ADVERTISEMENT

The Golden Knights

Argument #1 why not to change a name when trying to...um...establish a name for a program.

UCF was "Golden Knights" when first making itself established at the FBS level. The time to remove "Golden" should have been before then. Not 2007 after everyone in media got used to "Golden". Many in media go right to it...because that's how they learned of UCF.

There are some that want to change to Citronauts permanently. Imagine the media shitstorm that would cause. I think they are absolutely out of their mind to do so at this juncture moving to the Big 12 (it won't happen anyway, for the reasons I already mentioned).

Argument #1 why not to change a name when trying to...um...establish a name for a program.

UCF was "Golden Knights" when first making itself established at the FBS level. The time to remove "Golden" should have been before then. Not 2007 after everyone in media got used to "Golden". Many in media go right to it...because that's how they learned of UCF.

There are some that want to change to Citronauts permanently. Imagine the media shitstorm that would cause. I think they are absolutely out of their mind to do so at this juncture moving to the Big 12 (it won't happen anyway, for the reasons I already mentioned).
The biggest factor is laziness. These people do nothing to stay up to date on the subject they're supposed to be experts in. Of course there's nothing we can do about that either.

Our problem is all the other entities attach a color to the word knight, so it's easy to think we are still using golden

The biggest factor is laziness. These people do nothing to stay up to date on the subject they're supposed to be experts in. Of course there's nothing we can do about that either.
I know people in the industry (on the game/simulation side...they hire the same voice talent) and it's not as simple as many believe it to be. While I agree with being an expert on what they are reporting...we all know by now that they are not on everything. Accounting for MANY sports, and almost 260 division one teams, the ability to remember EVERY single one, and also be fully cognizant of their arbitrary trademark changes is a bit of a challenge, even for the seasoned expert. I have directly asked Danny Kannell a handful of years ago about this. Many think UCF and that Golden just pops right up due to 10 years of using it in FBS competition.

I know people in the industry (on the game/simulation side...they hire the same voice talent) and it's not as simple as many believe it to be. While I agree with being an expert on what they are reporting...we all know by now that they are not on everything. Accounting for MANY sports, and almost 260 division one teams, the ability to remember EVERY single one, and also be fully cognizant of their arbitrary trademark changes is a bit of a challenge, even for the seasoned expert. I have directly asked Danny Kannell a handful of years ago about this. Many think UCF and that Golden just pops right up due to 10 years of using it in FBS competition.
I thought you guys were the Scarlet Knights. It really doesn't matter because EVERYONE and their MOTHER will know exactly who you are before Gus is gone

We really set the bar low on competence in this day and age. It’s not like we’re an FCS also-ran. UCF has been one of the bigger stories in college football for the last decade. If you cover college football at all on a national, or even a Southern, level, there really is no excuse other than laziness and ineptitude.

Reactions: PositYourself
We really set the bar low on competence in this day and age. It’s not like we’re an FCS also-ran. UCF has been one of the bigger stories in college football for the last decade. If you cover college football at all on a national, or even a Southern, level, there really is no excuse other than laziness and ineptitude.
Right, they should be impervious to mistakes. Perfection should be absolute.

• Dislike
Reactions: PositYourself
Right, they should be impervious to mistakes. Perfection should be absolute.
Sorry but @sk8knight is absolutely right. We're not living in the age of telegraphs and dance cards anymore. You wanna be a sports "analyst", you should at least get the f#ckin team's name right. IT'S NOT HARD.

It reminds me of the ESPN boxing analysts, 3 weeks ago, joking about the South African boxer who was, as they put it, "fighting a ghost"....they had no idea he actually suffered brain hemmoraging and later died, to which a round later, they apologized....this is while fair whether boxing fans simply had to click on a headline CBS article prior to this idiotic statement.

I once thought these "analysts" were experts in their field, but yet they're just ill-informed mouth pieces. Google it. It was an atrocity.

But I digress....I'm convinced we, the fans, are more informed than they will ever be.

Cool. War beagle
Oh My God Reaction GIF

I like Citranauts, it'll never happen, but if we did return, a counter point to your #1 - nobody slips up and says Stanford "Indians" anymore.

Ok, not going to argue.

My opinion is still unchanged. I believe many of you to be assuming the challenges of another's profession without participating or or working in that profession.

Are any of you in broadcast or communications? I'm not...

I just don't take the "Golden" thing personally. It doesn't piss me off, so I guess I'm not THAT purist...and it certainly hasn't hurt a damn thing. I personally chuckle about it, and brush it off.

Not your best work.
I guess I just don't care enough to get bent out of shape about it. The verbal slips calling UCF "golden" has had no detraction on UCF's rise through the FBS and now going into the Big 12. I see it as really small potatoes and people being insensed about it is a little pretentious.

Can anyone find a case as an example where these slips have hurt UCF? I am a believer in observed results and evidence. Or is it simply an annoyance/grievance situation?

(Football needs to get here f'ing soon...like....extremely f'ing neigh)

Last edited:
I guess I just don't care enough to get bent out of shape about it. The verbal slips calling UCF "golden" has had no detraction on UCF's rise through the FBS and now going into the Big 12. I see it as really small potatoes and people being insensed about it is a little pretentious.

Can anyone find a case as an example where these slips have hurt UCF? I am a believer in observed results and evidence. Or is it simply an annoyance/grievance situation?

(Football needs to get here f'ing soon...like....extremely f'ing neigh)
I agree. Also, we were successful in changing our signage to UCF from C. Florida on the TV game listing, to the detriment of those out at the West “south” florida university that still gets their listing as s. florida on their TV game signage.

Although I do roll my eyes at the “golden knights”, it also makes me chuckle, it’s part of our history. The “UCF” was adopted and stands for more, it’s a brand now. I do love the inclusion of the Citronaut, we should embrace that along with the space game threads, it’s unique and cool.

I agree. Also, we were successful in changing our signage to UCF from C. Florida on the TV game listing, to the detriment of those out at the West “south” florida university that still gets their listing as s. florida on their TV game signage.

Although I do roll my eyes at the “golden knights”, it also makes me chuckle, it’s part of our history. The “UCF” was adopted and stands for more, it’s a brand now. I do love the inclusion of the Citronaut, we should embrace that along with the space game threads, it’s unique and cool.
I frankly do not care either way... Just win.

While I'm sitting here taking my post-morning coffee dump, I say we embrace our history... Bring back "Golden" as an auxiliary name similar to Citranaut... Hell, instead of Knights in script on our helmets, write "Golden", just to keep discussions going about UCF.

Beholden the Golden Knights.

• Haha
Reactions: tjb74
I frankly do not care either way... Just win.

While I'm sitting here taking my post-morning coffee dump, I say we embrace our history... Bring back "Golden" as an auxiliary name similar to Citranaut... Hell, instead of Knights in script on our helmets, write "Golden", just to keep discussions going about UCF.

Beholden the Golden Knights.
The Golden Citronauts, who wear Canaveral Blue?

Las Vegas Hockey team are the Golden Knights.

Journalist and their editors really need to know this is a mistake when they include golden in with the UCF name. It's elementary.

Amen to that. The internet giveth and the internet taketh away.

Remember how we HAD to do a works cited page? guess that doesn't apply anymore. hehehe

I always liked the “Fighting Knights,” circa 1979-1993. Perhaps we even update to be more inclusive of our association with the space industry and call them the “Galactic Knights”? That would open us up to a whole new set gameday themes potentially honoring all the cool sci-fi franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc…

Grow the game but goddammit don’t call us the Golden Knights 🤣
It could be worse… Does anyone remember when we hosted the TAAC conference basketball championship many years ago (early nineties) and the game was actually televised on ESPN? I believe the analysts’ exact words were… “and here come the PURPLE Knights of Central Florida”. 😳😳😳
Me and my buddies had a good laugh about that and we often still joke about it when we meet up to watch games together.

It could be worse… Does anyone remember when we hosted the TAAC conference basketball championship many years ago (early nineties) and the game was actually televised on ESPN? I believe the analysts’ exact words were… “and here come the PURPLE Knights of Central Florida”. 😳😳😳
Me and my buddies had a good laugh about that and we often still joke about it when we meet up to watch games together.
I was 5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT