ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

It will be interesting to see if this effects their sales numbers (negatively or positively).

Nike is free to endorse anybody they want. Just like players are free to kneel at the anthem. Those choices are not free from consequences.

It's definitely a new day. In the past, corporations would stay away from controversy as to not negatively impact earnings. The Chairman of Nike will get tossed overboard if this causes lower earnings. Not that he cares, he is probably already worth more than he can ever spend.

It will be interesting to see if this effects their sales numbers (negatively or positively).

Nike is free to endorse anybody they want. Just like players are free to kneel at the anthem. Those choices are not free from consequences.

It's definitely a new day. In the past, corporations would stay away from controversy as to not negatively impact earnings. The Chairman of Nike will get tossed overboard if this causes lower earnings. Not that he cares, he is probably already worth more than he can ever spend.
itll be interesting to see if its a positive/negative/neutral. i suspect negative

I can't believe people are burning their Nike stuff. That sh!t ain't cheap.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Most Nike shoes are at cheap price points. They are sold in shoe carnival, dsw, kohl's, marshalls, etc. They sell a lot of shoes that are sub $50. They also have a bunch of old dudes in their 70's wearing Nike so let's not make it out to be more than it is. It is an extremely large company that sells to all demographics. They build their shoes using cheap labor working 12 hours a day and using young labor too.

To me this marketing campaign is a big fail. Their stock was down $2.50 today

I don't think the campaign is a fail at all - they're actually really nice ads. You personally don't like one person being featured (as the main feature) - however - there are many people who also applaud it.

Shaquem has an ad as part of this campaign FYI.

You think Nike cares what dusty old baby boomers think about the ad campaign? You're not their market. You're going to spend 39.99 on a pair of New Balance no matter what. Nike remains cool and looks even cooler by making old dusty farts upset.

10/10 marketing.

Since you're likely a SJW. Would you feel supportive of a player with anti-Muslim socks? You know the anti-pig socks that Colin wears or Castro shirts.

Reactions: UCFWayne
You can see that NFL ratings dropped and down 2 straight years at over 10% less viewers. Let's just say the Nike backlash is only 2.5% in North America. They make $15 billion in the north american segment in shoes and apparel (mostly shoes). That is a loss of $375,000,000 revenue. That is a huge chunk and that is a very small backlash.

That is a very real possibility and a dumb move for the risk.

Can you point to any actual data that suggests that Colin Kaepernick is the reason for those drops?

IMO - the NFL is experiencing a decline due to quite a few things - maybe, maybe some of it has to do to the kneeling but I think the bigger issue is just lazy marketing overall. They're a "victim" of thinking they're too powerful and can just go along with the status quo and be fine.

Can you point to any actual data that suggests that Colin Kaepernick is the reason for those drops?

IMO - the NFL is experiencing a decline due to quite a few things - maybe, maybe some of it has to do to the kneeling but I think the bigger issue is just lazy marketing overall. They're a "victim" of thinking they're too powerful and can just go along with the status quo and be fine.

Also don't forget our shit for brains classless POTUS illegally attacking the NFL and Amazon and his many other political enemies, not helping them out

Let me first say I respect you. You seem really reasonable in a board filled with wackos. The NFL ratings sank exactly at the time of the kneeling. I have probably watched 4 NFL games in 2 years. Probably down from 25 games the prior year. I'm sure there are actual polls, but I'm too lazy to look. I know first hand that my interest in the NFL is almost zero. I don't think the average person is going to look at Kaepernick favorably after wearing pig socks and disrespecting our flag.

I’ve lost some interest too, around the same time as well. It’s mostly because the franchise I root for is a disaster (Dolphins) and haven’t been good since way before I was born.

I’m sure the NFL did lose some fans from the kneeling but it all honestly it was more than that. If you’re truly a fan of something, you’re not going to walk away that easily.

jnT9Zfh.jpg

Reactions: MACHater02
Nike's business model --- "create marketing programs to exploit and exhaust minority wealth".... Makes perfect sense.

Certain minorities seem prone to spend their spend their money on $200 shoes. Meanwhile....not enough food to properly feed kids, no money for school tutors, no funds after school care....

This is no different than the liquor billboards in the low income neighborhoods. NIKE comes off as the SJW but in reality, it's a scumbag move. But hey....cheer it on....they dont know better.

I hate communists like yourself. Why do you hate capitalism?

Let me first say I respect you. You seem really reasonable in a board filled with wackos. The NFL ratings sank exactly at the time of the kneeling. I have probably watched 4 NFL games in 2 years. Probably down from 25 games the prior year. I'm sure there are actual polls, but I'm too lazy to look. I know first hand that my interest in the NFL is almost zero. I don't think the average person is going to look at Kaepernick favorably after wearing pig socks and disrespecting our flag.

I think there are several factors at play and Kaep is one of them. Another is the CTE issue. There are many people who are at odds with the way that the NFL has handled NUMEROUS players and their health. There are many people who have put their kids in t-ball or soccer instead of football. That has to play into as well. Another could be the way that the NFL handled the Ray Rice domestic violence incident and other player suspensions. I have several female friends who were die hard NFL fans who haven't watched a game after the Rice debacle.

A huge factor, too, IMO is the quality of the product on the field. Take a look at the current status of the game: it's not one that's as exciting as it has been. Think of all of the high-profile athletes who missed playing time last season. It doesn't help when your best players aren't playing and some stiff who was on a milk carton the week before is now your starting QB/LB/RB, etc. I don't know what the solution to that is. It's an inherently violent game and the players are getting bigger/stronger/faster every year. There will be/is a point where all of that brute athleticism produces diminishing returns.

You think Nike cares what dusty old baby boomers think about the ad campaign? You're not their market. You're going to spend 39.99 on a pair of New Balance no matter what. Nike remains cool and looks even cooler by making old dusty farts upset.

10/10 marketing.
I’ve spent well over $1,000 of Nike sneakers in the past year. I’m pretty sure they care.

I can't believe people are burning their Nike stuff. That sh!t ain't cheap.
The shoes that people are burning are cheap. Those are old man grass cutting Nikes that you get at Payless. Nike doesn't want to make those anymore.

Love how there is already more outrage from republicans in this thread about a god damn ad campaign then over the Catholic Church raping thousands of children.

Idgaf about their ad campaign or the shittu QB they feature . But the mouthy posters making fun of people they know zero about , if they don’t buy Nike I promise you it will hurt . Keep kidding yourself ,

These are unsuccessful people who shop at Payless scoffing at the idea that Sir G can afford a lot of Nikes

The SJW crowd will eventually turn on and cannibalize Nike. 12 year olds in China working 14 hour shifts for 25 cents a day to supply a greedy capitalist corporation with $200 shoes? Bernie Sanders and George Soros must be creaming their shorts in anticipation.

These are unsuccessful people who shop at Payless scoffing at the idea that Sir G can afford a lot of Nikes

No you stupid fuk. $1,000 of nike in a single year is not "a lot of nikes". It's a complete and utter bullshit number. Even at $100 a pair thats nearly one a month. Thats literally bullshit. No one buys a new pair of the same type of shoes a month. Just more lies from our resident racist.

This will make their brand stronger.
You might be right but I doubt it . It’s much easier to stop spending than to start . I will still buy the shirts and stuff that I buy . But agree or not huge numbers of folks refuse to watch the nfl because of the anthem controversy . I’m not one but I knit plenty . No one is suddenly buying tickets because of the kneeling . They talk a little shit in social media and that’s it

No you stupid fuk. $1,000 of nike in a single year is not "a lot of nikes". It's a complete and utter bullshit number. Even at $100 a pair thats nearly one a month. Thats literally bullshit. No one buys a new pair of the same type of shoes a month. Just more lies from our resident racist.
It's fine. Nike will be ok because I'm increasing my $2,000 per year Nike budget to $4,000 a year.

LOL! What a dumb business move.
You are
Dude, he always has the latest pair of J's.

I know this is hard for people to grasp but decline in viewership is coming from both sides of the issue. Even more precipitously with young black viewers. Overall numbers aren't as high obviously but the point remains that viewership is tremendously layered. Your anecdotal evidence is no better than me saying me and my friends/family are watching less NFL and Colin has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKnight
I know this is hard for people to grasp but decline in viewership is coming from both sides of the issue. Even more precipitously with young black viewers. Overall numbers aren't as high obviously but the point remains that viewership is tremendously layered. Your anecdotal evidence is no better than me saying me and my friends/family are watching less NFL and Colin has nothing to do with it.

Sure. But given the way the NFL is desperately trying to curb the optics of these kneelers and Colin K sympathizers, they must have internal data showing this is a major viewership problem for them.

Yeah right
A son that plays high school baseball and a wife that plays competitive tennis and all of us run at least one 5k or 10k a month and I passed $1,000 month’s ago. Maybe Nike doesn’t care about people with families but don’t tell me they won’t feel it. They made their choice and for us, Nike is far from the best running shoe, there is better tennis and baseball gear out there as well.

A son that plays high school baseball and a wife that plays competitive tennis and all of us run at least one 5k or 10k a month and I passed $1,000 month’s ago. Maybe Nike doesn’t care about people with families but don’t tell me they won’t feel it. They made their choice and for us, Nike is far from the best running shoe, there is better tennis and baseball gear out there as well.
Why haven't you been treating your family to the best options?

You might be right (brand gets stronger) but I doubt it . It’s much easier to stop spending than to start.

Whether Nike turns out to have made a good or a bad decision remains to be seen. But you can bet that it was based on serious market research. Nike didn't get to be Nike by making poor marketing decisions.

I smile when I hear the Blowhards say they won't buy Nike sneakers again (because the vast majority of them never wore them in the first place.)

But agree or not huge numbers of folks refuse to watch the nfl because of the anthem controversy . I’m not one but I knit plenty .

The notion that viewership has dropped due to the anthem controversy is ridiculous. The NFL ratings, while down from their record highs, still dominate every other sport by comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT