ADVERTISEMENT

The Caucasian's Guide To Black Barbecues

I know that black people don't like pumpkin pie, but everytime I broach the subject with black coworkers their preference is sweet potato pie not poundcake. What kind of super secret is the eating of pound cake over pumpkin or even sweet potato pie? This is seriously distorting my worldview.

I'm not joking when I say I've had this conversation at least 10 times and my research includes around 30 people. They were almost all from the south so I'm wondering if this dude is from some other region.

I know that black people don't like pumpkin pie, but everytime I broach the subject with black coworkers their preference is sweet potato pie not poundcake. What kind of super secret is the eating of pound cake over pumpkin or even sweet potato pie? This is seriously distorting my worldview.

I'm not joking when I say I've had this conversation at least 10 times and my research includes around 30 people. They were almost all from the south so I'm wondering if this dude is from some other region.
51188dd42821ae1ca61ce7a41bfba486.jpg

Sweet potato pie is just better.

Could've just asked Sir G*

5 was my favorite: "ignore your white-people-timing instincts just this one time, and give it a few minutes"

Reactions: crambone
I love that they rolled CP time in there. I was working in a roller skating rink a long time ago in Daytona that hosted Bethune Cookman homecoming when the promoter of the event, a man named TC that looked like Bernie Mac, introduced me to colored people time. We were wondering where the act, Beatmaster Clay D and Prince Raheem, was when he said, "boy, don't you know we work on colored people time. They'll be here 30-40 minutes after whatever time you think they'll be here." Sure enough they showed up 45 minutes late, lined up a set of speakers that was 150 feet long and 15 feet high (can't even imagine how many 15's that is) and did a quick sound check. The bass hit so damn hard the air moved. What followed involved a large amount of smoke, a damn fine contact high, and a huge amount of scantily clad women.

I learned a lot of things that night I never knew were real. It was a formative experience. Of course, it ended when some dumbass pulled a gun and the DJ's told everyone to get the f' out. I laugh to this day at seeing Bartell Bartell from 102 Jamz run into the rental skate room and dive under the counter hiding from the guy with the gun. That image never gets old. That and the fact that Clay D and Raheem were doing lines of coke and other unspeakables on the same tables that 10 hours later little Johnny and Jenny were having their magical roller skating birthday parties. Ah... Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT