ADVERTISEMENT

The Odds aren't looking good for CFB this Fall

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
I had hoped twe'd get to a place by mid-summer where CFB would return this fall. But despite assurances from the schools themselves that they're gung-ho to proceed this fall, I'm skeptical it will happen given the resurgence we've seen in infection rates thanks to States' relaxing their guidelines.

As I see it, the problem is not the big crowds of fans attending the games as much as it is the number of players involved. The Spring protocol was that if a person was found to be infected, anyone that person came into contact with was contacted and asked to go on a voluntary 14-day quarantine. But think about what that means to a football team. All it will take is one single player on a 100-plus team -- even a 5th string walk-on -- to shut down an entire team from practicing or playing for two weeks.

Unless the protocols that were in place this Spring are changed for the fall, there's no way a large group of young men can survive fall camp and a 12-game season without a single player getting infected by the virus.

GOT DAMN CHUDDY CHUD CHUDDERZ just couldn’t go a month without a haircut. Bunch of stupid mouth breathing hillbillies frothing at the mouth to look purdy for them klan rallies and Trump chud-a-thons.

Think about what that means for impact on their classes too. They are student athletes after all *wink wink* a dude gets coughed on by a linebacker from the other team who later tests positive and now they are out of class for 2 weeks.

A team has an outbreak and cant play a game so they forfeit I guess?

You have teams that will have their whole Oline miss 2 games because they test positive so the QB gets destroyed?

I cannot fathom the total idiocy that would have to happen to think this can work for student athletes. All these schools will also react differently and some states will shut it down if there is an outbreak meaning games wont be able to be played at all.

Pros can be quarantined and tested daily.
The money is there for it in the pros. Would players from a state like mine that has got this under control want to fly to Florida that is fast deteriorating? Would you have wanted UCF's team to travel to the north east 2 months ago?

Honestly the idea that football would happen is just wishful thinking. Look on the bright side, KZs knee will be strong as hell by 2021.

Stupid. They're still going to have classes that can be attended in person, so what's the difference? Its the same quasi-measure type of BS as last time, where you can go to wal-mart but you can't go to a small store.

The 3 businesses to watch. Theme parks, OCPS, NFL. The theme parks will open soon. Then we need to watch what OCPS does with the opening of school Aug 10. Finally, the NFL will make a decision in early August.

Think about what that means for impact on their classes too. They are student athletes after all *wink wink* a dude gets coughed on by a linebacker from the other team who later tests positive and now they are out of class for 2 weeks.

A team has an outbreak and cant play a game so they forfeit I guess?

You have teams that will have their whole Oline miss 2 games because they test positive so the QB gets destroyed?

I cannot fathom the total idiocy that would have to happen to think this can work for student athletes. All these schools will also react differently and some states will shut it down if there is an outbreak meaning games wont be able to be played at all.

Pros can be quarantined and tested daily.
The money is there for it in the pros. Would players from a state like mine that has got this under control want to fly to Florida that is fast deteriorating? Would you have wanted UCF's team to travel to the north east 2 months ago?

Honestly the idea that football would happen is just wishful thinking. Look on the bright side, KZs knee will be strong as hell by 2021.

I'm not real optimistic about NFL either. We already have at least 2 teams who had several players test positive and that is before camp has even started. Plus, I dont know how it would work. If a team has several players test positive on a Saturday, then how in the world would could there be a game the following day? Even if you test daily, the accuracy rate of tests isnt 100%. I hope I am wrong but I think at best we get seasons that start later and are shortened.

Stupid. They're still going to have classes that can be attended in person, so what's the difference? Its the same quasi-measure type of BS as last time, where you can go to wal-mart but you can't go to a small store.

IF a school has an outbreak they will go back to online courses. Just because they are planning classes on campus, doesnt necessarily mean it will happen.

We’ve had a lot of teams test all 85 players returning to school and I think the most I saw were 5 players having COVID. So long as these programs test frequently I think it’s possible to play and keep outbreaks from happening. They charter planes for away games and go straight to their hotels anyways.

The bigger issue IMO is the prospect of not having fans. I don’t know how a lot of programs can afford to fund a team and travel for a full season with that type of loss in revenue. They’d pretty much have to do a “virtual ticket drive” or something to ask season ticket holders and fans to donate what they would have spent on games to build a budget to support playing without fans.

We’ve had a lot of teams test all 85 players returning to school and I think the most I saw were 5 players having COVID. So long as these programs test frequently I think it’s possible to play and keep outbreaks from happening. They charter planes for away games and go straight to their hotels anyways.

The bigger issue IMO is the prospect of not having fans. I don’t know how a lot of programs can afford to fund a team and travel for a full season with that type of loss in revenue. They’d pretty much have to do a “virtual ticket drive” or something to ask season ticket holders and fans to donate what they would have spent on games to build a budget to support playing without fans.

Thats true, it wont be in the financial interest of a lot of schools to have a season with no fans.

Testing frequently is obviously a good thing, but we know there will be players to come down with the virus, and what you do at the point seems to be the issue, as I see it. Football isnt a sport you can just find open dates to reschedule games and such, and I cant possibly see them allowing teams to play where a # of players or coaches test positive.

Testing frequently is obviously a good thing, but we know there will be players to come down with the virus, and what you do at the point seems to be the issue, as I see it. Football isnt a sport you can just find open dates to reschedule games and such, and I cant possibly see them allowing teams to play where a # of players or coaches test positive.
That's the issue.

No matter how hard you try to protect them, somebody is bound to get infected and that single infection will upset the whole apple cart.

Thats true, it wont be in the financial interest of a lot of schools to have a season with no fans.

I duno. The NBA , XFL, MLB, and NHL were all playing in March with fans in stands when spread was more widespread than it is now or would in theory be in September. A few guys got sick but we didn’t see entire teams catch COVID.

Thanks protestors too
This quote is priceless coming from the guy who a month ago was ridiculing people who "want to keep everything closed."

God forbid we actually followed the Trump Administration's own Federal guidelines on reopening. The ironic thing is I made a point of saying I actually agreed with Trump on that one -- and then the very next day he began acting like he'd never issued them.

And NOW? Trump's going to hold a massive rally in Tulsa where masks are optional? Good grief. The idiocy of our State and Federal leaders surrounding this virus knows no bounds.

I would LOVE to be proven otherwise but I can't see how in the hell we have college football this fall.

I duno. The NBA , XFL, MLB, and NHL were all playing in March with fans in stands when spread was more widespread than it is now or would in theory be in September. A few guys got sick but we didn’t see entire teams catch COVID.

THe NBA was canceled as soon as the first player who tested positive was known though, and at least one of his team mates did get it. If they had continued we dont really know how it would have worked out.

Soon only 99.98% of the people will survive. We must stay inside for 5 years. ;)

Dramatic. Are you this concerned every flu season you could die?

This isnt just about killing people, a lot of people are who live still end up with pretty serious lung damage, and lets be honest, a pro or college athlete with significant lung damage could basically potentially be the end of their career.

This isnt just about killing people, a lot of people are who live still end up with pretty serious lung damage, and lets be honest, a pro or college athlete with significant lung damage could basically potentially be the end of their career.

they could potentially end their career each time they step on a field.

Dramatic. Are you this concerned every flu season you could die?
I would have liked to have had a football season this fall. But, hey, let's have States relax their standards while their coronavirus numbers were still going up.

Oh, wait, it's all the fault of the BLM protests now, right? :)

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Top Golf was jamming the other night. Two hour wait. ;)

Btw- just staying at home doesn't do anything. The minute people go back out to builds right back. Get your Corona and be done with it. Make it a 6 pack.

Thanks protestors too
You enjoy your blood clots and ill wait for the vaccine or 60% of the chuds to have antibodies. I dont miss anything I cant do safely right now.

Only way I see sports happening is if teams basically just go with any infections. I can’t see a 2 week quarantine process working for an infection. Especially with players in such close proximity to one another. How do you know who quarantines? It would have to be a good portion of the team. Not only that but position groups work with one another. What if you had all your QBs come down with it. Would never work.

Several 49ers have tested positive after having workouts in Nashville. And 28 athletes at Clemson have now tested positive (doesnt break it down by sport). I really hope I am wrong, a fall without football would suck, but tough to be optimistic at this point.

I had hoped twe'd get to a place by mid-summer where CFB would return this fall. But despite assurances from the schools themselves that they're gung-ho to proceed this fall, I'm skeptical it will happen given the resurgence we've seen in infection rates thanks to States' relaxing their guidelines.

As I see it, the problem is not the big crowds of fans attending the games as much as it is the number of players involved. The Spring protocol was that if a person was found to be infected, anyone that person came into contact with was contacted and asked to go on a voluntary 14-day quarantine. But think about what that means to a football team. All it will take is one single player on a 100-plus team -- even a 5th string walk-on -- to shut down an entire team from practicing or playing for two weeks.

Unless the protocols that were in place this Spring are changed for the fall, there's no way a large group of young men can survive fall camp and a 12-game season without a single player getting infected by the virus.
There will be 0% of college athletes hospitalized by this

Reactions: Crazyhole
Yes, thank you for proving my point.

I dont know what your point is. IF a team comes down with numerous cases of covid19, then going out and playing against another team, or even continuing to practice is not taking precaution.

There will be 0% of college athletes hospitalized by this

You have no idea if that is true or not. Sure, the vast majority would likely be fine, but the virus has reacted differently in different people. Plenty of athletes have some sort of underlying conditions that might not impact how they play, but could potentially have serious reprecussions from something like this.

My whole point is that with people continuing to poo-poo it ... and ridiculing mask wearing ... and laughing at the MSM pointing out packed beaches in Florida ... and whining about all the precautions --- we've done everything possible in this country to prolong the virus to the point where we're going to be denying everybody college football this fall.

My whole point is that with people continuing to poo-poo it ... and ridiculing mask wearing ... and laughing at the MSM pointing out packed beaches in Florida ... and whining about all the precautions --- we've done everything possible in this country to prolong the virus to the point where we're going to be denying everybody college football this fall.

Yep. I see people like Clay Travis saying because the European leagues have started, that there is no reason we shouldnt have sports. Of course he never acknowledges that a lot of the countries in Europe have taken it seriously and actually wear masks, have had more strengent lockdowns etc. Over here we still have people throwing a fit over wearing a damn mask. We are basically doing this to ourselves at this point.

Interesting you’re still acting like beaches are a spread risk while not mentioning the thousands of people in the streets protesting

ADVERTISEMENT