ADVERTISEMENT

Still ranked?

UCFGrad05

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2006
Lose by a point to a middle ACC team. Do we lose 10 spots? Still ranked?

I say we should be.

No. Unfortunately, we will meet the same fate as Tulsi Gabbard. The DNC kept her out of the third Democratic debate, and Paul Finbaum is going to make sure UCF doesn’t appear in the rankings again, this season.

I think we need to expect to be dropped, and be surprised if we’re not.

This isn’t a BAD Pitt team. Middle ACC. We shouldn’t have lost. We did. We stay ranked.

Out of the top 25 especially after all the analyst gave voters grief for a poor ranking this will be a told you so moment

Looks like most new polls have us at 21. I think that's fair. We'll see where the big ones put us...

Probably 22-25 I think. We will need to win out through the conference Championship game to reach the Access bowl. With SMU, Tulane and Memphis, the West division has much better opportunity to rise up the rankings than us. To get to the NY6, we must take down the West division winner and hope for a Boise loss along the way.

#23 in coaches...a 7 spot drop.

A similar drop to what other teams that lost dropped. Michigan, Utah and Texas A&M dropped 10, 8 and 6 spots respectively.

Notre Dame is the only outlier...they dropped 3 spots.

The respect UCF has earned among coaches seems to be getting us similar treatment as "Power" 5 teams right now.

Agree #23 sounds about right, but prepare to get jumped by Memphis or SMU if they win next week. A UConn win won't help us except in conference standings., and of course the prestige of owning the ConFLict Trophy forever.

Memphis plays Navy next week. But to join the Top 25...someone ranked #18-25 likely needs to lose.

SMU plays south florida next week. That's not going to be enough for them to jump 4 spots into the Top 25. They play Tulsa the week after. Depending on what happens to teams ranked ahead of them, a win MIGHT get them close.

Memphis and SMU play each other Nov 2nd. Would be great for the AAC...and our end of season SOS...if they are both undefeated and ranked so the winner of that game is our champ game opponent if we win the east.

The dynamics have changed with the loss. I'm surprised both polls kept us in the top 25. A lot of football to play yet. All our conference games are in front of us. Here's hoping the loss keys the team in to winning the rest of the games.

Memphis plays Navy next week. But to join the Top 25...someone ranked #18-25 likely needs to lose.

SMU plays south florida next week. That's not going to be enough for them to jump 4 spots into the Top 25. They play Tulsa the week after. Depending on what happens to teams ranked ahead of them, a win MIGHT get them close.

Memphis and SMU play each other Nov 2nd. Would be great for the AAC...and our end of season SOS...if they are both undefeated and ranked so the winner of that game is our champ game opponent if we win the east.
My fear is if a voter has to choose between a one loss team, and a undefeated team, the undefeated team will win out. Now hoping no G5 goes undefeated, and UCF sneaks in with a conference championship win at the end. Unfortunately once you lose it's out of your hands except not to do it again. That could be fatal for a NY6 bowl game.

Last edited:
My fear is if a voter has to choose between a one loss team, and a undefeated team, the undefeated team will win out. Now hoping no G5 goes undefeated, and UCF sneaks in with a conference championship win at the end. Unfortunately once you lose it's out of your hands except not to do it again. That could be fatal for a NY6 bowl game.
Boise obviously gets the NY6 if they stay undefeated, but besides a still ranked 1 loss UCF, the AAC still has the winner of this weeks Memphis-Navy game plus SMU (with a win over a ranked TCU to go with 1 CUSA and 2 Sunbelt OOC wins) as undefeated teams. Memphis (beat Ol Miss) and SMU are done with OOC games, Navy still has Notre Dame and Army.

Here are the remaining undefeated G4 teams in the hunt with toughest remaining opponents and notable OOC games played:
CUSA: UAB - Tennessee, ODU, UNT, LaTech, CCG (No notable OOC yet)
MAC: None
MWC: Boise - BYU, Wyoming, Hawaii, UtahSt., CCG (Already beat FSU)
Sunbelt: App St. - South Carolina, GaSo, GaSt. CCG (Already beat UNC)

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerEye101
Boise obviously gets the NY6 if they stay undefeated, but besides a still ranked 1 loss UCF, the AAC still has the winner of this weeks Memphis-Navy game plus SMU (with a win over a ranked TCU to go with 1 CUSA and 2 Sunbelt OOC wins) as undefeated teams. Memphis (beat Ol Miss) and SMU are done with OOC games, Navy still has Notre Dame and Army.

Here are the remaining undefeated G4 teams in the hunt with toughest remaining opponents and notable OOC games played:
CUSA: UAB - Tennessee, ODU, UNT, LaTech, CCG (No notable OOC yet)
MAC: None
MWC: Boise - BYU, Wyoming, Hawaii, UtahSt., CCG (Already beat FSU)
Sunbelt: App St. - South Carolina, GaSo, GaSt. CCG (Already beat UNC)
Thanks for the run down. This could could down to conference championship games, since G5's must win their conference to play in a NY6 bowl. Right now I'm thinking UCF v Memphis again. Boise lost their conference championship last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT