ADVERTISEMENT

Taj McGowan’s run

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
4th and 1 from the 29. UCF catches Memphis not completely set. Everyone in tight on the line.

Taj runs off the right side of the line and breaks an arm tackle from the outside defender. Runs just inside him

Colubiale makes a nice block, but the KEY block was by Trysten Hill. He flattens the defender and Taj outruns the DB

That’s coaching and execution. Not chance and getting bailed out.

Who thought to put Hill in to block?? Who taught him blocking techniques?

The coaches. UCF CAN run it down a defense’s throat with Taj and McRae when we need to.

That call took balls. Take the bull by the horns and play to win.

4th and 1 from the 29. UCF catches Memphis not completely set. Everyone in tight on the line.

Taj runs off the right side of the line and breaks an arm tackle from the outside defender. Runs just inside him

Colubiale makes a nice block, but the KEY block was by Trysten Hill. He flattens the defender and Taj outruns the DB

The coaches. UCF CAN run it down a defense’s throat with Taj and McRae when we need to.

We ran it last week with the ball going to the FB. Hill is an athletic guy who probably played a skilled position when he was younger.

Reactions: JAFFX2

#BigBrassBalls #BullByTheHorns #THKeyBlock #UCFCanRun

Reactions: Mikesi

When I say Heup got bailed out I’m not referring to bc this worked out. Both 4th down calls were the absolutely right decision and both takes guts to call regardless if it’s the right decision.

However, there are a crap ton of other plays in the game that matter as well.

Also, I’m sure Trysten Hill played a decent amount of offense in HS and blocked a lot so let’s not pretend like he never played an offensive snap in his life. Yes, it was a great block and perfect execution can’t overlook that, but it also wasn’t scheme blocking that was coaching. As a FB you’re running through the whole and hitting the second level guy (which he did)

And Frost used this last season and it’s been used hundreds of times by teams before. This was not ground breaking personnel and formation usage haha.

Sorry been at work watching league of legends (most boring thing ever) since 5:30 am so I need some entertainment so mine as we’ll stir the pot)

Now raise your hand if you thought Taj was this fast......hmmm, no hands in the air, just what I thought...LOL.

He was so fast, I guess he out ran one of his socks...

And Hill's block needs to go up there with the Stanback truck of the Rutgers guy, total destruction.

When I say Heup got bailed out I’m not referring to bc this worked out. Both 4th down calls were the absolutely right decision and both takes guts to call regardless if it’s the right decision.

However, there are a crap ton of other plays in the game that matter as well.

Also, I’m sure Trysten Hill played a decent amount of offense in HS and blocked a lot so let’s not pretend like he never played an offensive snap in his life. Yes, it was a great block and perfect execution can’t overlook that, but it also wasn’t scheme blocking that was coaching. As a FB you’re running through the whole and hitting the second level guy (which he did)

And Frost used this last season and it’s been used hundreds of times by teams before. This was not ground breaking personnel and formation usage haha.

Sorry been at work watching league of legends (most boring thing ever) since 5:30 am so I need some entertainment so mine as we’ll stir the pot)
Going for it at the 29 is nearly groundbreaking and very gutsy. The game wasn’t that close to being over. Additionally, he caught them off guard in many ways. Memphis barely was set

We are still waiting for some specifics of how he was “bailed out”. Whatever that means. Just saying

Going for it at the 29 is nearly groundbreaking and very gutsy. The game wasn’t that close to being over. Additionally, he caught them off guard in many ways. Memphis barely was set

We are still waiting for some specifics of how he was “bailed out”. Whatever that means. Just saying
You’ll have to wait till Tuesday

Just curious what the responses would have been if we Taj didn't make the first down. Sure looks good in the rear view mirror though.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Just curious what the responses would have been if we Taj didn't make the first down. Sure looks good in the rear view mirror though.
Kind of my point.
I was on board with the call no matter what, I also look at the game from more of an analytics perspective and numbers would tell you going for it is the right thing.
Also I don’t think a single person would have guessed UCF would shut out Memphis all half and with already 2 (I believe) stops in quarter and the offense doing nothing after, they needed to do something to try and flip the momentum.

I guess “bailed out” might not be the exact right words, but UCF put together two sustained offensive drives in what I think was Milton’s best game of season, let’s nit sit here and pretend like the offense played good.

Again when I chart the game I may come to a different conclusion this is just my initial reaction.

Also, UCF won, in the end I think that’s all everyone here cares about

I usually agree with your reviews MM but the efficiency and analytics is a little harder to execute once it started raining at a Noah’s Ark level. 1st Half is fair game
Ya I agree and I will mention that in my writing, but I think the first half might’ve been worse actually

I usually agree with your reviews MM but the efficiency and analytics is a little harder to execute once it started raining at a Noah’s Ark level. 1st Half is fair game

Agree, having a technical background I am totally onboard with the analytics and I think that Money_Milton does an awesome job with it. That said they are by no means absolute.....not sure about the validity and track record but just look at what this forecast about the outcome of the NGEbraska game late in the 4th predicted. Sometimes your knowledge, gut feeling and good old fashion grit will prevail despite the analytics...........

GuhZBl.png

Guess what Frosty had to say when he was questioned on this topic in his presser???

I guess he saw all along who the guy was that he was supposed to flatten :joy:

Agree, having a technical background I am totally onboard with the analytics and I think that Money_Milton does an awesome job with it. That said they are by no means absolute.....not sure about the validity and track record but just look at what this forecast about the outcome of the NGEbraska game late in the 4th. Sometimes your knowledge, gut feeling and good old fashion grit will prevail despite the analytics...........

GuhZBl.png

Guess what Frosty had to say when he was questioned on this topic in his presser???
:joy::joy::joy: Classic!!
Sure glad that I don’t have stock in that sh_t show!!

Agree, having a technical background I am totally onboard with the analytics and I think that Money_Milton does an awesome job with it. That said they are by no means absolute.....not sure about the validity and track record but just look at what this forecast about the outcome of the NGEbraska game late in the 4th predicted. Sometimes your knowledge, gut feeling and good old fashion grit will prevail despite the analytics...........

GuhZBl.png

GuhZBl.png

agreed. Teams that go majority analytics never succeed. It’s about using them right and finding the right combination of coaching with gut/feeling vs what works based on the numbers.

Going for it on 4th there was probably data science analytically the right move, but it’s also coaching with gut/feeling/ confidence. However, I think we are seeing Heupel coach with feeling on a lot of his first and second down play calls and personnel usage (and I don’t think anyone here can disagree with that, everyone has said Taj/McRae/Otis (not yesterday) should be running more than AK and I think that’s Heupel coaching with feeling and gut over somewhere as the numbers would show isn’t the best thing for the offense (I’ve used plenty of data to back this up)

Probably got a little to aggreisove at Mikesi (I would tag but idk how to do that) before but if I remember correctly he has supported the stuff I’ve done (which I greatly appreciate all of you, I never thought I’d get the page views/support I’ve gotten) but this is kind of what I’m referring at.

It showed against Memphis because they are a good football team and execution actually mattered and every play mattered in this game.

On the win prob thing, it’s analytics for sure, but not really football related analytics if you get what I mean. I actually think Frost lost that game because he coached scared, not like he did at UCF based on his play calls from last season in the same spot.

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Mikesi

GuhZBl.png

LOL, looks like my stock portfolio this week....

Reactions: JAFFX2
Also I don’t think a single person would have guessed UCF would shut out Memphis all half and with already 2 (I believe) stops in quarter and the offense doing nothing after, they needed to do something to try and flip the momentum.

Didnt expect the defense hold them off for three straight drives much less a shut out, but i think that opportunity is blown if we dont convert on that drive.

Reactions: Money_Milton

Trysten Hill, the human bowling ball.

It can be argued that Taj is a Heupel guy. He's not a starter, but his role on this team has improved. He was a freshman with GOL, saw little playing time with Frost, but is the go to guy for different situations under Heup.

Its hard to ignore the off season improvements for himself too.

Response would have been looking at a loss either way. Punt the ball there and we lose no doubt.

That Hill hit reminds me of high school highlight tapes when a d-1 athlete blows up a 160 pounder defender.

ADVERTISEMENT