ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference?! Realignment thread

Also F Texas and Oklahoma. Figures when a decent proposal for a playoff is put forth these supposed blue bloods decide to screw it all up in all likelihood. It is tiring and un-American to have this class system. What is needed is equal opportunity at the playoff. If one conference makes more money than another due to their fans so be it. But this elitist crap from the teams lucky enough to start football 100 years ago is a put off
Couldn’t agree more. It’s like they did this solely b/c the playoff expansion. They can’t have any “new money” invited to the party, it’s like they are so narcissistic they pull this just to secure it all. This could be the beginning of the end, depending on how the dominoes fall, for me at least.

I’ll still go to the games and watch us on TV, but I’m done with the whole college football “national championship” semi-pro league. I don’t watch the CFP now and not gonna watch the new super league.

This is like “The Handmade's Tale” for college football. How the hell could something like this possibly be executed and actually happen?! Never would have thought the SEC would have the power and be able to take over the NCAA but here we are. A hostile takeover…let’s hope UCF doesn’t become a Handmade.

I don’t think I’d pay $300 a month in cable and a home game or 2 a year for FCS caliber.
Yea I agree I'm not paying that much to watch college football. I'll just start watching what is available for little or no costs. They are still making the money off of advertising. Not to change the subject, But Major league Baseball has lost a generation of fans with their ridiculous blackout rules. :cool:

Reactions: lawknight
Yea I agree I'm not paying that much to watch college football. I'll just start watching what is available for little or no costs. They are still making the money off of advertising. Not to change the subject, But Major league Baseball has lost a generation of fans with their ridiculous blackout rules. :cool:
I never understood the MLB blackout rules. You would think they would want everyone to be able to watch local teams. The more they watched the more likely they would be to go to a game. Especially a kid begging their parents. I grew up in Boston as a kid and all the games were on one way or another.

Reactions: knight_tracker
It makes the most sense at this point. Had they grabbed Clemson/FSU first I would say its just going to be a super conference. But grabbing Texas and Oklahoma is a whole different animal.

Likely with ESPN driving this, I think we could see a tiered system. 20-30 elite programs battling for national championship, mid tier of like 30-40 programs, and then the rest. Like in Europe programs can move up and down tiers based on performance. For long term that's the best model. It provides excitement on multiple levels.
This would crumble the financials of college football. Wouldn’t work.
Also F Texas and Oklahoma. Figures when a decent proposal for a playoff is put forth these supposed blue bloods decide to screw it all up in all likelihood. It is tiring and un-American to have this class system. What is needed is equal opportunity at the playoff. If one conference makes more money than another due to their fans so be it. But this elitist crap from the teams lucky enough to start football 100 years ago is a put off
#BOYCOTTTHESEC

haven’t heard much about UCF other than our own media talking to themselves how great we are

We’re being talked about a lot on media circles, but not shamelessly plugging ourselves like a desperate Cincy.

I’m ok with it right now. Do we want to be publicly begging a conference for admission that may be completely broken within a year? They may not even bring in more money than the AAC. ESPN controls CFB right now. Marc Daniels made the case on his show today that ESPN is pulling the strings and wrecked the Big 12. Best to stay quiet, work the phones, and hope to get something out if this when it’s all said and done.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Seeing USF fans saying academics and sports other than FB matter in realignment. Really laughable. None of that brings the viewers/subscribers that FB does. You could fill a conference with all the best BB schools but their viewership would still pale in comparison to a decent FB conference. And with a bigger CFB playoff on the horizon the money will grow even more.

Seeing USF fans saying academics and sports other than FB matter in realignment. Really laughable. None of that brings the viewers/subscribers that FB does. You could fill a conference with all the best BB schools but their viewership would still pale in comparison to a decent FB conference. And with a bigger CFB playoff on the horizon the money will grow even more.
They really are a funny bunch over there in the Bullspen. They think WV is putting in a good word for them, like they are helping and want them to be in because of their Big East days. Really laughable. I even saw a post about them being ranked #2 before (hahahaha). They through around that preeminent status all over the place too. They really are grasping at straws, saying we are a package deal, lol. Their knightmare is UCF moving on without them and god do I hope it happens.

They really are a funny bunch over there in the Bullspen. They think WV is putting in a good word for them, like they are helping and want them to be in because of their Big East days. Really laughable. I even saw a post about them being ranked #2 before (hahahaha). They through around that preeminent status all over the place too. They really are grasping at straws, saying we are a package deal, lol. Their knightmare is UCF moving on without them and god do I hope it happens.
Lmao. The last news I heard about their preeminent status was because they met the standards that FL set forth but the state decided not to give them the money that was supposed to come with it.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
Now heres a curveball… did sec/espn collude illegally?
giphy.gif

Reactions: UCFatz1
even though this move potentially could help UCF it is awful for the Sport the power that ESPN has . our fate is literally decided if we are on their good side or not
yea its kind of literally the opposite of what everyone said college football was all these years. not only ESPN, you are at the mercy of Blue Bloods making decisions on a whim, like right now with OU-Texas

This is their backwards way of thinking that standing pat is the answer. They should be on the extreme offensive here and add BYU, Boise, UCF, Cincy, Memphis and Houston IMMEDIATELY to bring it to 16 teams until 2025. You wait four years and you’re dead, while 4 years of those aforementioned programs recruiting at the “P5” level could have them elevated by then to be that much stronger. Work with ESPN to strengthen your next TV deal.

Besides, fighting with ESPN/ABC is not in your best interests when it’s VERY clear they hold so much power. This is one network that will not be competing for your next TV deal, thus lowering your next deal for lack of competition.

This is their backwards way of thinking that standing pat is the answer. They should be on the extreme offensive here and add BYU, Boise, UCF, Cincy, Memphis and Houston IMMEDIATELY to bring it to 16 teams until 2025. You wait four years and you’re dead, while 4 years of those aforementioned programs recruiting at the “P5” level could have them elevated by then to be that much stronger. Work with ESPN to strengthen your next TV deal.

Besides, fighting with ESPN/ABC is not in your best interests when it’s VERY clear they hold so much power. This is one network that will not be competing for your next TV deal, thus lowering your next deal for lack of competition.

Right.... but you're forgetting something.... Big 12 games are on Fox.

The AAC is an ESPN conference. Seems as though ESPN wanted Big 12 teams to go to the AAC, not the other way around.

Right.... but you're forgetting something.... Big 12 games are on Fox.

The AAC is an ESPN conference. Seems as though ESPN wanted Big 12 teams to go to the AAC, not the other way around.
I understand, I’m not talking about their current deal, talking about their next deal that is up in the next couple years. They just lost a ton of leverage.

They have to make sure the 8 remaining teams stay together before they start going after new teams. Also, new teams (UCF and company) aren't going to agree to join the Big 12 without assurances that there won't be a mass exodus.

ESPN is killing College Football with their greed, we're watching it happen.

Reactions: UCFatz1 and GILL T
Someone toss a life preserver to Mr. Clean's stupider cousin (aka Paul Feinbaum). He's having the wet dream to end all wet dreams.

They have to make sure the 8 remaining teams stay together before they start going after new teams. Also, new teams (UCF and company) aren't going to agree to join the Big 12 without assurances that there won't be a mass exodus.

ESPN is killing College Football with their greed, we're watching it happen.
What better way to secure or calm the nerves of the other 8 then to proactively bring in the 6 best “G5” that are all basically “P5” in every aspect (facilities, brand/top 25 and recruiting chops). This also secures leverage instead of coming out being a whiny little bitch toward ESPN who could theoretically be a suitor for your next big tv contract. Or at least be “in play” as a suitor (or not a definite non-suitor as they are now) in the minds of other suitors. Plus it shows strength, poaching teams instead of weakness like now.

And let’s not kid ourselves or the other candidates…we the fans and the schools/players would LOVE to join the Big12 in the current 8 or potential 6 even.

What better way to secure or calm the nerves of the other 8 then to proactively bring in the 6 best “G5” that are all basically “P5” in every aspect (facilities, brand/top 25 and recruiting chops). This also secures leverage instead of coming out being a whiny little bitch toward ESPN who could theoretically be a suitor for your next big tv contract. Or at least be “in play” as a suitor (or not a definite non-suitor as they are now) in the minds of other suitors. Plus it shows strength, poaching teams instead of weakness like now.

And let’s not kid ourselves or the other candidates…we the fans and the schools/players would LOVE to join the Big12 in the current 8 or potential 6 even.
Bringing in UCF, Cincy, etc. right now will have 0 impact on Iowa State and Kansas' desire to go to the Big 10, or West Virginia's desire to go to the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT