ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq intercepts Wilson

I think in order to practice you have to be signed. So I’d say yes.
At least for the mini camps that’s not the case. There is an understanding that if you get hurt they will still sign you to a similar deal they would have without the injury

At least for the mini camps that’s not the case. There is an understanding that if you get hurt they will still sign you to a similar deal they would have without the injury
I’m talking about training camp right now. He’s practicing do he has a deal. Leveon Bell hasn’t signed his Franchise Tag so technically he isn’t under contract. That’s why he can skip without penalty.

Still 100% on board with a statue for our guy. He deserves it and it will help with fans and recruiting.
We should have Limbitless put up a display with a 3D printed hand for Shaq, with the subtitle, "Unused / Unnecessary." Man he is total heart.

Saw this on tv. Really awesome. Still 100% on board with a statue for our guy. He deserves it and it will help with fans and recruiting.
If he gets one you gotta include SF, the guy who actually used him appropriately. The current statue would have continued to waste his talent

If he gets one you gotta include SF, the guy who actually used him appropriately. The current statue would have continued to waste his talent
Whose decision was it to change his position and play him? It may have been Chinander. Or someone else.

One spent every last second of eligibility as close to the field/practice area holding onto every last second, the other left as fast as he could. 1 statue
Well the bar for statues isn’t set very high. The one we have now had two winless seasons, sanctions by NCAA, and a player died.

The person who actually played Griffin in the correct spot and won a national championship should get one as well

Well the bar for statues isn’t set very high. The one we have now had two winless seasons, sanctions by NCAA, and a player died.

The person who actually played Griffin in the correct spot and won a national championship should get one as well
GOL was a good coach. I acknowledge he made a horrible mistake and got a man killed. He was also a bit of an asshole and set a bad vibe among the players which made life unnecessarily hard on them and exacerbated our poor performances. I personally dislike him, his style, and those who are like him but believe a statue for him is ok. I wouldn't vote "yes" on it but its already there so I'm not going to fight it.

That said, GOL built this program. Building programs or a series of championships is what gets you statues.

Frost did very well and I would give him an honorable mention but disagree with anyone getting a statue for two years of work who bailed as soon as they could. Of he stayed 5 years and won 3-4 conference championships it would be different.

If we give Frost a statue we're going to be building a new statue every 2 years for all of the coaches that keep leaving us in the future.

We should build Griffin a statue (money permitting) because there will never be another Griffin and his story is that of a college football legend (like Rudy).

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
GOL was a good coach. I acknowledge he made a horrible mistake and got a man killed. He was also a bit of an asshole and set a bad vibe among the players which made life unnecessarily hard on them and exacerbated our poor performances. I personally dislike him, his style, and those who are like him but believe a statue for him is ok. I wouldn't vote "yes" on it but its already there so I'm not going to fight it.

That said, GOL built this program. Building programs or a series of championships is what gets you statues.

Frost did very well and I would give him an honorable mention but disagree with anyone getting a statue for two years of work who bailed as soon as they could. Of he stayed 5 years and won 3-4 conference championships it would be different.

If we give Frost a statue we're going to be building a new statue every 2 years for all of the coaches that keep leaving us in the future.

We should build Griffin a statue (money permitting) because there will never be another Griffin and his story is that of a college football legend (like Rudy).
McDowell, griffin, culpepper, and frost all deserve one

GOL was a good coach. I acknowledge he made a horrible mistake and got a man killed.
So have dozens of other coaches in the US, including at several other state universities in Florida.

Remember, the only reason we even 'heard about it' -- constantly, over 5+ years -- is because a lawyer got one (1), single judge (later overturned by the State Supreme Court) to agree that UCF -- unlike all others in Florida -- weren't subject to the US$200K cap. That's it. That's the only reason.

I'm not trying to minimize the death of a player. But this happens constantly, and if we're going to evaluate GOL on this one (1) event, then we need to take down a lot of lauded coaches with him.

He was also a bit of an asshole and set a bad vibe among the players which made life unnecessarily hard on them and exacerbated our poor performances.
One man's a-hole is another man's well-regarded leader.

I personally dislike him, his style, and those who are like him but believe a statue for him is ok. I wouldn't vote "yes" on it but its already there so I'm not going to fight it.
GOL not playing Griffin was a tragedy. A lot of people have tried to 'explain that way,' but still ... Griffin should have been playing sooner, much sooner, in a role, any role, and not on the 'scout team.'

The very fact that Griffin is such a strong character in the first place, much stronger than virtually any of us at that age, is really what I think GOL missed in this young man.

But if we were to knock off every coach over a bad decision or bias, there would be no coaches.

Indeed. Like GOL or not, GOL's vision of UCF is what he built. He fulfilled the Top 10 promise, and filled our trophy case. A lot of things happened outside of GOL to make that happen.

But he was the catalyst, along with Orsini. Orsini said it best, and this was first-hand to me at the Hawaii Bowl, "I need the GOL program." It was a vision of what could be.

Eventually I envision a lot of statues at UCF, or at least some 'busts.' I have no problem if Frost gets one, along with McDowell and even Kruzeck.

I wouldn't compare him to 'Rudy,' because that's a bit of a 'controversy.'

But yes, a statue for Griffin wouldn't be so much to 'honor' him, but more to 'represent' what he is to us ... beyond just UCF.

Reactions: Wings0fred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT