ADVERTISEMENT

Sling TV

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
I know we have discussed Sling TV, but my horrible memory is unreliable when trying to recall if anyone on here has subscribed yet.

With work and the Stanford trip, I haven't used it much in the last week, but I have zero complaints. 20 bucks for ESPN & ESPN2 ( I couldn't care less about the other channels in the basic package....maybe TNT/TBS during the NBA season ) ain't bad.

I will add the sports package ( ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Goal line, SEC network, ESPN Buzzer Beater ) soon, it's only 5 dollars more. Adding HBO is 15 dollars. I'll wait to do that in the offseason.

Connectivity wise, it works on every device you have. I think I tried it on my cheap Android phone over the cell network in the SF subway, and it was damn clear.

To put it on your TV, you have a few options. The easiest is to just go thru your Roku or Nexus TV boxes, or Fire stick. You can also, of course, plug in a device directly to your TV ( the option I prefer since I have extra devices that have no other real use anymore ). I suppose you can cast it from your device wirelessly, I just havent't gotten around to trying it yet.

Considering all I ever did was watch ESPN, HBO, and CNBC, this is pretty much everything I could ask for.

I forgot the biggest downside, you can only stream one channel at a time, and only to one device. You cannot watch ESPN on your tablet, and TBS on your tv with the same account.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightedIbis
We tried the service for the trial week. For ESPN it's great. You can use your login to access WatchESPN and that app works great. Outside of ESPN, it gets dicey.
There seems to be 3 types of channels on the service:
1) Strict content control. The Disney channels and ESPNs are this type. On these channels you can't fast forward or rewind at all. It's live or nothing (through the Sling app).
2) Semi-strict. These channels you can start any program that aired within the last 3 days, by going backwards through the guide. However once you start the program, there's no fast forward or rewind. I get it, they want to force you to watch the commercials. The annoying part comes in when you need to turn it off or the app crashes (happen quite a bit on the android app). Your choices then are to start the show from the beginning or well, actually that's it, there are no other options. There were a few channels like this (HGTV, TNT, can't really remember)
3) Full control. This is like having a DVR that records everything for 3 days.

If all the channels were like #3, I'm all in. However, right now, it was more annoying than anything else. That said, I did the eval outside of football season, right now almost everything I watch is ESPN or locals, so it probably wouldn't be a big deal. The limitations on the Disney Channel would still upset my kids if we switched though.

I've been a subscriber for a few months now, zero complaints. Had a long day at work yesterday so I started watching the loserville-Clemson game in the office. Lowered the bandwith a bit and had zero drops or freezes. That's on a Galaxy S5.

In case you didn't know, you can use your Sling credentials to sign up for the WATCHESPN app. Sometimes the stream on the ESPN app is more stable than the one on Sling.

It's a great product with a few downsides but it's definitely worth it. Now that the Apple TV has an app store, Sling has expressed interest in porting their app into the Apple TV. That's pretty big for them.

I've had it for 4 months now, no complaints outside it booting mid-program at times (right at end of last Fear the Walking Dead Episode, slightly pissed). I have had just basic package. I got it as we cut cable last November and wanted to get ESPN before football season. Hoping more channels can be added in future, but for now pretty happy with it. I'd rate it a 8/10 for value, channels, and quality of service.

Reactions: brahmanknight
I've had it since day one, just cancelled because they kept kicking me off. It would say that another user logged on to my account, however I haven't given my account password to anyone.

After this started happening multiple times a day, I sent them a WTF email, they told me to reset my password, which I did. That same day I was getting kicked off again. They didn't even respond to my second email, so I cancelled. Wish it would work but shit service and shit customer service kind of forced my hand.

I've been a subscriber for a few months now, zero complaints. Had a long day at work yesterday so I started watching the loserville-Clemson game in the office. Lowered the bandwith a bit and had zero drops or freezes. That's on a Galaxy S5.

In case you didn't know, you can use your Sling credentials to sign up for the WATCHESPN app. Sometimes the stream on the ESPN app is more stable than the one on Sling.

It's a great product with a few downsides but it's definitely worth it. Now that the Apple TV has an app store, Sling has expressed interest in porting their app into the Apple TV. That's pretty big for them.
I noticed this weekend I can do watchespn and Sling at the same time.

I like it.

Some folks call it a Sling TV, but I call it a Kaiser TV, um-hum.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the only time I tried it, it didn't work. They might've done something about it in the last update. Will check tonight.
Worked for me this weekend. I did get an error message when i started to do it again earlier today, but that could just as easily be shitty BrightHouse's internet service.

Reactions: jetsaholic
Did you guys have any drops or lag during the Monday night game? I had to drop the bandwith so that it would stop dropping the signal. Guess everybody and their mother wanted to check out what THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL LOOKS LIKE!!!!!!

But, really, any issues?

I tried it for 4 months earlier in the year and thought it was pretty good. I ended up canceling though because I came to the conclusion that cable was better value, more reliable, and even potentially cheaper for me.

Did you guys have any drops or lag during the Monday night game? I had to drop the bandwith so that it would stop dropping the signal. Guess everybody and their mother wanted to check out what THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL LOOKS LIKE!!!!!!

But, really, any issues?

Don't know. That's the middle of the night for me, so I didn't watch.

How? You pay less than $20 for cable?
I pay $100 for internet and TV with HBO. I also own all the hardware so I'm not paying any monthly fees for rented equipment. My current internet outside of the package would cost about $65. So with only the bare minimum of Sling, it'd be just $85 and that is cheaper. But then you add the $5 additional sports package and $15 for HBO Now like brahman suggested and now I'd be paying $105 for streaming video with a lot less channels.

Best case, I'd be able to cycle in a new promo price on internet every year for about $50 which would add up to $90. Then you're talking about a $10 difference and I'd say that there's easily $10 of value just by being able to watch UCF games on CBS Sports and FS1 when they're on there instead of ESPN let alone all the other things.

Reactions: jetsaholic
ADVERTISEMENT