ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice 🍖🏈🍻🍀🌞

Best deep-ball catchers

Even the best deep-ball thrower still needs someone to reel the pass in.

Rankings criteria: at least 1.5 targets per game with air yardage of 20+ yards. Players are ranked on catch rate and yards per catch, with extra credit given to larger target numbers.
5. Romeo Doubs, Nevada
Stat line:
3.3 long targets per game, 37% catch rate, 48.9 yards per catch
The Matt Mumme offense is one of quick, easy efficiency throws. Nevada is one of the favorites in the MWC West, however, because Doubs will punish any defensive back who anticipates the short ball.
4. Jaylon Robinson, UCF
Stat line:
2.0 long targets per game, 55% catch rate, 42.2 yards per catch
New head coach Gus Malzahn inherits a skill corps hit pretty hard by attrition, but quarterback Dillon Gabriel will still have both Robinson and Ryan O'Keefe, under-6-foot speedsters who each averaged at least 17.8 yards per catch.
3. Jalen Nailor, Michigan State
Stat line:
2.4 long targets per game, 41% catch rate, 46.7 yards per catch
If Michigan State was making a big play in 2020, it was almost certainly Nailor or freshman Ricky Whitedoing the damage. Just imagine what Nailor could do with any semblance of a run game for opponents to fear.
2. Jaylen Hall, Western Michigan
Stat line:
2.2 long targets per game, 46% catch rate, 50.6 yards per catch
Eleby-to-Hall is one of the most proven and scary combinations in

1. Khalil Shakir, Boise State
Stat line:
2.4 long targets per game, 53% catch rate, 40.2 yards per catch
As with Nailor, Shakir was saddled with having to make most of his team's big plays. But damned if he didn't pull it off quite a bit.

I would put good money on the German kid not playing many reps in his career. SMH.
#69. I dont want to write his name. Look at the clip I quoted.

😂 This comment was the first thing I thought of when I saw this clip

I still have faith in the German, hes 6'10 thats NFL size he just needs to learn the game fast and it could change his life

Reactions: U C to the F
😂 This comment was the first thing I thought of when I saw this clip

I still have faith in the German, hes 6'10 thats NFL size he just needs to learn the game fast and it could change his life
that's actually not NFL size, that's too tall. ideal NFL size for a tackle is 6'6". 6"9" and above is not normal at all and takes a very special athlete like a Jonathan Ogden to make that work. there was a 6'10" all-sec lineman at arkansas a few years ago and he went undrafted.

that's actually not NFL size, that's too tall. ideal NFL size for a tackle is 6'6". 6"9" and above is not normal at all and takes a very special athlete like a Jonathan Ogden to make that work. there was a 6'10" all-sec lineman at arkansas a few years ago and he went undrafted.
I'd rather see them try to make him a TE and back-up OL. That size in the red zone is a mis-match with 99% of any defenders. OL, DL and LB are the three positions that seem to take players the longest "to come into their own". This kid was super raw. He was part of the 2020 class, so if he red-shirted that year, and last year was "free", he could still have 4 years of eligibility left.

Last edited:
I'd rather see them try to make him a TE and back-up OL. That size in the red zone is a mis-match with 99% of any defenders. OL, DL and LB are the three positions that seem to take players the longest "to come into their own". This kid was super raw. He was part of the 2020 class, so if he red-shirted that year, and last year was "free", he could still have 4 years of eligibility left.
i'd like to see him blocking kicks.

Reactions: mattropolis
Spring practice is over and some obvious areas of concern due to Heupel and his people's failure to effectively recruit.

The LB room is terrible and we will for sure bring a portal LB. That's not even debatable.

I also have concerns about the corners. Heupel so sorry.

Fans like Jeremy were coming up with iddiotic excuses for obvious recruting failures. Years worth of Heupel specials and now here we are.

Temper your expectations accordingly. RN, looking like 8-4. Could go 9-3 or 7_5 but that's what we are looking at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endeavor.
ADVERTISEMENT