ADVERTISEMENT

The Hatred is real

You quoted my post with something about how regular season upsets were not a big deal and I was moving goalposts. I don't know where you are getting that from. The discussion about college football has long been that the regular season was so great because one loss could be the difference in a national title or not, and that every game was such a big deal. There has never been a time that a major upset in the college football season wasn't considered a big deal.
A big deal for whom, though? When Purdue upset Ohio St, did that position Purdue to be taken more seriously or did people just knock Ohio St? When USF racked up some upsets against P5 opponents, did people find respect for USF or did they downgrade the teams they beat?

I'm not saying you're moving the goalposts, I'm saying that CFP and many commentators are. They are trying to say that our bowl wins aren't enough now and we need to take a 2 for 1 with UF to finally get respect. I'm arguing that if they didn't respect us for Bowl wins (and they all forgot about the last Fiesta Bowl), then they will also forget any regular season wins against P5s, especially if those programs are at low points.

We should just build the program, keep winning championships, and take 1 for 1's with the P5s willing to play us instead of losing money and potential fans by jumping through the next hoop that won't actually gain us any respect.

A big deal for whom, though? When Purdue upset Ohio St, did that position Purdue to be taken more seriously or did people just knock Ohio St? When USF racked up some upsets against P5 opponents, did people find respect for USF or did they downgrade the teams they beat?

I'm not saying you're moving the goalposts, I'm saying that CFP and many commentators are. They are trying to say that our bowl wins aren't enough now and we need to take a 2 for 1 with UF to finally get respect. I'm arguing that if they didn't respect us for Bowl wins (and they all forgot about the last Fiesta Bowl), then they will also forget any regular season wins against P5s, especially if those programs are at low points.

We should just build the program, keep winning championships, and take 1 for 1's with the P5s willing to play us instead of losing money and potential fans by jumping through the next hoop that won't actually gain us any respect.

What were you expecting to happen with Purdue? They were 3-3 going into the OSU game with a loss to Eastern Michigan. And they ended up at 6-6. So yeah, an upset doesn't erase the other games, but it is most certainly a big deal. Without that loss OSU is 13-0 and playing in the playoffs.

FWIW, most people didn't look at Purdue beating OSU and say "man, OSU must suck". They saw that and thought that Purdue under Jeff Brohm was a dangerous team. A better example would be BYU beating Wisconsin or ODU beating Vatech.
And for the record, USF was and still is a pretty well respected team because of those wins. Last year and years prior, if you would have asked the average fan who would win between UCF and USF on any given day I'd bet that 70% would go with USF. That isn't a knock on UCF either, its just what national perception has been

Reactions: G8RLegist
Actually, your greatest source of income is Student Fees. By far. Next is Booster Contributions, then NCAA and Conference distributions, and then Game Day tickets.
You're right about student fees and booster contributions. My point is that we make more from home games than we do from away games. DW says we make $2 million from home games and I believe it was you who stated UF pays $1.5 million per game.
I acknowledge we get exposure from playing UF but a loss doesnt help. Plus we're not able to provide fans with that game which is a part of DWs strategy of building our fanbase.

Reactions: G8RLegist
According to the UCFAA's audited financials (filed with the state each year), your revenue for 2017 included $22,610,206 from Student Fees and $4,959,403 from Game Tickets. I'm not sure where concessions and parking revenues are posted unless they are included in "Other operating revenues" of $808,164. You had another $5,147,888 from "Transfer from Stadium Corp" under non-operating revenues, so maybe that is it. Even still, Student Fees would be more than twice the Game Day revenues.

The confusion might be that the ticket revenue probably does not include the booster club donation required to purchase season tickets in certain sections. I went through every section of the stadium and calculated the total value (ticket + required donation) assuming every seat was sold at the season ticket price...which is a significant discount from the single game price.

The total came to $10.8 million for this season. That doesn't include the 17 field cabanas or 20 tower suites because I have not been able to find out how much those lease for. When the stadium first opened I think the suites might have been $100K per season on a 5 year lease (but I have not been able to verify)...which would come to roughly $14,200 - $16,600 each per game. The two corner suites are more expensive.

So yea...student fees are a much larger percentage of our income, but it also confirms that UCF generates a minimum of $2 million in revenue for each home game (not including the field cabanas and concession revenue).

The confusion might be that the ticket revenue probably does not include the booster club donation required to purchase season tickets in certain sections. I went through every section of the stadium and calculated the total value (ticket + required donation) assuming every seat was sold at the season ticket price...which is a significant discount from the single game price.

The total came to $10.8 million for this season. That doesn't include the 17 field cabanas or 20 tower suites because I have not been able to find out how much those lease for. When the stadium first opened I think the suites might have been $100K per season on a 5 year lease (but I have not been able to verify)...which would come to roughly $14,200 - $16,600 each per game. The two corner suites are more expensive.

So yea...student fees are a much larger percentage of our income, but it also confirms that UCF generates a minimum of $2 million in revenue for each home game (not including the field cabanas and concession revenue).

I’m sure Ticket revenue does not include any required contribution needed to qualify for the tickets. Unfortunately the financial statement did not delineate that entry. Total contributions were $7,109,344.

If the AAC needs to improve it's OOC, then so do the Big XII and PAC 12 ... let alone the ACC this year! Seriously! I'm tired of this BS. The AAC has proven in its first 6 seasons that it's either P6 ... or only P2-3. I'd argue only Power 2 this year -- Big 10 and SEC -- the ACC has been awful.

As many times as you try to convince people of this, its simply not true. The AAC is clearly the 6th best conference, and it's not close. UCF is the only solid program in the entire conference. Even a conference like the ACC, which hasn't been great lately, has multiple teams that can recruit many of the best prospects in the country and become national championship contenders.
Actually, your greatest source of income is Student Fees. By far. Next is Booster Contributions, then NCAA and Conference distributions, and then Game Day tickets.

I believe UCF’s student athletic fee is one of the highest in the nation...and UCF also has the second most students of any university. Quite a money maker.

FWIW, most people didn't look at Purdue beating OSU and say "man, OSU must suck". They saw that and thought that Purdue under Jeff Brohm was a dangerous team. A better example would be BYU beating Wisconsin or ODU beating Vatech.
Fine, we can use those other examples. I don't remember anyone talking about Purdue being good, though. I remember a lot of people saying that OSU sucks because Purdue was garbage. Maybe you spent more time on the Purdue boards than I did.
And for the record, USF was and still is a pretty well respected team because of those wins. Last year and years prior, if you would have asked the average fan who would win between UCF and USF on any given day I'd bet that 70% would go with USF. That isn't a knock on UCF either, its just what national perception has been
Agree to disagree. USF was listed as one of the pathetic AAC teams we played and a reason why we need to schedule 2 for 1's with real teams. Maybe USF would have had the edge because they were in a BCS conference, that does not mean that they or us were well-respected.

That's like saying, "For the record, if you would have asked the average fan who would win between FAU and FIU on any given day, I'd bet that 70% would go with FAU."

That's probably true, but a fairly useless piece of information when it comes to reputation gained from P5 wins.

Fine, we can use those other examples. I don't remember anyone talking about Purdue being good, though. I remember a lot of people saying that OSU sucks because Purdue was garbage. Maybe you spent more time on the Purdue boards than I did.

Agree to disagree. USF was listed as one of the pathetic AAC teams we played and a reason why we need to schedule 2 for 1's with real teams. Maybe USF would have had the edge because they were in a BCS conference, that does not mean that they or us were well-respected.

That's like saying, "For the record, if you would have asked the average fan who would win between FAU and FIU on any given day, I'd bet that 70% would go with FAU."

That's probably true, but a fairly useless piece of information when it comes to reputation gained from P5 wins.

I'm just talking about respect from the average fan, not the talking heads who have an agenda. Currently, UCF and USF are probably together in what people would consider the 2nd tier of Florida schools, fair or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT