ADVERTISEMENT

Some WTF recruiting class rankings

Do they still get a good number of their players after they complete their mission trips? If so, those players would not be included in the rankings since they did not come straight from high school.

BYU 100
Temple 97
Louisville 88

What is the deal with BYU?
Do you want to go to a school you can’t swear, drink alcohol or coffee and have to take their religion classes? Me either. They were getting Samoan and Hawaii kids. Now even we are. The pipeline has shut down.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Do they still get a good number of their players after they complete their mission trips? If so, those players would not be included in the rankings since they did not come straight from high school.
but they would have been counted in previous recruiting classes (like the class of 2017 for those returning this year for example).

BYU is unique in that mormons go on mission for a year (1 year, 2 years maybe?) so even with a lower ranked recruiting class, the average age of their team is higher than others.

UCLA would qualify as wtf, 44th ranked(8th in the Pac) on 247 with only one 4*

saw the rumors that Chip hated recruiting, he must be mailing it in bc that should be a pretty easy place to recruit to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asphalt.Jungle
I’ll take an 18 year old Daunte Culpepper over a 23 year old 2 star QB BYU has 90% of the time.
But think about the 25 year old RS senior offensive lineman. And it’s not like UCF has a Daunte every year either. The point was, I think, that their low ranking may be somewhat deceiving. Some of the kids included in that #100 ranking will be two years older/stronger/more mature before they even step on campus.

But think about the 25 year old RS senior offensive lineman. And it’s not like UCF has a Daunte every year either. The point was, I think, that their low ranking may be somewhat deceiving. Some of the kids included in that #100 ranking will be two years older/stronger/more mature before they even step on campus.
I equate BYU's age advantage to PEDs, having backed up 26 year olds fill your roster isn't fair

This. They have maturity on the lines and they know what they will have 2-4 years from now at those positions.

A walk on doesn't count toward the 85 limit, they don't eat meals at the training table and they don't dress for games as far as I know. They are practice bodies. A preferred walk on players do earn scholarships before theiron does eat with the scholarship players. walk on programs, if implemented correctly can really help a program. Under Tom Osborn (sp) Nebraska's walkon program was awesome. Also, some walk-on players do earn full or partial scholarships during their careers

A walk on doesn't count toward the 85 limit, they don't eat meals at the training table and they don't dress for games as far as I know. They are practice bodies. A preferred walk on players do earn scholarships before theiron does eat with the scholarship players. walk on programs, if implemented correctly can really help a program. Under Tom Osborn (sp) Nebraska's walkon program was awesome. Also, some walk-on players do earn full or partial scholarships during their careers

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ge-football-walk-ons-uphill-battle-can-be-won

Not exactly Harry.......

Typically, walk-ons are entitled to the same medical, training, dining, and equipment benefits as scholarship athletes. But occasionally, especially at smaller, non-FBS colleges, they're relegated to substandard locker-room annexes or denied access to the main training table.

Reactions: Mikesi
The main difference between a walk-in and scholarship player is that PWO pays his own tuition and housing and does not count against the 85 scholarship limit.

Car Dealership?
They may have started to let them work again not sure. But it was impermissible before because players were being paid $50 K a year to turn lights on in morning and off at night at the gyms and rec centers. I think the business can’t advertise the player working there. Not sure if a monetary cap though.

They may have started to let them work again not sure. But it was impermissible before because players were being paid $50 K a year to turn lights on in morning and off at night at the gyms and rec centers. I think the business can’t advertise the player working there. Not sure if a monetary cap though.

It was a normal almost minimum wage gig. No special treatment, and they rarely worked because their schedules were so constricting.

It was a normal almost minimum wage gig. No special treatment, and they rarely worked because their schedules were so constricting.
I remember during the O’leary days where he’d do mini pressers at the Moat, he talked about a player who was supposed to be working there but wasn’t around and quipped he must not be too bright if he’s skipping work when the coach was gonna be there.

That is literally the job my brother had when he was a scholarship basketball player. This was the early 80's. He was on a full ride, but he also had this "job" on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT