ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost: Do or Die Season

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
After Frost left UCF I was apprehensive to cheer him on for success. I hated him leaving us but loved that he returned for the Peach Bowl victory.

However, he figuratively is a dead-man-walking this season. How does everyone else feel about it? Is it revenge for disgruntled scorned fans for him leaving us, or do you feel empathy for his plight?

After Frost left UCF I was apprehensive to cheer him on for success. I hated him leaving us but loved that he returned for the Peach Bowl victory.

However, he figuratively is a dead-man-walking this season. How does everyone else feel about it? Is it revenge for disgruntled scorned fans for him leaving us, or do you feel empathy for his plight?

I never disliked him bc he created the image that I wanted UCF’s Program to be

I just thought it was a career mistake to get emotionally pulled ‘home’. Like I said at the time he should have stayed at UCF once more year and I bet USC would have offered him the job. That is a big what if for his career

It is nice to be proven right, I guess. Just about everyone on this board saw this bad fit coming. If anyone other than Frost posted the results they've had during his tenure they'd already be out the door. Nebraska calculated (correctly, IMO) that if Frost can't make that program into what it once was then no one can. They need to bite the bullet and hire a Bret Bielema type who can grind out 8-9 wins a year with focus on defense and power running offense -- the type of players you can get to go to Nebraska.

We have our own biases and blind spots as UCF alumni/fans, but the Nebraska fanbase coming to terms with their place in modern CFB is an ugly process and has completely de-railed Frost's career trajectory.

I never had the animosity towards him that many others did. He resurrected the football program from the dead after an 0-12 season, completely modernized the program, and of course led us to the undefeated season. We are still reaping the rewards that he brought. If we hired some other retread coach after GOL, we could very well still be stuck in a similar position as USF is now. When he left, he stuck around for the bowl game… you don’t see anyone else doing that.

He certainly left a good situation at UCF to try to turn around a thing of the past. But I rather he went to Nebraska vs another school in Florida because UF wanted him badly. Although he left in my eyes he's still a UCF legend and one day when that 12-0 team comes back for an alumni salute I hope he is with them. Before Frost we were basically a dumpster fire.

I never had the animosity towards him that many others did. He resurrected the football program from the dead after an 0-12 season, completely modernized the program, and of course led us to the undefeated season. We are still reaping the rewards that he brought. If we hired some other retread coach after GOL, we could very well still be stuck in a similar position as USF is now. When he left, he stuck around for the bowl game… you don’t see anyone else doing that.
The "program" wasn't dead and still had a hell of a foundation even after a disastrous season. Resurrecting a program would be the UAB job or taking the UConn job now. He took a bunch of disheartened players with a great work ethic and made it fun while adding a few pieces. Lightning in a bottle.

He stuck for the bowl game because it made him look better.

Reactions: Nautiknight
I wasn't happy when he left because I liked what he was doing for the program.

BUT, when I (we) had to put up with those Nebraska fans on this board before, during and after Frost's departure, I have enjoyed seeing the whole Nebraska program in a continual state of sh*t since Frost got there. Including calls for Frost's head once he didn't go 10-2 in his first year there.

Reactions: UCFhonors
The "program" wasn't dead and still had a hell of a foundation even after a disastrous season. Resurrecting a program would be the UAB job or taking the UConn job now. He took a bunch of disheartened players with a great work ethic and made it fun while adding a few pieces. Lightning in a bottle.

Him and the whole staff staying, greatly improved our odds of winning the Peach Bowl, finishing undefeated and shoving it to the whole CFP structure. At least give thanks for him staying for the bowl game.

The program may not have been dead but it certainly was headed down the wrong path. Had we made the wrong hire it could have been disastrous. We caught lightening in a bottle with him.

However, I was not happy about how absolutely idiotic some Nebraska fans acted after he took that job.

Reactions: Knight Strength

I have nothing against Frost and I wanted to him succeed after his tenure at UCF. That he stayed for the bowl game (idc if he didn't for optics, coaches these days don't do that- optics or not), and gave us our best season ever after resurrecting this program is more than enough for me. I wish he stayed but he left to coach at his alma mater- that is a great reason to leave since that opportunity may never come again.

I don't think reasonable UCF fans disliked or wanted him to fail after leaving us. Most I have spoke to really liked the guy. I am still rooting for him.

The program may not have been dead but it certainly was headed down the wrong path. Had we made the wrong hire it could have been disastrous. We caught lightening in a bottle with him.

However, I was not happy about how absolutely idiotic some Nebraska fans acted after he took that job.
Could have easily been a defensive minded head coach hand picked by GOL. With 21 points being considered an unusual high scoring game.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I give him barely any credit for staying for a vital bowl game that made him look good. He would have looked like a complete bastard if he didn't. He left no one behind to coach the team. After taking almost the entire staff and everything not bolted down he was obligated to come back. It wasn't a good will gesture. AS for now, he's had his years of failure, I don't care anymore. Complete apathy. I did wish him great success in his personal life, unfortunately that didn't work out (unless I'm misinformed).

Reactions: sk8knight
I don't think people were md at Frost per se, but they were mad at the Cornholios who came out and acted like Frost made UCF and that if he could do what he did here he would be winning B10 championships in no time. When it is disproven it helps UCF's image.

Frost and UCF were made for each other. a perfect fit. I think he knew it and it was hard for him to leave. But he was never going to get a more attractive offer and He was going home to family. For that I cannot gripe. For taking every freakin' coach, trainer and staff, wiping the recruiting data base and recruiting our players I would kick him in the nuts.

It is nice to be proven right, I guess. Just about everyone on this board saw this bad fit coming. If anyone other than Frost posted the results they've had during his tenure they'd already be out the door. Nebraska calculated (correctly, IMO) that if Frost can't make that program into what it once was then no one can. They need to bite the bullet and hire a Bret Bielema type who can grind out 8-9 wins a year with focus on defense and power running offense -- the type of players you can get to go to Nebraska.

We have our own biases and blind spots as UCF alumni/fans, but the Nebraska fanbase coming to terms with their place in modern CFB is an ugly process and has completely de-railed Frost's career trajectory.

Very well said. Nebraska is has beens. I haven been telling Nebraska fans this UCFact on Soundoff since we hired my UCFriend, Scott.

#UCFacts

He certainly left a good situation at UCF to try to turn around a thing of the past. But I rather he went to Nebraska vs another school in Florida because UF wanted him badly. Although he left in my eyes he's still a UCF legend and one day when that 12-0 team comes back for an alumni salute I hope he is with them. Before Frost we were basically a dumpster fire.
Not really, it's perspective...Frost took over in 2016. We were 12-1 in 2013, 9-4 in 2014, and 0-12 in 2015 due to our coaching staff, perhaps our coaching staff was in the dump, we had talent......I would call USF, or FSU a dumpster fire due to prolonged (year-to-year) piss-poor performance.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I get it. Going home to coach your team for $35 million , well , all of us would do that. The question is how we make our exit ? I interviewed a young lady yesterday for a barista job . She was an average 20 year old candidate . I asked when could she start ? She said, I need to give my current boss two weeks notice as they are short staffed. I hired her in large part because of that. If she respected her current employer she would respect us .

I share that because in the moment neither Frost or their fans showed a lot of respect to us as fans, alumni, boosters and season tickets holders. It's not that he left it was the way he left.

Frost will be fine and my fear is he does get fired and Jeff Scott gets fired . Think about Frost back in Florida coaching the bulls? You know if those things align the guy gets an offer. .

Frost to the Bulls would be promising for them... but I wonder if he would want to risk going someplace so cursed immediately after being fired from his alma mater. Feel like a last resort career move.

Scott just got a contract extension. Not sure USF could afford to fire him next year, continue paying him (and whatever other coaches they are still paying, if any), give Frost the kind of money he will want, and still build that OCS they are dreaming about...or at least keep funding feasibility studies and paying for artist renderings.

I would think they are stuck with Scott for the foreseeable future, for better or worse.

Not really, it's perspective...Frost took over in 2016. We were 12-1 in 2013, 9-4 in 2014, and 0-12 in 2015 due to our coaching staff, perhaps our coaching staff was in the dump, we had talent......I would call USF, or FSU a dumpster fire due to prolonged (year-to-year) piss-poor performance.
We were getting blown out every game in 2015 and the program was nowhere near where it was in 2013. Talented yes but a change needed to be made and the right change. You think if Oleary's boy Key got the job the path would have been the same? I would not downplay what Frost did.

We were getting blown out every game in 2015 and the program was nowhere near where it was in 2013. Talented yes but a change needed to be made and the right change. You think if Oleary's boy Key got the job the path would have been the same? I would not downplay what Frost did.
Frost was the right coach at the right time for that very specific scenario. It was lightning in a bottle. That scenario has passed and he's already shown that he's not a program-builder. I don't know that I'd worry much about Frost at usf. But, hey, if it happens and he succeeds then good for him.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
I get it. Going home to coach your team for $35 million , well , all of us would do that. The question is how we make our exit ? I interviewed a young lady yesterday for a barista job . She was an average 20 year old candidate . I asked when could she start ? She said, I need to give my current boss two weeks notice as they are short staffed. I hired her in large part because of that. If she respected her current employer she would respect us .

I share that because in the moment neither Frost or their fans showed a lot of respect to us as fans, alumni, boosters and season tickets holders. It's not that he left it was the way he left.

Frost will be fine and my fear is he does get fired and Jeff Scott gets fired . Think about Frost back in Florida coaching the bulls? You know if those things align the guy gets an offer. .
It would be interesting to see if he could work his old magic and resurrect the Bulls. I doubt it would happen.

Great story. And lesson But my UCFriend

tenor.gif

I don't want to think about Frost at usf.

#UCFacts

I don't fault Frost for going to his alma mater for $35 mill. But I am happy NObraska is suffering because of all the cornholes that came here and showed their a$$ to us. What a bunch of stuck up d!cks. They deserve what they are getting.

I still like to think about the Nebraska fan who came here arguing quality of life was better there than FL because he can call his travel agent and get on the sidelines at games. And he got roasted for still using a travel agent like they don't have Expedia dot com in Nebraska.

This was in the recent news. Wondering if NObraska is setting up Coach Frost to be fired with cause to avoid a buy out...(just thinking out loud)...He gotta win right away!!!

Nebraska football coach Scott Frost received a one-year show-cause penalty plus a five-day suspension from all coaching duties during the upcoming season for failure to appropriately monitor a special-teams analyst during the 2020 season.

Personally I don't give a rip over SF. He was in the perfect place here, at the perfect time. Nebraska was a horrid place for him with the system he ran. I don't wish him bad but choices have consequences.

Loved what he did while at “this place”…but….D-bag. Wearing Nebraska pin while accepting Home Depot coach of the year.

5a2acbae7d156.image.jpg

Reactions: Drew-C-F
Dude is a dead man walking. They just couldn’t fire him after last season because of $. That said, I wish I could perform so poorly at my job and get paid like 35 million. Plus, he basically plays a sport for a living. Yeah, tons of pressure but if I could still hang out with the neighborhood kids and play (and then coach) whiffle-ball I’d be all in, never mind the big paycheck to boot.

Last edited:
WTF??? Frost didn't show a lot of respect to UCF's fans, alumni, boosters, etc.???? :oops:

Frost announced he was leaving the program for a $35 million dollar contract to go home but told Nebraska officials that he would accept their offer under one condition: he wanted him and his coaches to stay with the team through the bowl game.

To do this, Frost and his coaches burned the candle from both ends during the weeks leading up to the game. If the team tanked in their bowl, you MIGHT have been able to opine that the coaches' double-duty business screwed up the team's mojo. But instead what happened? Frost and Company lead UCF to an upset win against one of those mighty SEC teams who we were told dismissively before the game would make mincemeat out of the Knights.

Tell me, how in the world was THAT disrespectful to UCF??!?

Loved what he did while at “this place”…but….D-bag. Wearing Nebraska pin while accepting Home Depot coach of the year.
Your take reminded me of a story. I am a Nebraska alum who once-upon-a-time worked for the University of Kansas. The first year we were in Lawrence, I took my family to the KU-Nebraska game.

My daughter was nine years old at the time. Before we left for the game, she saw me wearing a blue KU polo shirt and said, "Daddy, you're a big Husker fan---why are you wearing a KU shirt?" I leaned down and told her, "Honey, Kansas pays me money to cheer for them." :)

ADVERTISEMENT