ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Movies

KnighttimeJoe

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
Maybe you people can take a minute from your red and blue wars and talk about movies.

Took the kids to see Toy Story 4 and Aladdin. Both were really good and I have to say, I was surprised by the latter. I didn't think Will Smith could pull off the genie but man, he did. Toy Story 4 was hilarious. I had no clue how they were going to make another movie out of this franchise. Key and Peele are hilarious in it and Keanu Reeves as Duke Caboom was one of the coolest new characters Disney has ever created.

Looking forward to Lion King and especially Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Really enjoyed Spiderman...(a lot more enjoyable than Avengers End Game). Splurged for the extra $1 cost and saw it in the special RPX Theater at Regal Winter Park Village...WELL worth the extra $1...rumbling recliners is a hoot...plus upgraded picture quality and super top notch sound system makes watching an adventure movie like this in these special theaters a must. (Think Winter Park Regal has only 1 or 2 RPX Theaters in their complex).
https://www.regmovies.com/rpx#/

Toy Story 4 was pretty good...saw it with my niece...liked it much more than 2...(didn't even bother with 3).

Going to see Lion King for my sis's B Day later this month.

Really enjoyed Spiderman...(a lot more enjoyable than Avengers End Game). Splurged for the extra $1 cost and saw it in the special RPX Theater at Regal Winter Park Village...WELL worth the extra $1...rumbling recliners is a hoot...plus upgraded picture quality and super top notch sound system makes watching an adventure movie like this in these special theaters a must. (Think Winter Park Regal has only 1 or 2 RPX Theaters in their complex).
https://www.regmovies.com/rpx#/

Toy Story 4 was pretty good...saw it with my niece...liked it much more than 2...(didn't even bother with 3).

Going to see Lion King for my sis's B Day later this month.

Toy Story 3 might be the best in the franchise. It WAS the perfect ending to it all and a real tear jerker.

I've seen several at WPV in the RPX theater. Dunkirk was an awesome feature to see/feel/hear in that venue.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
my wife took the kids to see aladin when it came out. they seemed to like. my wife said it was just ok.

i really havent watched any new movies over the summer. i did watch stranger things season 3 though. that was amazing.

I'm looking for a movie for tonight. No kids, so I want to hold off on the Disney flicks. Considering Midsommar? Thoughts or suggestions?

so i take that back, i did see john wick 3 when it came out. if you liked either of the first 2 you will like 3. i still think 2 is the best, but 3 was solid and there will clearly be a 4th.

looking at the movies out right now or coming out soon, there are only 2 i want to see; spiderman and lion king. i will probably take the kids to see lion king when it comes out. i will likely stream spiderman soon.

Don't do theaters and wait for movies On Demand. Waiting bigly for John Wick 3 with high anticipation.

Knives Out looks like it's going to be good in November. Maybe it will salvage Rian Johnson's career. Judy also looks good in a depressing kind of way.

Still deciding whether or not to see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in December considering the TLJ debacle.

you will not be disappointed. although i think you are missing out not seeing it in theatres. the sound was awesome

Nah, I decided long ago that theaters weren't for me and haven't been in probably 15 years. Not having to deal with idiots and having access to my own beverage of choice and ability to pause for piss breaks is enough reason for me.

So be it. For a $4.99 rental fee, waiting just a few months after theater release, and convenience of my own living room, I'll take it.
dont get me wrong, i will normally wait for decent stream online to watch at home, but there are a couple movies a year that are worth seeing in the theaters

Reactions: Knight_Light
In general, I won't go see a dialogue-driven movie at a theater, unless it's someone like Quentin or Scorsese. Then, idgaf and I am paying whatever to see it. I do enjoy the IMAX experience at Pointe Orlando and I've seen several in that format, like The Dark Knight Rises, Star Wars, or whatever superhero flick is out there. The interactive RPX is pretty neat, as I said above, for movies like Dunkirk.

And I never thought I would enjoy it but it is actually fun to take my kids to the movies and see the Disney stuff--if nothing for the sake of nostalgia and also experiencing them having fun, minus the piss breaks, lol.

Once About a Time in Hollywood and Lion King come out this month. Both look good. Took the kids to Aladdin and was great. When baseball ends next week, will do Toy 4 and Lion King...me and mama will catch Quentin's Hollywood...I LOVE the movies. Maybe just old school....

Once About a Time in Hollywood and Lion King come out this month. Both look good. Took the kids to Aladdin and was great. When baseball ends next week, will do Toy 4 and Lion King...me and mama will catch Quentin's Hollywood...I LOVE the movies. Maybe just old school....
nah you are normal. the movie theater experience can grow tiring as you get older, but still worth it for certain movies.

85 is just acting like a 50 year old man :p

Considering bigly breaking my no theater rule (been a LONG time since I been to one) for a family theater movie event for Toy Story 4 since my daughter rightly enjoys the Toy Story movies.

W @KnighttimeJoe bigly on Toy Story 3 incredibly good. I like Will Smith (who doesn’t?) but I haven’t brought myself to watch Robin Williams genie turn in to below tho (“say what what ha ha”)

Stopped going to the theater for a long time until these last cpl of years. I finally started going solo during the middle of the afternoon on slow days after a movie has been out a cpl weeks and it's incredible. I screwed up and saw Endgame opening weekend but really didn't have a choice with how spoilers were popping up. Movie aside, it was freaking torture dealing with so many idiots. Never again.

Looking for to Lion King more than anything. Other than that I've only seen JW3 which was great and Spiderman.

Last edited:
Stopped going to the theater for a long time until these last cpl of years. I finally started going solo during the middle of the afternoon on slow days after a movie has been out a cpl weeks and it's incredible. I screwed up and saw Endgame opening weekend but really didn't have a choice with how spoilers were popping up. Movie aside, it freaking torture dealing with some many idiots. Never again.

Looking for to Lion King more than anything. Other than that I've only seen JW3 which was great and Spiderman.

Just curious, what did you think of Endgame? I was never into any of the avenger movies but my daughter wanted to go see that one, so I downloaded infinity war. Which led to 9 other marvel movies. So I was kind of going backwards through it all but in retrospect endgame was kind of disappointing.

I've seen all the Marvel movies but I'm a pretty casual fan....never got in to the comics or anything. I thought it was solid. Boring answer I know but it was an incredibly high bar to clear and generally I think they did a pretty good job bringing it all together. First half was obviously slow but I think it had its moments by the end. I prob need to see it again but pretty sure I walked out feeling just OK.

I've seen all the Marvel movies but I'm a pretty casual fan....never got in to the comics or anything. I thought it was solid. Boring answer I know but it was an incredibly high bar to clear and generally I think they did a pretty good job bringing it all together. First half was obviously slow but I think it had its moments by the end. I prob need to see it again but pretty sure I walked out feeling just OK.
Completely on the same page. The last 30 minutes were really good but it was just painful getting to that point. I really do have to give the producers credit for making it all come together like it did, crafting a storyline that involved so many characters in so many ways over such a long time. I watched guardians of the Galaxy a few years ago and just thought it was kind of a fun movie, but then to see how that blended in to the overarching storyline is really pretty cool.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
Completely on the same page. The last 30 minutes were really good but it was just painful getting to that point. I really do have to give the producers credit for making it all come together like it did, crafting a storyline that involved so many characters in so many ways over such a long time. I watched guardians of the Galaxy a few years ago and just thought it was kind of a fun movie, but then to see how that blended in to the overarching storyline is really pretty cool.

I waited a while to see Guardian's mostly bc I thought it looked ridiculous and hated the idea of what I imagined to be a movie totally in space. I think they nailed it and those characters turned out to be some of my favorite.

I waited a while to see Guardian's mostly bc I thought it looked ridiculous and hated the idea of what I imagined to be a movie totally in space. I think they nailed it and those characters turned out to be some of my favorite.
Based on the trailer, I was convinced QOTG was going to be Marvel Studio’s first big flop. After seeing it (and #2), it’s arguably the studio’s best franchise with the MCU’s most fun characters.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
Based on the trailer, I was convinced QOTG was going to be Marvel Studio’s first big flop. After seeing it (and #2), it’s arguably the studio’s best franchise with the MCU’s most fun characters.
Agreed. Partly because they provide some comic relief and partly because of the soundtrack, both are just fun movies to watch. The producers and writers did a great job of giving the backstory for Quill as well. In general the whole franchise is just pretty awesome, particularly starting with the first Iron Man movie.

Just saw some local theaters will be showing the 30th Anniversary of "Glory" next Sunday and the following Wednesday.

Great...great...great film...(still think its one of Denzel's best...even though he wasn't the lead actor). He did win an Academy Award for that role plus the film won 4 other Oscars.

glory-d57fadf17ec13f58e4cd3ba153db62e8.jpg

See link for specific theater showing info: (I just watched it last week for like the 8th or 9th time...as I usually watch it every 2-3 years. If I known it was going to be on the BIG screen...I wouldn't have watched it at home last week)
https://www.fathomevents.com/events...duqZpHABYh0XuyQLhAQnN97dnyHGCGpEaAv8KEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFBS
Lion King opens on Thursday...many screens are at or near sold out for shows this weekend (even those most complexes will have this movie on 5-10 screens).

Also, Toy Story 4's Box Office in just 4 weeks ($346 Million) has already blown by Alladin, who in 8 weeks brought in $331 Million.

Spiderman, in less than 2 weeks, has brought in $274 Million.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lion_king_2019

Critics Consensus
While it can take pride in its visual achievements,The Lion King is a by-the-numbers retelling that lacks the energy and heart that made the original so beloved--though for some fans that may just be enough.

i had really high hopes for lion king. the trailers/images all looked really good. its very odd that the score is so low right now. then again, i dont trust rotten tomatoes anymore.

BTW Midsommar was weird AF, terrifying, hilarious, and overall a fantastic mind fck of a movie. Probably don't need to see it in theaters.

Toy Story 4 was hilarious.
I've heard about politically correct overtures and rampant consumerism attitudes. Anyone care to detail in an objective way? I haven't been able to cut through the left-right rhetortic well.

That said ... I've long been disenfranchised with Hollywood, only made worse by the Marvel arcs and sequel-centric realities that are about economies-of-scale with maximum volume. So ...

I'm always interested in independent films, both domestic and foreign. I prefer subtitles in the case of the latter, and hate dubbed. This can even be films already on Netflix or Prime, or available via Amazon or Vudu (for cost) as well.

I've been watching a number of such films as of late from not just Europe, including the growing Czech-Hungarian-Romanian-Polish works, but Australia, Japan, Korea and even Russia.

comic con is going on right now in san diego. lots of new trailers and stuff dropping.

personally i cant wait to find out more on the new expanse season this sunday.

I've heard about politically correct overtures and rampant consumerism attitudes. Anyone care to detail in an objective way? I haven't been able to cut through the left-right rhetortic well.

That said ... I've long been disenfranchised with Hollywood, only made worse by the Marvel arcs and sequel-centric realities that are about economies-of-scale with maximum volume. So ...

I'm always interested in independent films, both domestic and foreign. I prefer subtitles in the case of the latter, and hate dubbed. This can even be films already on Netflix or Prime, or available via Amazon or Vudu (for cost) as well.

I've been watching a number of such films as of late from not just Europe, including the growing Czech-Hungarian-Romanian-Polish works, but Australia, Japan, Korea and even Russia.

It was hilarious. Full stop.

Key and Peele as the plush characters 100% made the movie. I was cry laughing at their “plans.”

Absolutely! Funny AF...

People who concern themselves with "politically correct overtures and rampant consumerism attitudes" in a GOT DAMN CARTOON need to be thrown out of a helicopter kicking and screaming.

I just saw the new trailer for IT2 and damn it looks good.

equally unnerving someone decided to make a cats the musical movie. ugh, it just looks terrible.

reading up some details on the new netflix tv show based on the witcher video game looks promising.

...equally unnerving someone decided to make a cats the musical movie. ugh, it just looks terrible.
No fooling. The musical was good but a feature-length movie? Yikes!

It's a sure-fire bomb this coming Holiday season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT