ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling-I’m starting to wonder!

We have to position ourselves with best G5 winning record for when next conference expansion comes . (period)

How we rank in annual unfair P5 rankings is second now that we have a National Championship. Let's get into better league with multi-year record! Let's face it, the P5 will NOT be knowledgeable of our opponents. We have good ones in AAC. No need to look bad like USF will by booking multiple opponents they'll definitely lose to during the season. One P5 per season is good enough at this point.

Reactions: Knight Strength
We have to position ourselves with best G5 winning record for when next conference expansion comes . (period)

How we rank in annual unfair P5 rankings is second now that we have a National Championship. Let's get into better league with multi-year record! Let's face it, the P5 will NOT be knowledgeable of our opponents. We have good ones in AAC. No need to look bad like USF will by booking multiple opponents they'll definitely lose to during the season. One P5 per season is good enough at this point.

Money, tv, and fanbase will play a bigger roll than winning. B10 took Rutgers. ACC took Boston College long ago. If there is only one P5 per season and the teams doesn't go to NY6 bowl, UCFs value diminishes quickly in terms of national spotlight and attracting fans to games.

Reactions: OvilleNative
Also, we need to get more seats in the stadium soon. Approx. 55-56K

We need DW to stay and make the right adjustments. Won't this be the first season with season tickets sold out?

Money, tv, and fanbase will play a bigger roll than winning. B10 took Rutgers. ACC took Boston College long ago. If there is only one P5 per season and the teams doesn't go to NY6 bowl, UCFs value diminishes quickly in terms of national spotlight and attracting fans to games.
Didn't that have more to do with their TV markets than scheduling?

These days, the most important factor for conferences is fan base size. We're fortunate to have a large university but we absolutely must keep them engaged. If fans aren't watching, we'll never grow. The easiest way to get people to watch is by winning. Lose ONE game this season and that student section will be smaller they the next week.

All we need is Ws and $s!

Reactions: Wings0fred
Didn't that have more to do with their TV markets than scheduling?

These days, the most important factor for conferences is fan base size. We're fortunate to have a large university but we absolutely must keep them engaged. If fans aren't watching, we'll never grow. The easiest way to get people to watch is by winning. Lose ONE game this season and that student section will be smaller they the next week.

All we need is Ws and $s!

It does, but then why schedule anyone with a pulse. Because people want to see winning, but also against good teams. For example 25k will travel 6+ hours driving to NY6 bowl for a game they don't know if they will win, won't get that same number to travel to a bowl in Tampa or Orlando to play a team they should win no matter what.

The whole positioning for expansion is just getting old. I'm still young, but if I was 50+ I would be depressed in knowing that I am waiting for something that might not happen for a decade or later and may or may not even matter what the program does.

I have a secret to share with you - We are never ever ever getting invited to the invitational out of the AAC!

The quicker our fans accept this the more relaxing and enjoyable our seasons will become. People will have realistic expectations and we can rack up NY6 trophies
Agreed!!!

Our fans need to worry about things
we can control. We can control filling the football stadium up every week, the basketball games, baseball games and other Olympic sports. Along with our student body let’s figure out how to fill up those venues for every game. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we only have about 5000 GKC members. That number at a minimum should be at least 10,000. These are the sort of things that we as a fanbase can control which will lead to more revenue for the athletic department so that we can retain and pay for the best coaches, build more and better facilities, so that we can have charter flights for men’s and women’s basketball. UConn women’s basketball program charters so if we want to compete for more big-time women’s basketball players we have to do the same thing that the big time programs are doing.

I honestly don’t believe UCF is going to a major conference anytime soon. And I hate to say it but I don’t believe UCF or south Florida is going to the big 12 unless Oklahoma and Texas leave. And if that happens the American would be in a position to poach a couple of big 12 teams. I don’t want our fanbase to sit around and think that when 2025 gets here that we’re somehow going to magically win the lottery and get invited to the big 12.

We have to make ourselves so attractive that the sports world and the major conferences can no longer deny us. We as a fan base need to figure out how to raise our athletic revenues to $100 million without huge TV revenue contracts like the SEC. If we do this it doesn’t matter whether or not we’re in a major conference. We can become the new version of Notre Dame where we can get our own TV revenue deal outside of the schools in the American.

We have so much potential with the size of our Alumni base and student body. I just hope we can realize that full potential sooner rather than later.

Look guys at these annual revenue #s as we go back and forth over scheduling :)

UCF Football just got a $5M raise in AAC / ESPN contract - $7 million now
UCF Football Peach Bowl Payout $1.5 Million, Fiesta Bowl ?
UCF Football sold out season ticket revenue - ?
UCF athletic cash gifts and commitments - $28 million
UCF student athletics fee - $22.7 million (2 semesters @ 172 x 66k)

Football is getting 8.5 (TV and Bowl) +
ticket sales revenue +
% of 28 million in gifts +
% of over 22.7 million student fees (summer fees?)

Therefore, A.D. should be happy in keeping the financial ship running well 1st.
"Just win baby" and watch the coverage/attention increase. No need to do 2 for 1s or
rush to do stupid scheduling stuff. USF isn't in the same class financially with us.
Our financial statement is better than any other G5 right now! Many P5s are probably
jealous of what we have here.

Anybody have a total number here for football? I got my #s from web articles.

FYI...Last year (based on 2018 pricing for 7 home games), I calculated that football seating revenue (ticket + required donation) would be around $1.4 - $1.6 million per game...or $9.8 - $11.2 million for the season.

That does NOT include the 17 Field Cabanas or the 20 Tower Suites because I don't know how much those lease for.

UCF Football just got a $5M raise in AAC / ESPN contract - $7 million now
UCF Football Peach Bowl Payout $1.5 Million, Fiesta Bowl ?
UCF Football sold out season ticket revenue - ?
UCF athletic cash gifts and commitments - $28 million
UCF student athletics fee - $22.7 million (2 semesters @ 172 x 66k)

Football is getting 8.5 (TV and Bowl) +
ticket sales revenue +
% of 28 million in gifts +
% of over 22.7 million student fees (summer fees?)

Therefore, A.D. should be happy in keeping the financial ship running well 1st.
"Just win baby" and watch the coverage/attention increase. No need to do 2 for 1s or
rush to do stupid scheduling stuff. USF isn't in the same class financially with us.
Our financial statement is better than any other G5 right now! Many P5s are probably
jealous of what we have here.

The $1.5 million is given to the AAC. UCF’s travel and expenses come out first than evenly distributed amongst all member schools.

The $7 million is towards the back end of the deal. We will not see that money right away

FYI...Last year (based on 2018 pricing for 7 home games), I calculated that football seating revenue (ticket + required donation) would be around $1.4 - $1.6 million per game...or $9.8 - $11.2 million for the season.

That does NOT include the 17 Field Cabanas or the 20 Tower Suites because I don't know how much those lease for.
Nice. Also, the student fees revenue with the new college campus opening up downtown will be going up.

The $1.5 million is given to the AAC. UCF’s travel and expenses come out first than evenly distributed amongst all member schools.

I think UCF (or whatever AAC team goes to the Ny6 Bowl) gets a little more than that. A recent Orlando Sentinel article said that for the 2017-2018 fiscal year said that UCF is "seeing a nearly 45% increase in annual (conference) revenue payout, going from $4.042 million in 2016-17 (a non-NY6 Bowl year) to $7.429 million in 2017-18(Peach Bowl year)."

Most of that is due to the Peach Bowl. A small amount of the increase might be from the small yearly increase in TV payout and fluctuation is NCAA basketball tourney credits the AAC has.

I read somewhere that the school (UCF for Peach & Fiesta Bowl years) gets $1.5 million - $2 million which is designed to cover the schools expenses.

The $4 million Peach Bowl payout goes to the conference and is divided among the schools however the conference decides it should be. This is where details get fuzzy because conferences usually don't share those details publicly.

UCF's conference revenue in the Peach Bowl year was up $3.387 million from the year before. Assuming UCF was given $2 million to cover expenses, That leaves a remaining increase of $1.387 million...which is more than the small increase in TV or NCAA tourney credits could account for. So it looks like the AAC gives any NY6 Bowl participant a larger share of the NY6 Bowl payout than the other football schools receive.

Reactions: ahabmw
I think UCF (or whatever AAC team goes to the Ny6 Bowl) gets a little more than that. A recent Orlando Sentinel article said that for the 2017-2018 fiscal year said that UCF is "seeing a nearly 45% increase in annual (conference) revenue payout, going from $4.042 million in 2016-17 (a non-NY6 Bowl year) to $7.429 million in 2017-18(Peach Bowl year)."

Most of that is due to the Peach Bowl. A small amount of the increase might be from the small yearly increase in TV payout and fluctuation is NCAA basketball tourney credits the AAC has.

I read somewhere that the school (UCF for Peach & Fiesta Bowl years) gets $1.5 million - $2 million which is designed to cover the schools expenses.

The $4 million Peach Bowl payout goes to the conference and is divided among the schools however the conference decides it should be. This is where details get fuzzy because conferences usually don't share those details publicly.

UCF's conference revenue in the Peach Bowl year was up $3.387 million from the year before. Assuming UCF was given $2 million to cover expenses, That leaves a remaining increase of $1.387 million...which is more than the small increase in TV or NCAA tourney credits could account for. So it looks like the AAC gives any NY6 Bowl participant a larger share of the NY6 Bowl payout than the other football schools receive.
This is all Danny White. Hope he’s properly compensated. He’s one of the few that saw the potential of UCF

I 100% agree we keep DW at all cost. I started to wonder if we are getting a kickback from other southern football programs (mostly SEC) which is causing us difficulty scheduling games. I hope we can continue to schedule schools like UNC. I think schools like UNC offer a game we can win against an ACC school and are reasonable to travel to. Louisville, Pitt, all NC schools are ideal games for UCF. I would love to replace the FCS games, as a fan who wants to watch us play interesting matchups. I’m excited to watch us play Stanford, not FAMU. Is winning easier games better or beating quality teams better for our brand? I am truly undecided!! I guess I’m Danny White We Trust is the best policy!!

I would love to replace the FCS games, as a fan who wants to watch us play interesting matchups. I’m excited to watch us play Stanford, not FAMU. Is winning easier games better or beating quality teams better for our brand? I am truly undecided!! I guess I’m Danny White We Trust is the best policy!!

Beating quality teams is better, but you have to realize who you are from a realism standpoint and schedule in a way that sets you up to maximize your success and revenue.

We would love to think that UCF could beat any team in the country (and we could), but realistically there is a reason teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, etc all finish the year competing for playoff spots with zero or one loss and another dozen "power" teams are right behind them with 1 or 2 losses.

Right now, DW is scheduling in a way to maximize our chances at the NY6 Bowl while also maximizing our revenue by having a seventh home game every other year (on average).

The other thing to keep in mind is that a scheduling philosophy is not set in stone. In 2-3 years, any number of things could happen that could cause DW to drop the annual FCS game, including...

Losing the NY6 spot to another G5 team with an identical record and no FCS game.

Fans start to lose significant interest in FCS games. (One reason DW insists on having a P5 home game every year is to offset any mild grumbling about the FCS game).

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT