ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the Room

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
I know that there are many good things our A.D. is doing but is this an issue?

https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.co...all-scheduling-than-any-power-conference-team

We don't want to have to schedule the Moscow Bears again...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_UCF_Knights_football_team

I think for now we should stop trying to play Florida teams since we have USF scheduled every year. Our #1 objective if P5 wont play us is to show our product off across the nation outside of AAC. Play any Division I team willing to play but dump FAU and FIU crap games.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I agree. Don’t focus too much on Florida schools. We actually have 3 this year. Think outside the box. Stanford, Pittsburgh, etc.

The Florida schools are good games for bragging rights and recruiting battles. However, if they don’t want to play us, so be it

https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.co...all-scheduling-than-any-power-conference-team

I think for now we should stop trying to play Florida teams since we have USF scheduled every year. Our #1 objective if P5 wont play us is to show our product off across the nation outside of AAC. Play any Division I team willing to play but dump FAU and FIU crap games.

Want to clarify that FAU and FIU are D1. "P5", "G5", FBS, and FCS are all D1. FBS and FCS are subdivisions within Division 1 that are NCAA-official. "P5" and "G5" are imaginary distinctions based on the conference TV deals.

Reactions: MechaKnight
If it strictly national brand awareness, then I see your point and think we should work to sprinkle in schools from other areas to get the UCF brand out there.

Another thing to consider, perhaps DW is looking to keep away game costs down to make football more profitable. It's just a thought and while fiscally responsible it doesn't move the excitement needle for me either. Perhaps his end game is something grander and this is the path he's chosen to get us there. Also, I don't know if game contracts pay ALL of our expenses when we are the visiting team or not.

This Danny White guy makes nearly a million bucks, is really smart, has AD blood in his family who he consults with, and is heavily coveted around the country

Sit back and relax guys. I trust his judgment This guy makes almost no mistakes or bad decisions

Not so sure how long ago these Florida schools were scheduled.......agree with it or not is this really on AD DW?

It's not time to panic on scheduling.

We already have our two P5 games in 2020. Look for the normal FCS game and a home game with a G5 (home and home series). Same situation in 2022 except both P5 games are home, so probably ad an FCS team. That gets us seven home games both years, which is DW's goal right now.

2021, 2024 and 2025 only have one P5 each year so far and 2023 has no OOC games scheduled, so lots of work to do there.

I’d like to see a Marshall series. They would probably agree to a 4 game home and home.

I know we need P5 games but Marshall feels like an easy layup for the ADs.

I wonder if DW making so much noise about playoff and scheduling fairness has put off ADs who otherwise would have been open to a 1-1 with UCF, but don't want to get sucked into the playoff/scheduling fairness debate

I’d like to see a Marshall series. They would probably agree to a 4 game home and home.

I know we need P5 games but Marshall feels like an easy layup for the ADs.
I literally never want to play Marshall again. I do not want to ever travel to West Virginia and that series ran its course. We won 8 straight vs them. There's nothing more to prove there.

If you're going the G5 route, App State, Army, Fresno St, Troy, Arkansas St, San Diego St, Buffalo, and obviously Boise are all superior options

If it strictly national brand awareness, then I see your point and think we should work to sprinkle in schools from other areas to get the UCF brand out there.

Another thing to consider, perhaps DW is looking to keep away game costs down to make football more profitable. It's just a thought and while fiscally responsible it doesn't move the excitement needle for me either. Perhaps his end game is something grander and this is the path he's chosen to get us there. Also, I don't know if game contracts pay ALL of our expenses when we are the visiting team or not.
There's the hype and then there's the reality of getting us the best schedules possible. I'm hoping for a good mixture of both. The P5s aren't going to budge because it's the right thing to do. We've already seen this play out in sports talk show's over past 2 seasons. I'm not a proponent of 2 for 1s either. Let USF do their ass kissing routine alone. They've got crap leadership over there.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I literally never want to play Marshall again. I do not want to ever travel to West Virginia and that series ran its course. We won 8 straight vs them. There's nothing more to prove there.

If you're going the G5 route, App State, Army, Fresno St, Troy, Arkansas St, San Diego St, Buffalo, and obviously Boise are all superior options
Marshall would LOVE to play us again. However, you are correct. It IS over.

Honestly, we don’t want any part of Army. A revenge game vs Arkansas State would be nice for that reason alone. The others are good options except for the travel distance

I wonder if DW making so much noise about playoff and scheduling fairness has put off ADs who otherwise would have been open to a 1-1 with UCF, but don't want to get sucked into the playoff/scheduling fairness debate
Definitely a possibility. However, it just comes down to they don’t need us and we sort of “need” them. They just have nothing to gain and everything to lose. It would be a gift to get a 1 and 1 with a quality P5 school

That’s just reality. Very thankful to Stanford, Pittsburgh, etc

Definitely a possibility. However, it just comes down to they don’t need us and we sort of “need” them. They just have nothing to gain and everything to lose. It would be a gift to get a 1 and 1 with a quality P5 school

That’s just reality. Very thankful to Stanford, Pittsburgh, etc

Which if DW has rebuffed Boise State and other G5 teams with a similar mentality the options start dwindling.

Most of the mid-tier to lower tier P5 teams have the least openings especially in the next 3-5 years. Also to point a lot of those openings are teams that traditionally play an FCS every year, but hasn't scheduled an FCS team yet.

Georgia State would be a good series.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
images

Last I read, teams that had an open date in 2020 were TCU, Arkansas, FSU, Miami, Air Force, and Army (from black and gold banneret). That's our options outside of FCS teams.

Given the recent usf/2 for 1 drama, I doubt there's any chance... but it would be epic if DW were able to negotiate a 1 for 1 with FSU or Miami.

Last I read, teams that had an open date in 2020 were TCU, Arkansas, FSU, Miami, Air Force, and Army (from black and gold banneret). That's our options outside of FCS teams.

Given the recent usf/2 for 1 drama, I doubt there's any chance... but it would be epic if DW were able to negotiate a 1 for 1 with FSU or Miami.
Link if anyone is interested (very good summary of all teams’ ooc schedules):

The AAC and MWC should schedule one cross over game each year. Half of each conference goes on the road. That would give each conference 9 game schedules plus 3 extra for P5 and Other D1 schools.

Reactions: ahabmw and surfer98
ADDW is working on some good deals with programs out west. I'm not fully informed of the status of negotiations or the details but I'm expecting some good news in the next few weeks.

I don't think fans will be thrilled if they compare our future opponents to USFs opponents but it will be good.

That said, I don't mind not having big match ups. I don't know what other fans may think.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADDW is working on some good deals with programs out west. I'm not fully informed of the status of negotiations or the details but I'm expecting some good news in the next few weeks.

I don't think fans will be thrilled if they compare our future opponents to USFs opponents but it will be good.

That said, I don't mind not having big match ups. I don't know what other fans may think.
Oregon H-H would be a cool series

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT