ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football

UCFVanWilder

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2017
Winter Springs
Ive been expecting this for months and it looks like the dominos are falling. This is a best case scenario for us financially so I'm good with it. It will be a great way to start 2021!

Last edited:
Pac12 players that threatened to not play, welp here you go..decision was made for you

Reactions: UCFSig
Ive been expecting this for months and it looks like the dominoes are falling. This is a best case scenario for us financially so I'm good with it. It will be a great way to start 2021!
they didn't have an effective plan for fall, I doubt they will figure out spring any better. probably continue the cat and mouse game like they did all summer unless there is a vaccine

they didn't have an effective plan for fall, I doubt they will figure out spring any better. probably continue the cat and mouse game like they did all summer unless there is a vaccine

Just run it Jan-April with bowls in May. Its not like any other teams use the stadiums. Those northern teams will love FL heat for the May bowl games.

This will kill college basketball which is played at same time. Our basketball revenue will plummet. That’s not good for us either.

Reactions: Yaes
2 seasons in 1 calendar year seems like it would be detrimental to player's health just like Covid would be.
I heard a lot of people saying that before (and I think we had the conversation on here as well) but I think it could be done safely. They'd have to start early-early like Jan 1st, adjust schedules, coaches and the rest of the staff would have to be smart, etc. but a couple of months off in between is more than enough time to recover from regular competition associated fatigue. Of course athletes who got injured might not be able to play at the start of the next season.

Talking crazy here. January through spring is right in the middle of flu season. Can’t take that chance. Cancel Spring sports. Just too many unknowns. And Cancelling spring would provide more time to refine college kids demand letters for wokeness For when the world is 100% safe to step outside.

all the athletes could work at the 100% essential safe spaces for Target Walmart Lowe’s and ABC liquor for replacement scholarship money with zero Risk of flu In the interim. The science says those places are safe

Last edited:
Talking crazy here. January through spring is right in the middle of flu season. Can’t take that chance. Cancel Spring sports. Just too many unknowns. And Cancelling spring would provide more time to refine college kids demand letters for wokeness For when the world is 100% safe to step outside.

all the athletes could work at the 100% essential safe spaces for Target Walmart Lowe’s and ABC liquor for replacement scholarship money with zero Risk of flu In the interim. The science says those places are safe

i was actually with you in the first few sentences. Flu season IS worrisome, because the reasons for why the flu is worse in spring (weather, staying indoors, ventilated air) is the same reason to worry about covid if there is still no cure or treatment.

Obviously a tough message on the football message board but... here goes...

Target/Walmart are essential so people can buy essentials (food). what does society really lose with no football? why is football essential?

i was actually with you in the first few sentences. Flu season IS worrisome, because the reasons for why the flu is worse in spring (weather, staying indoors, ventilated air) is the same reason to worry about covid if there is still no cure or treatment.

Target/Walmart are essential so people can buy essentials (food). what does society really lose with no football? why is football essential?
BS. There are plenty of food stores that sell just food.

just like ABC liquors is essential. And dog parks And beaches. And Disney. It’s all so sciency.

btw Science steak ribeyes are on sale at Lowe’s hardware for the last 3 months if you live in a food desert. I scienced on those Grocery things 3 times a week along with 1000s and 1000s of other Starving folks searching for their essential landscaping decorations and paint To eat. Its science. Too many unknowns. Unless you are in one of these completely safe places

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew-C-F
TBLightning first Stanley cup 5 OT game tonite was awesome! Watched it all Lightning set all kinds of records For shots on goal minutes played. Saves. Longest game in franchise history. 5th longest game in NHL history with extremely remote threat Possibility of flu looming. And least amount of sweat droplets and spit ever exchanged Between athletes in a Full contact hockey game For Over four hours. All that Despite only helmet visors that barely cover the eyes. Maybe the ice is like the new russian COVID vaccine ice. Gotta love science. There must not be any Science unkowns in hockey. Damn Canadians.

Reactions: SimpleJack53

Why is anything essential? Why is a cellphone essential? Mankind lived without it for tens of thousands of years but somehow managed to procreate and survive/thrive.

Why is your dog or cat essential? Could you not survive without them?

In fact, are you and I essential? If we both died would humanity survive? My best guess based on history so far is.....yes.

Is a car essential? Some might answer yes but until 134 years ago they didn't exist. Somehow before that mankind managed to procreate and survive/thrive. Then you get into secondary questions like whether I really need a big SUV when a Corolla is actually good enough? Is it essential or not?

Something is essential because people deem it so, and people are going to differ on that choice. So yes, some people feel it is essential, and others do not.

If it's just about the "essentials" then why are Target/Walmart also allowed to sell stuff that is non-essential? I can go buy golf balls, carpets for my bathroom or a doll. In fact, why does anybody get to decide what is essential or not essential for other people? That's what makes America great. Demand creates a product/service, or vice-versa. Somebody doesn't decide that for us.

To make things simple I'll stick with the food theme. How does anybody know what is essential to me? Is it rice? Twinkies? Raman Noodles? Cottage cheese? Ham? I'm pretty certain I could survive on those foods if they were the only foods that existed, yet I can go to the store right now and buy any of them, or none of them.

Last edited:
Why is anything essential? Why is a cellphone essential? Mankind lived without it for tens of thousands of years but somehow managed to procreate and survive/thrive.

Why is your dog or cat essential? Could you not survive without them?

In fact, are you and I essential? If we both died would humanity survive? My best guess based on history so far is.....yes.

Is a car essential? Some might answer yes but until 134 years ago they didn't exist. Somehow before that mankind managed to procreate and survive/thrive. Then you get into secondary questions like whether I really need a big SUV when a Corolla is actually good enough? Is it essential or not?

Something is essential because people deem it so, and people are going to differ on that choice. So yes, some people feel it is essential, and others do not.

If it's just about the "essentials" then why are Target/Walmart also allowed to sell stuff that is non-essential? I can go buy golf balls, carpets for my bathroom or a doll. In fact, why does anybody get to decide what is essential or not essential for other people? That's what makes America great. Demand creates a product/service, or vice-versa. Somebody doesn't decide that for us.

To make things simple I'll stick with the food theme. How does anybody know what is essential to me? Is it rice? Twinkies? Raman Noodles? Cottage cheese? Ham? I'm pretty certain I could survive on those foods if they were the only foods that existed, yet I can go to the store right now and buy any of them, or none of them.

Why is WWE essential?

Reactions: Robert0122
Just run it Jan-April with bowls in May. Its not like any other teams use the stadiums. Those northern teams will love FL heat for the May bowl games.

I would say southern teams playing in Jan-Feb up north will be more of a factor. Memphis and Greenville average in the 30s at night, never mind teams travelling to Cincy or Temple. Also all the logistics when a winter storm messes up travelling.

Spring football is a solution that will end up watering down the product and likely impact the following fall season. Don't mess up two seasons, just to try to salvage one.

In my humble opinion the Big 10 is just dangling the possibility of spring football in the conversation. I don't believe it is going to happen. The only good that could come out of this is an expanded playoff system. forced by a shorten season. :cool:

BS. There are plenty of food stores that sell just food.

just like ABC liquors is essential. And dog parks And beaches. And Disney. It’s all so sciency.

btw Science steak ribeyes are on sale at Lowe’s hardware for the last 3 months if you live in a food desert. I scienced on those Grocery things 3 times a week along with 1000s and 1000s of other Starving folks searching for their essential landscaping decorations and paint To eat. Its science. Too many unknowns. Unless you are in one of these completely safe places

You are 100% correct, we need to shut MORE stuff down... not less... and not open too early because of politics

Disney should be closed, dog parks should be closed, landscaping should be closed, f’ing WWE should be closed ...none of those are more essential than football

here’s some actual science a 1st grader can understand:
- NJ where cut cases by 90% (NJ went from 4K per day to 400 per day) by closing stupid $h!t like dog parks and theme parks
- FL cases went up 1,000% (700 per day to 7000 per day) by opening stupid $h!t like theme parks

Last edited:
You are 100% correct, we need to shut MORE stuff down... not less, and not open too early because of politics

Disney should be closed, dog parks should be closed, landscaping should be closed...none of those are more essential than football

Or we could just live our lives instead of hiding in fear.

I have much more faith in GOD. Than these flip flopping medical professionals. If we stay home or not to go to walmart kr homedepot, not the mom and pop stores.
If we wash our hands.
Don't wear masks they don't really do anything. Now wear masks they might do something but we dont know.
We need testing, the tests arent fast enough.
Summer will stop it, its cant live in the heat.
None of their advice have worked to stop this virus.
The stay at home truly did delay the spread, but when we came outside, we started spreading it again.

News flash its a virus, we are all going to get it! The only doubt is when you will get it.

Do you ever touch your mask? When was the last time you washed your mask? Do you think everyone else is washing their masks? Does your mask make you feel safe?

Lets keep offering over our rights and freedoms in the name of saftey from a 99.98% survival rate.

Heres an idea. Water parks are safe. The chlorine kills the virus. Just mist everyone with chlorine water. We still play football in the rain right?

It’s not
It’s pretty damn essential for those make a living doing it, or working for that company in some other capacity, or a vendor/subcontractor getting paid. I know I’m a fan. Been watching it every Monday night since it came back on after all other sports shut down. Supporting that specific sports-entertainment product is essential to me.

TBLightning first Stanley cup 5 OT game tonite was awesome! Watched it all Lightning set all kinds of records For shots on goal minutes played. Saves. Longest game in franchise history. 5th longest game in NHL history with extremely remote threat Possibility of flu looming. And least amount of sweat droplets and spit ever exchanged Between athletes in a Full contact hockey game For Over four hours. All that Despite only helmet visors that barely cover the eyes. Maybe the ice is like the new russian COVID vaccine ice. Gotta love science. There must not be any Science unkowns in hockey. Damn Canadians.

You do know that the NHL is using a bubble concept with players in isolation, right? Are you proposing a something similar for college football? Otherwise, that’s a poor comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Or we could just live our lives instead of hiding in fear.

I have much more faith in GOD. Than these flip flopping medical professionals. If we stay home or not to go to walmart kr homedepot, not the mom and pop stores.
If we wash our hands.
Don't wear masks they don't really do anything. Now wear masks they might do something but we dont know.
We need testing, the tests arent fast enough.
Summer will stop it, its cant live in the heat.
None of their advice have worked to stop this virus.
The stay at home truly did delay the spread, but when we came outside, we started spreading it again.

News flash its a virus, we are all going to get it! The only doubt is when you will get it.

Do you ever touch your mask? When was the last time you washed your mask? Do you think everyone else is washing their masks? Does your mask make you feel safe?

Lets keep offering over our rights and freedoms in the name of saftey from a 99.98% survival rate.

Heres an idea. Water parks are safe. The chlorine kills the virus. Just mist everyone with chlorine water. We still play football in the rain right?
Looks like simple jack has gone full retard....

You are 100% correct, we need to shut MORE stuff down... not less... and not open too early because of politics

Disney should be closed, dog parks should be closed, landscaping should be closed, f’ing WWE should be closed ...none of those are more essential than football

here’s some actual science a 1st grader can understand:
- NJ where cut cases by 90% (NJ went from 4K per day to 400 per day) by closing stupid $h!t like dog parks and theme parks
- FL cases went up 1,000% (700 per day to 7000 per day) by opening stupid $h!t like theme parks
Somebody needs to be locked in their basement with the curtains drawn while the rest of us live life without smug bs sciency types preaching nonsense to us. Science is the belief in the ignorance and arrogance of the so called experts.

You do know that the NHL is using a bubble concept with players in isolation, right? Are you proposing a something similar for college football? Otherwise, that’s a poor comparison.
Then send them home away from the controlled campus environment to shop at Lowe’s and buy liquor at abc and go to restaurants And hang out with friends. Thats safer right? So much I’ll logical science At play here.

Then send them home away from the controlled campus environment to shop at Lowe’s and buy liquor at abc and go to restaurants And hang out with friends. Thats safer right? So much I’ll logical science At play here.

Ummm, I literally have no idea what you are trying to say. In no way does this reply resemble a rational coherent thought, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. Seriously though, in no way did you manage to reply to the question in my post...just spouted our incoherently about Lowe’s or something....

Ummm, I literally have no idea what you are trying to say. In no way does this reply resemble a rational coherent thought, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. Seriously though, in no way did you manage to reply to the question in my post...just spouted our incoherently about Lowe’s or something....
How original. You lost your way just like the little puppy.

The campus controlled environment (Aka the Puppy Bubble on campus) with limited Public interactions and constant testing And medicallly supervised Activities seems Like it would be in the athletes better interest than kicking them home and they scatter and are doing whatever stuff they do there. I’m not sure I can dumb that point down further for you.

The campus controlled environment (Aka the Puppy Bubble on campus) with limited Public interactions and constant testing And medicallly supervised Activities seems Like it would be in the athletes better interest than kicking them home and they scatter and are doing whatever stuff they do there. I’m not sure I can dumb that point down further for you.

The UCF campus is a bubble? Has college life radically changed recently that I’m not aware of? Please explain. Not sure why you assume that them going home would be better then group practices multiple times per week and adding on cross country travel. Doesn’t seem like you have a very high opinion of the intelligence of our athletes.

To my original point, your comparison to the NHL was in no way comparable given that they are paid professionals living in isolation - try that with unpaid college athletes,

Reactions: UCFVanWilder

Why would they be sent home? They are college students...they would still go to class. The cost associated with testing, the availability of testing, and the reliability of testing are the biggest problems. Also, how are you going to bubble college kids who arnt paid athletes? They will interact with other college kids at the very least many of whom will have spent the night before doing the opposite of social distancing.

Was that dumbed down for you enough?

The UCF campus is a bubble? Has college life radically changed recently that I’m not aware of? Please explain. Not sure why you assume that them going home would be better then group practices multiple times per week and adding on cross country travel. Doesn’t seem like you have a very high opinion of the intelligence of our athletes.

To my original point, your comparison to the NHL was in no way comparable given that they are paid professionals living in isolation - try that with unpaid college athletes,
Some people just dont get it....i gave up a few months ago

Some people just dont get it....i gave up a few months ago

We don’t get what, irrational statements not supported by facts? It would probably be best for everyone if you just gave up, but I’m sure you will continue...

Why would they be sent home? They are college students...they would still go to class. The cost associated with testing, the availability of testing, and the reliability of testing are the biggest problems. Also, how are you going to bubble college kids who arnt paid athletes? They will interact with other college kids at the very least many of whom will have spent the night before doing the opposite of social distancing.

Was that dumbed down for you enough?
So. Campus is perfectly safe With minimal precautions. Thank you.

If school is in session, football should be too. They can go to class and parties but not play the game they are really there for? I doubt it. Either online courses or football is on.

If school is in session, football should be too. They can go to class and parties but not play the game they are really there for? I doubt it. Either online courses or football is on.

Suspension in person classes is very likely at some point, particularly early on. Multiple high schools have already closed in different states because of students testing positive. It's pretty much inevitable.

It's why many people chose home schooling for at least the fall, not because they are worried about kids getting sick, but because schools will close temporarily at times and that's more of a hassle.

We don’t get what, irrational statements not supported by facts? It would probably be best for everyone if you just gave up, but I’m sure you will continue...
rob...my man I was agreeing with you lol. That was not directed towards you.

Last edited:
So. Campus is perfectly safe With minimal precautions. Thank you.
At what point did I say campus is safe? Outside of a football setting, individuals have the ability to limit exposure using masks and social distancing. Key word is limit exposure, still a serious exposure.
My personal opinion is classes should continue online until we have adequate and accurate testing but we lack any true leadership at the federal and state level.

In football, the ability to limit exposure is changed. No longer can social distancing truly occur so you must rely on testing to limit the spread. I encourage everyone to listen to Marc Daniel's take on this during Monday's "the bridge" segment with Bianchi. The cost and reliability of testing is a huge problem for college athletics. Even if we do everything right, many of the schools we be playing might not be which then creates another issue.

Marc's take is for the most accurate test we are looking well north of $100 per test. You will be testing 3 times a week and everyone involved with student athletics would be tested. This is a serious cost burden that many schools (maybe even ours) cant afford.

I don't see the point in playing spring football. If were gonna wait til next year, just wait til fall when everything is more likely to be normal. Are we gonna go straight from spring ball into summer practices, into fall practice, then fall games? Potentially 9 straight months of wear on the team? Sounds like a good way to get injuries and fatigue.

Reactions: mattropolis
I don't see the point in playing spring football. If were gonna wait til next year, just wait til fall when everything is more likely to be normal. Are we gonna go straight from spring ball into summer practices, into fall practice, then fall games? Potentially 9 straight months of wear on the team? Sounds like a good way to get injuries and fatigue.
Im figuring we will have a shortened spring season and then the 2021 fall season will have a later start. Back to normal in 2022

Reactions: Knight Strength
2 seasons in 1 calendar year seems like it would be detrimental to player's health just like Covid would be.
2 seasons in 1.5 years. Play some games this fall, some in the spring, some next fall. Replaces Spring practice. The players would be healthier with multiple shorter seasons.

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT