ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Augustine tips/ideas?

crambone

Golden Knight
Nov 27, 2007
I am taking a much-needed week of vacation and the Crambone family is headed to Saint Augustine. Any ideas of stuff to do? I must admit living in FL since I was 12 and this will be my first time there.

Thanks in advance.

Perfect. There's a place along the way you need to stop by, take I4 east to 417 north, get off at exit 37A travel east 2 miles, turn left at 434 then right on McCullogh. Go about a mile down the road and then on your right is a beautiful stadium with a national champions banner hanging proudly that you must take a selfie with.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation, not sure how you couldn't after that start! :smiley:

Plenty of touristy things in St. Augustine. The old fort is cool, and the first wooden school house in America is worth seeing. The Fountain of Youth is hokey, you could skip it and be fine.

I would also recommend checking out the lighthouse, and Flagler College. It’s a really old beautiful campus. The ghost tours at night are fun too.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
It's a really cool city though. I've been up there a few times. City Hall is a cool old building to venture through and get the social media pictures and you have the fort and there's a strip with bars/restaurants. Good tourist town to spend 2-3 days in.

It’s an okay city. Good with kids. Do the touristy things. Watch out for some weird fellows at night on George Street. Do a ghost tour.

Mojo Old City BBQ is some good bbq. They have some great little British pubs/restaurants.

Reactions: crambone
Plenty of touristy things in St. Augustine. The old fort is cool, and the first wooden school house in America is worth seeing. The Fountain of Youth is hokey, you could skip it and be fine.

I would also recommend checking out the lighthouse, and Flagler College. It’s a really old beautiful campus. The ghost tours at night are fun too.
This is pretty Accurate. St Augustine beach is a pretty chill area with some decent seafood restaurants. My 4 and 6 year olds really liked the lighthouse. I'm not sure how old the little bones are, but they've made it really kind friendly. If they're older, then definitely do a ghost tour of downtown.

Kids are 2 and 6. Ghost tour for sure!!!

How long do you have? STA is cool but it’s a poor mans Charleton, which IMO is the coolest city that I’ve been to. You can spend 4 days in Charleston and see/do/learn something new every day. And the food is world class.

It’s about a 4 hour drive north of STA. If you go in summer you can get great hotel discounts since it’s so damn hot.

We did Charleston in late July the first time and our hotel in downtown was $160 a night; went back the following March and it was $380 a night

How long do you have? STA is cool but it’s a poor mans Charleton, which IMO is the coolest city that I’ve been to. You can spend 4 days in Charleston and see/do/learn something new every day. And the food is world class.

It’s about a 4 hour drive north of STA. If you go in summer you can get great hotel discounts since it’s so damn hot.

We did Charleston in late July the first time and our hotel in downtown was $160 a night; went back the following March and it was $380 a night

Charleston is an amazing city. It goes Charleston, Savannah then St. Augustine from worst to best for me on the “historical southern city tour”.

What kind of a loser takes a week long family vacation to St. Augustine?

What kind of a loser takes a week long family vacation to St. Augustine?

Apparently I do. Does being a Douchebag come naturally to you or do you have to try hard at it?

For what it’s worth we are here until a Wednesday and then we are hitting Disney for the rest of the week. Staying on-property and hitting all 4 parks. Nothing special, we have annual passes but it’s nice to be able to park and take the busses everywhere.

Apparently I do. Does being a Douchebag come naturally to you or do you have to try hard at it?

For what it’s worth we are here until a Wednesday and then we are hitting Disney for the rest of the week. Staying on-property and hitting all 4 parks. Nothing special, we have annual passes but it’s nice to be able to park and take the busses everywhere.

In my opinion that’s the only way to do Disney anymore. There’s nothing worse to me than spending all day at a park and then having an hour drive home. I’d much rather go relax in a pool and enjoy the day there if I’m going to go at all.

You're only allowed to vacation when you have enough CC points saved up and can go to non popular/non white cities and eat blue whale feces with Siberian tiger semen beer.

You know, hat's off to the dude for taking his family on vacation. It might be all that he can afford with children in tow. Shit changes when you have kids and your expectations kinda get lowered.

Don't be a dick.
It's all about yourself, be a hedonist!

Only a pathetic pissant would criticize someone for taking their family on vacation.

Reactions: UCFWayne
You know, hat's off to the dude for taking his family on vacation. It might be all that he can afford with children in tow. Shit changes when you have kids and your expectations kinda get lowered.

Don't be a dick.

At least now I know why he gets so much hate around here. He never said a word to me either way until that post.

As far as what I can afford, it’s more like where we can go that doesn’t require a long drive each way. I love my kids but they are horrible in the car for extended periods of time.

Every Thanksgiving week we rent a cabin in North GA / Western NC and chill there for 7 days. Really nice weather and change of scenery. But the 9-10 hour drive gets stretched-out to over 12 hours with kids and it’s unbearable.

My wife and I are planning a cruise for just us 2 next March and have a trip to England in the works as well. On the fence about bringing the kids over there until they are over 10.

At least now I know why he gets so much hate around here. He never said a word to me either way until that post.

As far as what I can afford, it’s more like where we can go that doesn’t require a long drive each way. I love my kids but they are horrible in the car for extended periods of time.

Every Thanksgiving week we rent a cabin in North GA / Western NC and chill there for 7 days. Really nice weather and change of scenery. But the 9-10 hour drive gets stretched-out to over 12 hours with kids and it’s unbearable.

My wife and I are planning a cruise for just us 2 next March and have a trip to England in the works as well. On the fence about bringing the kids over there until they are over 10.
Benadryl.

It’s an okay city. Good with kids. Do the touristy things. Watch out for some weird fellows at night on George Street. Do a ghost tour.

Mojo Old City BBQ is some good bbq. They have some great little British pubs/restaurants.
MOJO is good all around jax

Hit http://www.saltwatercowboys.com/ though.

You there on Sunday? Hit Reggae Sunday at The Conch House marina. Still hurting from hurricanes, but a good time.

Drive 20 minutes north on A1A and go to http://www.capsonthewater.com/

You're welcome.

its funny because in the dungeon he is actually ok. but for some reason he feels the need to be a dick in here even to people hes never interacted with before.

he must lead a very sad life.

btw, leave the kids at home for england. cruise is probably ok though.

its funny because in the dungeon he is actually ok. but for some reason he feels the need to be a dick in here even to people hes never interacted with before.

he must lead a very sad life.

btw, leave the kids at home for england. cruise is probably ok though.

Well, the cruise we have in mind is thrown by our favorite band 311. They do one every 2 years and we’ve never had a chance to go. Definitely not taking the kids for that one!

Well, the cruise we have in mind is thrown by our favorite band 311. They do one every 2 years and we’ve never had a chance to go. Definitely not taking the kids for that one!
iu

ADVERTISEMENT