kill a Mockingbird

Obviously the biggest theme in this album is race. Deals a lot with anger, frustration, pride, resentment etc.

And the one constant in this album is him repeating in various songs:

"Abusing my power full of resentment
Resentment that turned in to a deep depression
Found myself screaming in the hotel room
I didn't wanna self destruct"

Definitely not a storytelling album but hits on a ton of shit with one very obvious overriding theme.

ps. That end of that convo with 2pac on the final track. OMG..

This post was edited on 3/16 3:04 PM by ChrisKnight06

just to be clear, Was I the only one that thought when is saw Biggie, I thought UCF Biggie?

What the hell? How did that not make T&Y? That is vintage Lupe right there.

Just finished my second listen on Kendrick... fantastic.

Originally posted by mach3ucf:
just to be clear, Was I the only one that thought when is saw Biggie, I thought UCF Biggie?
It did throw me for a second....til I remembered that I would have seen many messages on FB and Twitter if something actually happed to UCF Biggie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT