ADVERTISEMENT

SI Writer scouting report of Tacko

BlakNGoldAllDay

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 21, 2016
It’s hard not to be enchanted with Fall, who at 7' 6" is the tallest player in college basketball. He is a native of Senegal who played soccer while he was growing up but transitioned to hoops when he grew to such astounding height. He came to the U.S. at the age of 16, went to high school and trained in Houston, and he is now in his second year at UCF. Yes, he’s raw, but the numbers suggest a significant improvement over last season: He went from scoring 7.4 points per game to 13.4; from 5.9 rebounds per game to 10.7; and from making 75.0% of his field goals to 79.3%. He’s also getting to the foul line twice as often, although his percentage has declined from 56 to 46.

I seriously doubt Fall will ever be an NBA player, but if he keeps working at his game and his body, he will have a chance to make money somewhere. Still, it’s a great story, and he’s an easy kid to root for. In an effort to answer Jason’s question, I logged onto Synergy to watch some video of Fall doing his thing on both ends of the floor. Here is my scouting report:

He sure is tall! . . . Love the goggles, can’t explain why . . . Can’t understand why anyone would drive at him, but they do . . . Gets more of his blocks away from the basket than you’d guess . . . Not real mobile defensively but not too bad at closing out on three-point shooters . . . Best option is to force him to defend ball screens . . . Offensively, he has zero explosiveness . . . Hands are not strong, either. If he brings the ball below his shoulder it often gets knocked away . . . No shooting range outside of a layup or dunk . . . Not a bad little baby hook when he gets it . . . Gets called for three seconds a lot. I didn’t realize that was still a rule . . . Would be a lot more effective under FIBA rules, which allow for offensive goaltending . . . No ability to recognize double teams and pass out of them . . . Poor balance offensively, knock him off his base and he will stumble . . . Can’t imagine how he flies coach.

Some people have bigger UCF goggles on than Tacko. Completely delusional. At this point, I'll go with the SI writer/scout and my unbiased visual assessment more than anything else.

However, because of his exponential improvement in such a short time, I would not say that he won't be an NBA player someday.

All need to remember that he is still young from a BBALL perspective. he has played all of 4-5 years of organized basketball. He had no real coaching in his freshman seasons. With the coaching and experience he is getting now there is no telling what he will become by his senior year.

All need to remember that he is still young from a BBALL perspective. he has played all of 4-5 years of organized basketball. He had no real coaching in his freshman seasons. With the coaching and experience he is getting now there is no telling what he will become by his senior year.

I completely agree. If he's anything like these guys, the sky is the limit!

Some people have bigger UCF goggles on than Tacko. Completely delusional. At this point, I'll go with the SI writer/scout and my unbiased visual assessment more than anything else.

However, because of his exponential improvement in such a short time, I would not say that he won't be an NBA player someday.
ya never know. I agree with you Mike...as usual.....but, he needs to be working on a post move against other centers and forwards :)

Reactions: Mikesi
Kareem had the hook, McCale (sp?) has the pivot, birdman had the intimidating tattoos, Shaq had the power, Dirk had the shooting jump shot range :)

Does anyone remember the spinning Spaniard at UCF. Forgot his name at the moment but he would spin and pivot to score.

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT