ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court, in 5-4 ruling, strikes down restrictive Louisiana abortion law

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Louisiana's tough restriction on abortion violates the Constitution, a surprising victory for abortion rights advocates from an increasingly conservative court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...n-restrictive-louisiana-abortion-law-n1231392
I don’t have a strong feeling on this issue in either direction, but I do find it interesting that the SCOTUS rulings that have been coming out lately have been favoring the progressive side yet every single article asserts that the SCOTUS is “increasingly conservative.”

Reactions: Crazyhole
I don’t have a strong feeling on this issue in either direction, but I do find it interesting that the SCOTUS rulings that have been coming out lately have been favoring the progressive side yet every single article asserts that the SCOTUS is “increasingly conservative.”

i thought the same. Although, I imagine that narrative will remain until Biden becomes president.

Favoring the progressive side? The majority of the judges were appointed by “your side” so how does that work?

God forbid the SCOTUS makes rulings based on the merits of the case before them.

"The progressive side"

What you mean to say is: "the right side."
Even Conservative judges realize that our right-wing has been pissing all over our rights.

Favoring the progressive side? The majority of the judges were appointed by “your side” so how does that work?

God forbid the SCOTUS makes rulings based on the merits of the case before them.

Jesus Christ, that is literally the point he was making.

Jesus Christ, that is literally the point he was making.
Funny, I could have sworn he said that recent decisions have been favoring "the progressive side" while the SCOTUS itself has been characterized as "increasingly conservative."

"The progressive side"

What you mean to say is: "the right side."
Even Conservative judges realize that our right-wing has been pissing all over our rights.

FWIW, five of the nine judges agreed the Louisiana law was constitutional but Roberts felt compelled to side in judgment with the minority (turning it into the majority) based on stare decisis. (A 2016 case involving a nearly identical Texas law was struck down 5-3 and in that case Roberts was in the minority arguing that the law was constitutional.) He only switched sides in this case, joining the four-justice "liberal-bloc" in judgment, but not the opinion. That is a crucial distinction. Roberts does not believe all state-based restrictions on abortion are unconstitutional, it's just that the admitting-privileges theory cannot stand based on prior court precedent.

If your conclusion is that conservative justices realized that "[the] right-wing has been p------ all over our rights" then I would respectfully recommend you read one or two more articles summarizing the opinion (or read the opinion itself). And, as with most complex legal and political issues, it's usually unhelpful to reduce the issue to a pithy, partisan talking-point. Yes, I realize everyone does this on all sides of an issue but that doesn't mean we can't try to avoid doing it ourselves.

Last edited:
FWIW, five of the nine judges agreed the Louisiana law was constitutional but Roberts felt compelled to side in judgment with the minority (turning it into the majority) based on stare decisis.
Based on your analysis, it would appear that the SCOTUS made their ruling based on the merits of the case before them.

I wish I would have said that earlier. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT