ADVERTISEMENT

Starbucks CEO: Our Bathrooms are open to everyone (but....)

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Starbucks CEO said today that their bathrooms are now open to EVERYONE, even those that never purchase an item in their store (previously, policy was bathrooms were only for paying customers) but.......CEO doesn't want these "small" bathrooms to become public toilets/public restrooms.

Open to everyone, however, still have to go to the front counter for key or key code.

Open to everyone, however, still have to go to the front counter for key or key code.

Wonder who will be the Key Master?

BK+Chron.jpg

B!tch, I had Chick-fil-a today. How many times do I have to tell y’all, that sort of stuff is not something I get up in arms over?

I didn't say you'd be outraged by it, just that I doubt you'd come to the defense of CFA or a Catholic church if they called the cops on black guys for no reason like you did Starbucks.

CFA would be the poster child of every -ism there is in the mainstream media if they did the same thing. We've already seen it.

I didn't say you'd be outraged by it, just that I doubt you'd come to the defense of CFA or a Catholic church if they called the cops on black guys for no reason like you did Starbucks.

CFA would be the poster child of every -ism there is in the mainstream media if they did the same thing. We've already seen it.

I wouldn’t blame it on CFA, just like I’m not blaming this on Starbucks.

I wouldn’t blame it on CFA, just like I’m not blaming this on Starbucks.

Never said you would and you know that. I said you wouldn't defend CFA and Catholicism like you did Starbucks which is why you keep defending yourself against things I never said.

B!tch, I had Chick-fil-a today. How many times do I have to tell y’all, that sort of stuff is not something I get up in arms over?
This one made me laugh. I’ve never met you, but I can easily imagine the inflection in that sentence and it’s hilarious.

Reactions: btbones
Everyone can use the bathrooms, except black people, we'll call the cops on them.
I wish people would stop calling the cops, period ... unless an actual crime is in progress.

We need to take "See something, say something" and add "talk to someone, get to know them."

Well, some Starbuck Stores weren't too thrilled about the companies new policy allowing anyone to not only use their restroom but also hang out in their stores without purchasing an item.

One store in Chicago found used drug needles in their bathroom. Another had to keep changing the "code" on their bathroom door.

Now, some stores are already sick of non customers loitering and sleeping in their stores so now Starbucks has had to change their policy again to include no drug use and no sleeping.

PS. This hilarious video was included in one of those articles where now certain people can demand free coffee. Props to this dude!

I wish people would stop calling the cops, period ... unless an actual crime is in progress.

We need to take "See something, say something" and add "talk to someone, get to know them."
I agree with your point to a degree. We do need more civil interaction among people in our society. However, to be as simplified as you’ve stated it requires the belief that, if you just state your position clearly and civilly, people will be amenable to doing things that are in your interest. Drug users especially, but homeless as well, are not usually disposed to doing things for others that do not benefit themselves.

I agree with your point to a degree. We do need more civil interaction among people in our society. However, to be as simplified as you’ve stated it requires the belief that, if you just state your position clearly and civilly, people will be amenable to doing things that are in your interest
To me, this is all simple.

Everyone is welcome, but paying customers are first. Starbucks stupidly isn't adopting this clear policy. E.g., when a non-paying customer is not giving up their seat to a paying customer, they will bark "Rosa Parks!"

Drug users especially, but homeless as well, are not usually disposed to doing things for others that do not benefit themselves.
And yet, businesses should adopt a policy of 'everyone' with 'customers are always right' (meaning non-customers may not be). It's how I've always approached things.

E.g., I've long work in free software, and had to explain to a non-paying user that the paying users do come first, because it keeps the lights on.

Same now that I sit on a board of a non-profit representing 500,000 technologists. We serve everyone, but we have a new paid member model for a reason.

To me, this is all simple.

Everyone is welcome, but paying customers are first. Starbucks stupidly isn't adopting this clear policy. E.g., when a non-paying customer is not giving up their seat to a paying customer, they will bark "Rosa Parks!"

And yet, businesses should adopt a policy of 'everyone' with 'customers are always right' (meaning non-customers may not be). It's how I've always approached things.

E.g., I've long work in free software, and had to explain to a non-paying user that the paying users do come first, because it keeps the lights on.

Same now that I sit on a board of a non-profit representing 500,000 technologists. We serve everyone, but we have a new paid member model for a reason.
It's more complicated than that. Cafes have open seating and open windows because they are selling atmosphere. They are somewhat hoping that people strolling by will stop in and spend some money. So the group of people visible through the windows is part of the sales pitch. If you see a bunch of dirty, disheveled people in the seating area maybe with some of them looking like the last days of typhoid Mary, then you aren't even going to become a customer. And if your restaurant gets a bad reputation, paying customers will take their business elsewhere.

Bottom line, this will be a good experiment.

This may be a bit of a digression, but I'm thinking that you know as well as I do that the customer is not always right. In so many businesses, especially software, that is a recipe for failure. That's not to say that you don't strongly value the customer and you better damn well be attentive to the customer, but to blindly say that they are always right is an old theory that has proven to be harmful if fully adopted.

Reactions: Knight_Light
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT