ADVERTISEMENT

The Last of Us

Finally. A real discussion thread on a fun topic!!! 👍

A lot of people were thinking this show was another zombie show like The Walking Dead. And while The Walking Dead was pretty good for the first few seasons, this show is so far beyond that show it isn't funny. The acting, the writing, and the production is first-rate.

One of the best TV shows I've watched in a long time.

Reactions: georgiaknight
Finally. A real discussion thread on a fun topic!!! 👍

A lot of people were thinking this show was another zombie show like The Walking Dead. And while The Walking Dead was pretty good for the first few seasons, this show is so far beyond that show it isn't funny. The acting, the writing, and the production is first-rate.

One of the best TV shows I've watched in a long time.
Great show so far. It's more centered on story rather than blowing the heads off of zombies, which is nice.

Reactions: DaShuckster
I really like it but still have a few reservations. Until last episode I was concerned that I wasn't caring about Joel or Ellie but they fixed alot of that in Ep 4.

What I want are more flashbacks like they had been doing to open the first 2 episodes. The way that the virus spread and cratered society is just as interesting as having to live in the world 20 years later. The scene with the doctor in Indonesia was nuts.

I really like it but still have a few reservations. Until last episode I was concerned that I wasn't caring about Joel or Ellie but they fixed alot of that in Ep 4.

What I want are more flashbacks like they had been doing to open the first 2 episodes. The way that the virus spread and cratered society is just as interesting as having to live in the world 20 years later. The scene with the doctor in Indonesia was nuts.
That's fair. And I love the flashbacks as well. I want to see how all this came together and for it to have lasted 20 years from the initial outbreak.

I recall a lot of angst from the Gamer community when it was announced that the actress, Belle Ramsey was picked to play Elle.

While I agreed that Belle didn't look like the game version of the character, I was willing to give her the benefit of a doubt because I thought she was incredible in Game of Thrones. Her little monologue in the Jon Snow, "King of the North!" episode was (IMO) one of the highlights of the whole series.

But Belle has absolutely embodied Elle in these first four episodes. One of the things about her performance that really stands out to me is how believable she is as a 14 year old -- that was especially the case in this last episode (#4). It's all the more impressive when you realize the actress is English.

Just an FYI for any fans of the show: Since the Super Bowl is Sunday, they've switched the next episode from Sunday to tonight.

Just an FYI for any fans of the show: Since the Super Bowl is Sunday, they've switched the next episode from Sunday to tonight.
giphy.gif

I want to know why these fukcing clickers can't be killed by machine guns. Seems a little bit out there.

The scene where all the infected, including the Bloaters, poured out from underground was pretty amazing.

I'm very close to jumping off the ship. The show is making some really weird decisions that isn't panning out well and just bogging things down. Sam and Harry plotline made absolutely no sense, and the militia leader woman was as believable as UCFBS' skills as a surgeon. Also, I did not give a shit about the Kansas City story, her brother, her doctor, etc. Total wasted fluff.

• Dislike
I'm very close to jumping off the ship.
Go ahead and jump ship. Word of mouth has this show GAINING big viewership numbers each week since its huge opening. I doubt losing you will be the end of the world.
The show is making some really weird decisions that isn't panning out well and just bogging things down.
Weird decisions? Bogging things down? I swear you must be watching a different show than the rest of us.
Sam and Harry plotline made absolutely no sense
Yes, it was a departure from the game but it tied the whole Kansas City plotline together by making Henry and Sam (and by association, Joel and Elle) the target of Kathleen's venom.
and the militia leader woman was as believable as UCFBS' skills as a surgeon.
She was described as the sister of the rebels' charismatic leader who was (apparently) hung by FEDRA. Because of that relationship, viewers understood exactly why the soldiers (like Perry) now followed her lead. Instead of giving us the 'usual' villain, they give us a woman who looked like she could have been a sweet kindergarten teacher before the pandemic. But -- as her Second-in-Command, Perry said -- she was the one responsible for overthrowing FEDRA in KC, not her brother. I guess there's something to be said for having the heart of a stone-cold assassin.

I thought it was an incredibly clever way to portray the episode's antagonist. The way she addressed her prisoners as if they were naughty school children was bone-chilling. Especially after she left the room telling Perry to kill them and burn the bodies (it's quicker) after she got what she wanted from them.
Also, I did not give a shit about the Kansas City story, her brother, her doctor, etc. Total wasted fluff.
To each his own. I thought it set up a kick-butt Final Act in the episode where all the infected came pouring out of the ground (with a Bloater) and led to the conclusion of Henry and Sam's storyline. While their ending was an emotional part of the game for Gamers, that same scene played in live-action with amazing actors was (IMO) much more powerful. By the way, I loved the notion that Elle thought she might be able to save Sam with her blood--and then left his scratch pad on his grave the next day with "I'm sorry" written on it when she couldn't.

I will admit that this is the kind of story that if Gamers tune in anticipating a straight-forward replay of the video game, they're going to be sorely disappointed. The fact it's a well-written adaptation is why it's already become a blockbuster hit for HBO and the most successful adaptation of a video game we've ever seen.

Last edited:
Go ahead and jump ship. Word of mouth has this show GAINING big viewership numbers each week since its huge opening. I doubt losing you will be the end of the world.

Weird decisions? Bogging things down? I swear you must be watching a different show than the rest of us.

Yes, it was a departure from the game but it tied the whole Kansas City plotline together by making Henry and Sam (and by association, Joel and Elle) the target of Kathleen's venom.

She was described as the sister of the rebels' charismatic leader who was (apparently) hung by FEDRA. Because of that relationship, viewers understood exactly why the soldiers (like Perry) now followed her lead. Instead of giving us the 'usual' villain, they give us a woman who looked like she could have been a sweet kindergarten teacher before the pandemic. But -- as her Second-in-Command, Perry said -- she was the one responsible for overthrowing FEDRA in KC, not her brother. I guess there's something to be said for having the heart of a stone-cold assassin.

I thought it was an incredibly clever way to portray the episode's antagonist. The way she addressed her prisoners as if they were naughty school children was bone-chilling. Especially after she left the room telling Perry to kill them and burn the bodies (it's quicker) after she got what she wanted from them.

To each his own. I thought it set up a kick-butt Final Act in the episode where all the infected came pouring out of the ground (with a Bloater) and led to the conclusion of Henry and Sam's storyline. While their ending was an emotional part of the game for Gamers, that same scene played in live-action with amazing actors was (IMO) much more powerful. By the way, I loved the notion that Elle thought she might be able to save Sam with her blood--and then left his scratch pad on his grave the next day with "I'm sorry" written on it when she couldn't.

I will admit that this is the kind of story that if Gamers tune in anticipating a straight-forward replay of the video game, they're going to be sorely disappointed. The fact it's a well-written adaptation is why it's already become a blockbuster hit for HBO and the most successful adaptation of a video game we've ever seen.

Got to your first sentence and stopped reading. Good to see that you’re as insufferable as the good ol’ days. You and UCFBS should be friends, you both writes tons of words that no one reads.

GOT Season 8 set record HBO viewership numbers and the finale recorded 20M viewers, despite the fact that Season 8 was flaming dogshit and HBO allowed a near flawless show to be turned into a cartoon. Viewership on HBO doesn’t automatically mean the product is actually the best it can be. And so far, I think TLOU could be way, way better than it is. So far.

I plan on it, but haven't yet, but i hear it's really good.
I would encourage anyone who is intrigued by what they've been hearing but don't have HBO to subscribe for one month to binge watch the first half and then watch the last four weekly episodes. The weekly build-up to a new episode is half the fun.

Everything about this show is amazing -- particularly the writing and the acting. (And we're only halfway -- 5 of 9 -- through!)

👍👍👍👍👍

I want to know why these fukcing clickers can't be killed by machine guns. Seems a little bit out there.
They’re definitely playing up the severity of clickers in the show compared to the game. As the game progresses and you the player gets access to better weapons, clickers are pretty easily disposed of.

As for you wanting more flashbacks to life within the 20 years between the outbreak and now, I doubt you get it. Like in GOT, Joel And Ellie will discuss previous and actions of life pre and post outbreak, but that’s about it.

You will get an episode of Ellie breaking out of the QZ with her friend and getting bit in the shopping mall. That was a DLC in the game and should make a good episode.

They’re definitely playing up the severity of clickers in the show compared to the game. As the game progresses and you the player gets access to better weapons, clickers are pretty easily disposed of.
If you think about how a shotgun blast (or a knife) to the head quickly disposes of the undead in most zombie flicks, it makes sense that the infected in this show are harder to kill since the clicker-versions have got hard-plated fungus growing out from their faces.

Overall I think they’re doing an excellent job adapting this for TV from a video game. The game is one of the best I ever played. Very story driven already and hits you emotionally.

The show actually gave Bill/Frank a better story. In the game Bill is a total asshole and you have to work with him to find a car that works. Through this process you find out Frank grew to despise Bill and died trying to get the car to get away from him.

In the game the “Hunter infested” city is Pittsburgh, not KC. Henry and Sam are from another group who got attacked and you work with them to escape. I like that the show is trying to develop a deeper story to them and the “hunters” who over threw FEDRA, but I just don’t believe Kathleen was a good casting choice as a leader. I get why they did it, just not believable in any way when you have Perry right next to her.

If you think about how a shotgun blast (or a knife) to the head quickly disposes of the undead in most zombie flicks, it makes sense that the infected in this show are harder to kill since the clicker-versions have got hard-plated fungus growing out from their faces.
A shotgun shell to the head still disposed of them in the game. But ammo is extremely limited in the game, so they put emphasis on stealth. So they incentivize you to move quietly, use their lack of sight, and bring a quick knife to their throat to kill them.

Now the bloaters, they’re treated like bosses at the points in the game where you meet them. Stealth isn’t needed, and you just have to go guns a blazing with the best you’ve got to kills those guys.

I just don’t believe Kathleen was a good casting choice as a leader. I get why they did it, just not believable in any way when you have Perry right next to her.
I will admit that my first reaction to Kathleen was, "Really? Her???"

But I thought Craig Mazin made her leadership believable once her background story was revealed to viewers.
  1. She was the beloved 'little sister' the rebel group's former leader;
  2. She was clearly the brains of the organization;
  3. She was part of the leadership group's inner-circle who 'went off the rails' in anger over her brother's death; and
  4. Her grief turned her into a cold-blooded badass who led the rebels to overthrow FEDRA.
My initial "WTF?" at Kathleen turned to fascination as I watched this sweet-sounding Kindergarten teacher show her cuthroat, 'I don't give a sh*t' side. In my opinion, it ended up making her scenes much more memorable. Replace her with Perry and you'd have gotten just another typical badguy we've seen played out in hundreds of action/adventure shows.

Last edited:

As for you wanting more flashbacks to life within the 20 years between the outbreak and now, I doubt you get it. Like in GOT, Joel And Ellie will discuss previous and actions of life pre and post outbreak, but that’s about it.

You will get an episode of Ellie breaking out of the QZ with her friend and getting bit in the shopping mall. That was a DLC in the game and should make a good episode.
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

I like the series. It isn't perfect and I get some of the points 85 was trying to make, but at the end of the day, it's entertaining.

Kathleen's character was effing annoying. I was glad to watch her ass get eaten.

Overall I think they’re doing an excellent job adapting this for TV from a video game. The game is one of the best I ever played. Very story driven already and hits you emotionally.

The show actually gave Bill/Frank a better story. In the game Bill is a total asshole and you have to work with him to find a car that works. Through this process you find out Frank grew to despise Bill and died trying to get the car to get away from him.

In the game the “Hunter infested” city is Pittsburgh, not KC. Henry and Sam are from another group who got attacked and you work with them to escape. I like that the show is trying to develop a deeper story to them and the “hunters” who over threw FEDRA, but I just don’t believe Kathleen was a good casting choice as a leader. I get why they did it, just not believable in any way when you have Perry right next to her.

Well said. The Frank and Bill episode was extremely well written and directed and in a short amount of time provided characters that you can care about. Good depth and believable.

Kathleen was the opposite as a character.

Another strong episode last night.

For some reason, the quality of this series is reminding me of the way I felt two films into Peter Jackson's LOTR film trilogy back in the day. You JUST KNOW the wrap up will be a real treat!
:)

Both are tried-and-true epic fantasy quests that have been crafted in such a way that you as a viewer feel personally invested in the outcome. Rarely do you experience that level of emotional engagement with the protagonists in most action adventure films/series.

That's what I call pretty damn impressive screenwriting, be it a story about a little hobbit with a magical ring or one about a broken 56-year old man and a 14-year old girl surviving a zombie apocolypse.

*****spoilers ahead******

I do like this series a lot, but there are some plot holes and other annoyances that one must look past. It's based on a video game, I get it (and I will admit I haven't played it yet), and you have to suspend reality for a bit. For example: I guess those two shots of penicillin really fukcin kicked in for Joel. I mean, he went from basically comatose to bad ass serial killer in about 30 seconds. That being said, I thought they did a good job of showing the horrible sides of the human condition in these recent episodes. I've kind of had it in the back of my mind whether or not they'd come upon a community that resorted to cannibalism in the midst of this apocalypse. Also, the pedo leader was portrayed really well. Creepy AF.

In all, it's entertaining and I will see it through. It's not close to some of HBO's other outstanding series (Sopranos, GOT before they ruined it, True Detective Season I, Six Feet Under, Chernobyl, The Wire), but it's definitely worth a watch.

In all, it's entertaining and I will see it through. It's not close to some of HBO's other outstanding series (Sopranos, GOT before they ruined it, True Detective Season I, Six Feet Under, Chernobyl, The Wire), but it's definitely worth a watch.
I didn't watch Six Feet Under or the Sopranos but I think TLOU fits in nicely with HBO's best. FYI, the TLOU game was made into a TV series by the same guy who made Chernobyl.

It's rare (IMO) for your basic "bing, bing, bing!" action-adventure series -- let alone a 'zombie' one from a video game -- to pack the emotional punches this show has done every episode. Obviously the writing is the most critical component but Bella and Pedro's acting has been truly award-worthy.

All entertainment is subjective but personally, I give this show a BIG thumb's up!

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
I didn't watch Six Feet Under or the Sopranos but I think TLOU fits in nicely with HBO's best. FYI, the TLOU game was made into a TV series by the same guy who made Chernobyl.

It's rare (IMO) for your basic "bing, bing, bing!" action-adventure series -- let alone a 'zombie' one from a video game -- to pack the emotional punches this show has done every episode. Obviously the writing is the most critical component but Bella and Pedro's acting has been truly award-worthy.

All entertainment is subjective but personally, I give this show a BIG thumb's up!
I just watched the Sopranos for the first time recently. I don’t recommend it. It just doesn’t hold up and the ending was absolutely horrible on the level of GoT bad.

I can see why the show is historic and blew people’s minds in the 90s early 2000s. But other shows have taken the good of Sopranos and perfected it while leaving the bad. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are much better shows.

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are much better shows.
The thing about most modern TV series is that most cannot sustain their quality from beginning to end. On that front, those two shows are the 'Gold Standard' of quality dramatic 'adventure-type' TV series. I would personally add Chernobyl, The Wire, The Mandalorian, Star Trek TNG, and Battlestar Galactic (2004-version).

In the 'almost' category, I would add most seasons of GOT (until the last one), the second season of Deadwood, most seasons of Lost (until its lame conclusion), the first two seasons of Fargo, and the first few seasons of 24.

I just watched the Sopranos for the first time recently. I don’t recommend it. It just doesn’t hold up and the ending was absolutely horrible on the level of GoT bad.

I can see why the show is historic and blew people’s minds in the 90s early 2000s. But other shows have taken the good of Sopranos and perfected it while leaving the bad. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are much better shows.
This entire post is laughable. The sopranos is one of the greatest shows in the history of television that 100% holds up today. You are probably the only person on the planet who ever uttered this nonsense.

This entire post is laughable. The sopranos is one of the greatest shows in the history of television that 100% holds up today. You are probably the only person on the planet who ever uttered this nonsense.
They were stealing beepers and VCRs in the first season lol. Too many characters introduced at random, most that served no purpose. And that ending made Dany going bad at the end of GoT look like a masterpiece.

Gandolfini and Edie Falco make the show, but I felt like it dragged almost for no reason. Literally the best parts of the show were him in therapy.

They were stealing beepers and VCRs in the first season lol. Too many characters introduced at random, most that served no purpose. And that ending made Dany going bad at the end of GoT look like a masterpiece.

Gandolfini and Edie Falco make the show, but I felt like it dragged almost for no reason. Literally the best parts of the show were him in therapy.
Actually, they were stealing DVDs in the first season and they never stole beepers. But I digress...

With the exception of the technology, the show absolutely stands up. Period. They couldn't exactly be stealing blu rays and Iphones in 1999. I have watched The Sopranos numerous times from start to finish. Probably over 20. The number of characters are probably half of GOT, a series I also have watched numerous times. And the ending of The Sopranos was brilliant. You probably missed the entire revelation of how it was going to end with Tony and Bobby in the boat during the final season. The fifth season alone was absolutely masterful--probably why it won an Emmy for best show that year.

The thing I have enjoyed most about the series is that for the most part have stayed true to the source material. Obviously some things had to change for TV but unlike so many other video game adaptations the changes made sense. I’m really interested to see what they do in season two as they adapt the second game. Don’t want to spoil anything but it had a lot of story twists that were controversial. The Last of Us Part 2 is also probably twice as long as Part 1 so I could see them splitting it into two seasons to tell the full story.

The Last of Us Part 2 is also probably twice as long as Part 1 so I could see them splitting it into two seasons to tell the full story.
I read somewhere that the showrunners expect to split the second game into two seasons for the TV show.

Are the subsequent games a continuation of the story between Joel and Ellie or a different narrative in this apocalyptic world?

ADVERTISEMENT