ADVERTISEMENT

The new 12-Team Playoff

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Besides the usual suspects (Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, etc), who are some teams that could be surprise entrants this season? Could one of them be UCF? What do you all think?

Probably get two, but not UCF. Need a couple more good recruiting years.

Besides the usual suspects (Georgia, Ohio State, Alabama, etc), who are some teams that could be surprise entrants this season? Could one of them be UCF? What do you all think?
Miami!

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Never say never guys. I think UCF's floor is 7-5 and the ceiling is playing in Dallas for the Championship. If KJ is the super hero he is somewhat hyped to be then we truly could in the hunt. The defense just needs to be a little better than last year for us to win close games we lost last year. For me it's not a stretch to say if the team clicks then UCF can be good. Let the season play out and hopefully we will all be having a good ride.

Never say never guys. I think UCF's floor is 7-5 and the ceiling is playing in Dallas for the Championship. If KJ is the super hero he is somewhat hyped to be then we truly could in the hunt. The defense just needs to be a little better than last year for us to win close games we lost last year. For me it's not a stretch to say if the team clicks then UCF can be good. Let the season play out and hopefully we will all be having a good ride.
Superhero? He wasn’t even our first choice.

Solid player with a body type that hopefully can avoid injury and do the ground work, but don’t see him making a 3-4 game difference needed to get to the championship game.

Looking forward to seeing what Gus can get out of him. Plumlee never became a good passer and hurt way too often.

They still have to prove that they can win away games in addition to winning the games at home.

This team use to have an edge of thinking they were unbeatable in Milton days.
We need that back and I'm glad that Gus is saying "we need to play with a chip on our shoulders".
We need both finesse and physicality to get the "winning edge" back.

I have been pro Playoff for years but do not like neutral sites outside of the Championship Game. If a lower seed makes a run that is a lot of traveling in the middle of the holidays.

Every game should be at the higher seed’s Campus

I prefer neutral but as centrally located between 2 schools as possible. Most venues are located in South and California so Northern schools would be doing the most traveling. We do not want to play in Michigan or Ohio in December.

I prefer neutral but as centrally located between 2 schools as possible. Most venues are located in South and California so Northern schools would be doing the most traveling. We do not want to play in Michigan or Ohio in December.
If seeding is handled by committee, sending teams up to play in Big Ten country like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania is going to make for good tv. However, I would see them avoiding sending SEC teams up there in the early rounds. Ensures all the games are played in the giant stadiums and helps manipulate which conferences make the finals.

We do not want to play in Michigan or Ohio in December.
That's the rub. The sport with its traditional, warm-weather Bowl games has always given southern teams an advantage over their northern counterparts. Once upon a time, it didn't matter during the regular season because conferences were all regional.

But now, it impacts expanded national conferences like the Big XII. Trust me, when UCF plays a conference game against Iowa State in Ames, Iowa in November, it will be a hell of a lot different challenge than playing them at home.

Superhero? He wasn’t even our first choice.

Solid player with a body type that hopefully can avoid injury and do the ground work, but don’t see him making a 3-4 game difference needed to get to the championship game.

Looking forward to seeing what Gus can get out of him. Plumlee never became a good passer and hurt way too often.

I think Darin Hinshaw is a better QB Coach than Dan Enos. Arkansas already fired him.

Expecting a more polished KJ this year.

That's the rub. The sport with its traditional, warm-weather Bowl games has always given southern teams an advantage over their northern counterparts. Once upon a time, it didn't matter during the regular season because conferences were all regional.

But now, it impacts expanded national conferences like the Big XII. Trust me, when UCF plays a conference game against Iowa State in Ames, Iowa in November, it will be a hell of a lot different challenge than playing them at home.
Totally!

The flip-side of being in a national conference is that the programs in the Southern recruiting hotbeds (Florida & Texas) have a distinct advantage. UCF may not make it this year but it's why, long-term, I believe the Knights have the biggest advantage when it comes to being the Big XII's standard bearer in the new CFB Playoffs.

Yes, the State of Texas is well-represented in the conference with four teams. But in many ways, I would argue they end up 'spreading the recruiting wealth' amongst each other. UCF has plenty of instate (non-Big XII) competition but they've carved out their own nitch in a stud-filled recruiting market. As they begin to make waves in their new Conference, their recruiting prowess will only grow.

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT