ADVERTISEMENT

***Spring Practice - Day 2***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Another unseasonably hot March day. Felt like 90 at 10 a.m., absolutely no breeze. Showed up at 9:30, thought maybe they'd get into a routine of an earlier start like they do in August sometimes. Nope, practice didn't "officially" begin until 10:08. There's always pre-practice stuff going on though.

The warm-up music today? 'Walk of Life' by the Dire Straits. I've heard this is one of GOL's favorites.

Just like Wednesday, shirts and shorts (no pads whatsoever) which means things are somewhat limited with what you can do. No real hitting, of course.

There was one big notable visitor in attendance today: Mike Rogers. He spent most of the practice hanging out with the defense on their sideline. More on him hopefully tomorrow once I get a chance to ask GOL.

The real practice observations won't begin until tomorrow (full pads) but I continue to be impressed with RB Taj McGowan. I'm anxious to see how he looks with pads.

QB Tyler Harris forgot his sunscreen during spring break - his arms are quite a noticeable red.

TE Michael Campbell definitely appears to have dropped some of his OL weight.

OL Joey Grant returned to practice today. Didn't ask, but I'm guessing he had class on Wednesday (UCF won't practice on Wednesday or Friday for the rest of spring, just Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday).

Watching the wide receiver drills, there are only four scholarship receivers and nine walk-ons. And two of the scholarship players' most recent position played was quarterback. Tre'Quan Smith continues to be sidelined with an ankle/foot issue. GOL said on Wednesday he was hopeful he'd be back this weekend. Hopefully that's true, because otherwise that's a hindrance to the receiver development this spring as Smith will surely be counted on as one of the key guys.

Among the individual play highlights: Jordan Akins bringing down a jump ball and Shaquill Griffin and Tre Neal both with pass breakups. I'd say the new secondary is ahead of the new receiver corps (frankly, there's nobody there with experience at receiver outside of Akins/Oldham) but that's probably to be expected.

One interesting element this spring: Some new individual drills. I was primarily watching the defense, but am told Key and the running backs have some new drills, including one where the football is tethered and somebody attempts to yank it out while it's being carried. The offensive line punch a large ball that's lobbed at them - the trick is to push back at the optimum time to make the best contact.

New safeties coach Andrew Thacker definitely has the voice of a coach. It's very deep with a bass-like quality. Seriously, he could football coach voiceovers for video games. Travis Fisher, I'm not sure I've "heard" him yet as he's definitely more one-on-one with his guys as opposed to a loud yeller. Mike Sims-Walker is assisting the Fisher and the corners. Remember, Sims-Walker is a former corner himself, lest we forget (2004).

It was great to meet former player and Dungeon member Doug Schoen at the practice today. He played OL in the 1990s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.