ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Swift again demonstrates the absurdity of our legal system

UCFKnight85

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 6, 2003
Taylor Swift has trademarked the phrase "This sick beat" meaning you must now seek her permission to use this phrase. If you use it against her consent, you're legally on the hook for violating her trademark.

A phrase that has been around and used since the first ever hip hop album was created by millions of people.

Yes, it's a fine legal system we have here in the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/29/living/feat-taylor-swift-trademarks/index.html

What's absurd is Sam Smith having to give writing credit and royalties for "Stay With Me" to Tom Petty because Petty thought it sounded too much like "I Won't Back Down."

So what gives someone the right to trademark a saying? Can I trademark "f#ck you!" Then collect royalties from everyone that I antagonize enough to say it?

It does sound similar. Check this out: Link

And, Smith and his writing partners agreed that it sounded similar and reportedly everything got settled amicably. No telling yet whether royalties will have to be paid, but Petty and his co-writer get a writing credit.

Just in case another sitcom comes around that wants to reference a pop culture quote or saying.

Attempting the trademark and enforcing it for damages are two different things. Pat Riley's Threepeat was one of the first of these types of trademarks and one of the few successful ones -- mostly because he could show he invested in the phrase prior to its use by others. She'll have trouble showing that with This Sick Beat. Its mostly smoke to prevent people from using her image or likeness AND the phrase.

Paris Hilton tried the same thing a few years ago with "That's Hot." She registered it and when a DJ or some other idiot used the same saying she sued. The court slapped her in a manner commiserate with the ho she is.

ADVERTISEMENT