ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher shoots a student

I can't imagine CA doesn't have a similar law to Florida where you aren't allowed to have your weapon out in public. The teacher was irresponsible and broke the law.

Reactions: UCFBS
Hey look! He was handling the weapon appropriately by pointing it at the ceiling and away from people. This is why you do that. Shit happens.

Hey look! He was handling the weapon appropriately by pointing it at the ceiling and away from people. This is why you do that. Shit happens.

I don't think I'd ever describe a scenario where a teacher negligently discharged a firearm in a classroom full of children with a bullet fragment lodging in a child's neck as "appropriate".

I don't think I'd ever describe a scenario where a teacher negligently discharged a firearm in a classroom full of children with a bullet fragment lodging in a child's neck as "appropriate".
Yeah shooting the ceiling at school is definitely not doing anything the right way . Magazine should gave been removed and action opened and verified empty chamber before ever being handled in the class room . Zero excuse for that happening

Any competent owner knows if they are going to disarm, they need to disarm before they get in a crowd of people ... let alone kids. You do not want to disarm in the middle of them!

This guy was playing "show'n tell." And it did not shock me it was California. It's like the state is full of wannabe actors and actresses. And they make competent owners look like fools.

That said ... the accident rate with firearms is still exceedingly low compared to just about everything else, many by over an order of magnitude. That's because guns are treated as dangerous objects.

Unlike so many other things that kill far, far more kids.

Yeah shooting the ceiling at school is definitely not doing anything the right way . Magazine should gave been removed and action opened and verified empty chamber before ever being handled in the class room . Zero excuse for that happening

All you ****ers know what I'm saying. Shut up.

You dumbass rednecks never cease to amaze.
Go eat a donkey dick.

Any competent owner knows if they are going to disarm, they need to disarm before they get in a crowd of people ... let alone kids. You do not want to disarm in the middle of them!

The problem is, you don't have to be competent to own...

The problem is, you don't have to be competent to own...
Correct. But when the US media says this part-time officer is a 'typical law abiding citizen,' I take great offense to that. That is very much my point! He was not competent!

The 'show'n tell' aspect of guns at schools is the problem! There is a well-watched video of a DEA agent talking about being "the only one professional enough" that is a common, highlight reel used in NRA and USCCA training. Meaning ...

Never, ever act familiar around firearms, never, ever assume anything is not loaded, and never, ever even walk into a room of people with something loaded if you plan on pulling it out.

The only time you should pull out a loaded gun is when you don't plan, and then you only do so to aim and shoot it. Otherwise, keep it holstered, unloaded if at all possible, and disarm it.

That said, I've long been for two (2) things.
  1. Teachers can not carry a loaded weapon on school grounds, or ...
  2. Teachers only have access to a number of weapons lockers around school grounds
The sheer number of few school shootings don't justify loaded weapons on schools with the probable, resulting accident rate. They should never be loaded and/or only located in lockers.

It's not ideal, but if we're talking about ending a mass shooting in 90 seconds, the 5 seconds to load a weapon (#1) or 30 seconds to retrieve one (#2), is enough. I'm more in favor or #1. I'm all for making a loaded weapon on school grounds a felony, unless justified to stop an active shooter (or the report of one).

In fact, it's not that there's a loaded weapon, but the fact that weapons exist at all. Because that's what we're aiming for ... deterrence. The fact that guns are on campus is the deterrence, and the shooter will go elsewhere.

There are rare exceptions to this, like the 1st Ft. Hood shooting. The 2nd Ft. Hood shooting was when the US Army stupidly restricted carry on grounds, and they quickly reversed that. Of course, it's the Army ... and not the USMC. I.e., Marines are loaded at every gate. The Army? Not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT