ADVERTISEMENT

spear fisherman of the cooler

Awesome.
Slings are great, i'm headed to the Keys next friday for 10 days, hope to put a spear through plenty of SNapper and Grouper - and lionfish of course so i can up my lobster limit and protect our reefs. Where'd you go out?

We usually head out of Bradenton or Gasparilla. We spear on scuba with guns. Loaded up on hogfish and gags on the opening day of gag season. My two favorite fish to eat.

Reactions: ReginaeUCF
Awesome.
Slings are great, i'm headed to the Keys next friday for 10 days, hope to put a spear through plenty of SNapper and Grouper - and lionfish of course so i can up my lobster limit and protect our reefs. Where'd you go out?
There is a restaurant in the Keys that is making lionfish. I didn't go to it, but I was talking to one of the mates on the snorkeling boat I went out on and he goes spearfishing for lion fish on his days off and sells them to the guy.

There is a restaurant in the Keys that is making lionfish. I didn't go to it, but I was talking to one of the mates on the snorkeling boat I went out on and he goes spearfishing for lion fish on his days off and sells them to the guy.
Interesting. I know it is supposed to be very good, but i'm a little afraid to try preparing it myself. I guess that's what YouTube and Google is for.

Interesting. I know it is supposed to be very good, but i'm a little afraid to try preparing it myself. I guess that's what YouTube and Google is for.

A quick Google search will give you confidence. There are lots of videos to watch. You just have to be careful.

Reginae we stay in key colony . For spear fishing I highly recommend going to tripod banks , tons of hog snapper and a few grouper as well . Plenty of reef fish to look at . The water is super clear . We just cruised around zig zagging over the grass and stopped and snorkeled the Rock holes . They stick out like a sore thumb , nice white patches . Just make sure you are out far enough if you go , inshore from the banks didn't seem to have enough Rock to be productive

My favorite pastime hands down. Hogs are stupid easy to shoot, try getting a nice gag, they spook really easy. You will be addicted.

I tried a gag grouper and missed him for no reason . I was pissed . Just being in the water like they and taking fish without a rod and reel was a huge rush . My girls are the spotters . Can't wait till next summer now for sure

Not a fan. This is like walking up on a buck and shooting it from 20 yards away.

Not a fan. This is like walking up on a buck and shooting it from 20 yards away.

Yes, except the buck is underwater, and can breath underwater and can move faster than you, see farther than you and has a million buddies who are 5 times your size just waiting to turn you into a snack.

So in other words its nothing like what you just said.

Put a spear though a couple nice grouper and a ~15lb cubera. Caught a ton of lobster and free-lined dolphin a couple day (20+ one day between 3 of us in about 4 hours)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT