ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford just made tuition free for these students

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
Pretty cool ( even tho I can't fathom paying $45k+ per year for college ).

102556429-450672734.530x298.jpg

Last week, 2,144 teenagers got the news they'd long dreamed of: they got accepted to Stanford University.

The cherry on top is that Stanford also announced it was expanding
financial aid. The university said that no parents with an annual income
and typical assets of less than $125,000 will have to pay a single cent
toward tuition. The threshold for this aid was previously $100,000.

Stanford also said it will offer free room and
board -- in addition to free tuition -- for those making less than
$65,000, raised from the previous $60,000 threshold.
Without
financial aid, annual costs for a typical Stanford student run about
$65,000, including yearly tuition at more than $45,000.

link

Is that real, or just another April fools joke?

If not, that is pretty damn cool that they could do that.

Originally posted by UCFWayne:

They already did it. They just upped the minimum amount.

Harvard, Yale, and many other of those liberal indoctrination centers do the same thing.

Originally posted by chemmie:

Harvard, Yale, and many other of those liberal indoctrination centers do the same thing.
Stanford can do it since they have a $21B endowment and have 30 living billionaires as alumni.

Surely you must have your vagina in a twist over these billionaires. If only we taxed them MORE, we could fill the government coffers to boost the Dept of Education employment numbers!

Also, Stanford is downright conservative compared to the communists at Berkley.

Originally posted by UCFKnight85:

Stanford can do it since they have a $21B endowment and have 30 living billionaires as alumni.

Surely you must have your vagina in a twist over these billionaires. If only we taxed them MORE, we could fill the government coffers to boost the Dept of Education employment numbers!

Also, Stanford is downright conservative compared to the communists at Berkley.
It's not even that they can afford to do it. They are earning so much on their endowment that they HAVE to do it. That's why their cost of education is a farce. They raise it simply to meet their threshold for spending their endowments because they offer so much assistance to all but the top 1%'ers that very few ever pay the full cost of attendance.

The real question is what schools need with all of that money sitting in endowments in the first place. If you're going to tax individuals out of any real wealth, and argue the same for corporations, wouldn't colleges and universities fit into that as well?

Yep. Stanford has an institutional investment company (Stanford Management Company) just to manage and invest that endowment. I bet they're paying for this tuition purely from gains and dividends being paid out on investments within the SMC.

chemmie thinks they're paying tuition because it's a liberal place; the truth is that they can do it because they have millionaire and billionaire alumni filling their endowment which has a bunch of Wall Street guys running the trust.

PS- UCF's endowment is a whopping $135M.

Originally posted by FearTheKnight:
ITT: People think undergrad matters.
It does.

ec

No it doesn't!
Those people earning less just need to work harder, pick themselves up by the bootstraps and get better at life!!!

It does.

ec

No it doesn't!
Those people earning less just need to work harder, pick themselves up by the bootstraps and get better at life!!!
None of my parents/step parents have degrees and they have all done pretty well for themselves by working their asses off for the last 30 years.

I got up this morning at 9:30. Took a dump. Picked up lunch on the way to the office at 11am. I'll net about $900 today after taxes and paying off the partners. I made one phone call and drafted a four page motion. You can work your ass off if you want, but I say College is Kewl.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:08 PM by HuffyCane

Originally posted by Bob the Knight:

It does.

ec

No it doesn't!
None of my parents/step parents have degrees and they have all done pretty well for themselves by working their asses off for the last 30 years.
You live in a trailer, dude.
None of you have "done pretty well" for yourselves.

Lol, that comment just further illustrates everything that is wrong with your ideology

My parents' wealth has nothing to do with mine.

I have no need to go all Sir G on you and throw out numbers but anyone that knows my parents would call you a moron.

I have no need to go all Sir G on you and throw out numbers but anyone that knows my parents would call you a moron.
I don't know your parents and I call him a moron anyway.

It does.

ec
If you went to undergrad at Stanford vs FAU and stopped you end up at the same shitty bracket. If you get an MBA from Stanford vs FAU, you get to run a company. Undergrad doesn't matter.

It does.

ec
If you went to undergrad at Stanford vs FAU and stopped you end up at the same shitty bracket. If you get an MBA from Stanford vs FAU, you get to run a company. Undergrad doesn't matter.
You're smoking crack.

It does.

ec

No it doesn't!
lolololol. Christians can't discriminate against people but stereotypes are a-ok. But hey, where people come from = where they go. you are so ridiculously hypocritical it isn't even funny.

/signed
Daymond Garfield
and every other self made man that came from little.

Originally posted by UCFRogerz:

It does.

ec

No it doesn't!
lolololol. Christians can't discriminate against people but stereotypes are a-ok. But hey, where people come from = where they go. you are so ridiculously hypocritical it isn't even funny.

/signed
Daymond Garfield
and every other self made man that came from little.
Its very ironic isn't it. Chemmie, the most open minded, unassuming, non-judgmental person to have ever existed...just ask him.

You guys are retarded. You can't work yourself out of the lower class. You need the government to prop you up your entire life.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by MACHater02:

It does.

ec
You're smoking crack.
Name a single career path that requires a college degree and which undergrad is the terminal requirement.

Undergrad today is an extension of high school. You have to do it to be taken seriously but it doesn't matter where you do it if that's where you're stopping.

It does.

ec
You're smoking crack.
Name a single career path that requires a college degree and which undergrad is the terminal requirement.

Undergrad today is an extension of high school. You have to do it to be taken seriously but it doesn't matter where you do it if that's where you're stopping.
I work for a financial firm and in no way are degrees from FAU and Stanford equivalent. You're much more likely to get a investment banking, equity research, or private equity position with the Stanford degree. I can also tell you that whether you want to work at Google or a startup its much easier to get hired\funded with the Stanford degree.

It does.

ec
You're smoking crack.

I work for a financial firm and in no way are degrees from FAU and Stanford equivalent. You're much more likely to get a investment banking, equity research, or private equity position with the Stanford degree. I can also tell you that whether you want to work at Google or a startup its much easier to get hired\funded with the Stanford degree.
So the undergrads from Stanford rise through the ranks at your financial firm? Sounds like a world beater. I'm sure most of the execs at Google also left university after 4 years.

An undergrad eventually gives you access to lower middle management at best. To me, it doesn't matter that a few more people with prestigious undergrad degrees are in those positions than people with Dogshit U degrees.

I don't think undergrad matters zero, but it matters three of four. That falls into the "who gives a shit" category.

It does.

ec
You're smoking crack.

So the undergrads from Stanford rise through the ranks at your financial firm? Sounds like a world beater. I'm sure most of the execs at Google also left university after 4 years.

An undergrad eventually gives you access to lower middle management at best. To me, it doesn't matter that a few more people with prestigious undergrad degrees are in those positions than people with Dogshit U degrees.

I don't think undergrad matters zero, but it matters three of four. That falls into the "who gives a shit" category.
You're seriously misguided on this.

You talk about middle management as if it's a pile of shit career level, yet middle management at a corporation pays better than 60-70% of America makes in wages. I'm guessing that a middle manager with 10-15 years of experience is going to make at least $75K in salary + benefits, right?

That would put that person in the 68th percentile of household income in the US. A spouse's income would probably put them into the 80th.

I got a Master's because I realizeid that you essentially need one to move onto higher rungs of management, eventually, but an undergrad still commands way more earning power. It's not a meaningless degree.

I found undergrad to be really easy, you probably did too, but to a lot of people it's a near impossible task that they could never accomplish.

I think you got an MBA. Tell me this: You get the option of one degree each from Harvard and UCF. Which one do you get your undergrad from and which one do you get your MBA from? With the Harvard MBA, does anyone give half a shit about where you did undergrad? With the UCF MBA, does it really matter that your undergrad is from Harvard?

Getting an undergraduate degree is necessary, I don't mean to give the impression that it's not. What I'm saying is that people put a crazy amount of stock in institutional prestige which was built 100% on graduate programs. The vast majority of terminal bachelor's degrees would be much better served going to the most affordable undergrad they can and focusing their saved resources on improving whatever skill set they need for their career.

At the 10 years experience mark, I have to imagine skills trump education. You don't really learn skills in undergrad, so the guy who is way better at his job who graduated from ECU is going to get more responsibility than the shitter from Dartmouth. Unless I'm wrong and then the world is a more f*cked up place than I thought.

I think you got an MBA. Tell me this: You get the option of one degree each from Harvard and UCF. Which one do you get your undergrad from and which one do you get your MBA from? With the Harvard MBA, does anyone give half a shit about where you did undergrad? With the UCF MBA, does it really matter that your undergrad is from Harvard?

Getting an undergraduate degree is necessary, I don't mean to give the impression that it's not. What I'm saying is that people put a crazy amount of stock in institutional prestige which was built 100% on graduate programs. The vast majority of terminal bachelor's degrees would be much better served going to the most affordable undergrad they can and focusing their saved resources on improving whatever skill set they need for their career.

At the 10 years experience mark, I have to imagine skills trump education. You don't really learn skills in undergrad, so the guy who is way better at his job who graduated from ECU is going to get more responsibility than the shitter from Dartmouth. Unless I'm wrong and then the world is a more f*cked up place than I thought.
Yeah, you're wrong.

If anything you said was true people wouldn't be spending a 250k on undergrad degrees.

Honestly, I love UCF and think my MBA program was fantastic, and undergrad was very good, but it absolutely would carry more weight with a Harvard undergraduate degree behind it. Like it or not, having the name "Harvard" on your resume speaks volumes and it does not matter if its undergrad or graduate.

Obviously a Harvard MBA is pure gold.

But an undergrad from Harvard is still gold too. If you're up against 200 applicants for 1 job, I can guarantee you that having Harvard on your resume somewhere is going to at least get you into the final candidate pool.

Assuming the Harvard graduate had the other qualities an employer was looking for. I've met a lot of uber smart people over the years but being smart doesn't immediately qualify someone for a position...Harvard grad or not. It's like taking someone from academia and having them be successful in the real world. It's just not always feasible or plausible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT