ADVERTISEMENT

The Popeyes Chicken Sammie Experiment has Failed

Jedi.Knight

Bronze Knight
Apr 21, 2008
Even with all of the hype, pomp and circumstance surrounding the Popeye's chicken sandwich, it appears that the old normal has become the new normal. First of all, I will say ... the Popeye's sandwich is good. I mean, reeaaalllyyy good. Bigger than the CfA sandwich and with an extra layer of crisp and seasoning that makes it unique. In all honesty, it's actually a little better overall.

Now ... with that said, let's discuss the intangibles.

Chick-fil-A is known for world-class customer service. Friendly employees, clean stores and quick service can go a long way in customer satisfaction. At Popeye's, you have to deal with sketchy customers, one person on the register, employees with prison tattoos on their necks, and dirty stores.

Popeye's was lauded as the great white hope, but at the end of the day they just don't have the infrastructure to make a long-term impact. If they had cleaner stores, more people on the register, shorter wait times and less thuggery — both behind and in front of the counter — I would consider going back.

But until that happens (which is never to the third power), I'll stick with what works best.

Even with all of the hype, pomp and circumstance surrounding the Popeye's chicken sandwich, it appears that the old normal has become the new normal. First of all, I will say ... the Popeye's sandwich is good. I mean, reeaaalllyyy good. Bigger than the CfA sandwich and with an extra layer of crisp and seasoning that makes it unique. In all honesty, it's actually a little better overall.

Now ... with that said, let's discuss the intangibles.

Chick-fil-A is known for world-class customer service. Friendly employees, clean stores and quick service can go a long way in customer satisfaction. At Popeye's, you have to deal with sketchy customers, one person on the register, employees with prison tattoos on their necks, and dirty stores.

Popeye's was lauded as the great white hope, but at the end of the day they just don't have the infrastructure to make a long-term impact. If they had cleaner stores, more people on the register, shorter wait times and less thuggery — both behind and in front of the counter — I would consider going back.

But until that happens (which is never to the third power), I'll stick with what works best.

Many fast food restaurants are in the process of a make over. Popeyes could use this opportunity to remodel stores and update the image. Still early but chick fila seems to already have the infrastructure lead on everyone. They are the fastest, cleanest, and best customer service.

i still need to try it. ive avoided the crazy long lines for awhile now. maybe this week ill stop by.

I still say that if they made the spicy sandwich the same way they make their spicy chicken (where they marinate the meat in spices), people would laugh at the CFA sandwich.

You shut your evil mouth! Popeye's makes the greatest chicken sandwich the earth has ever known! It's a gift from God! So what if you have to deal with thuggery? Do you think the best things in life are easy? Sometimes you have to put in a little effort. This is the real NO experience.

Reactions: KingDavid
It's pretty damn good but I've been car 50 in line a CFA and I have my food quicker than person 2 in the popeyes line. Add in how dirty the stores are and I won't go out of my way to eat there.

You shut your evil mouth! Popeye's makes the greatest chicken sandwich the earth has ever known! It's a gift from God! So what if you have to deal with thuggery? Do you think the best things in life are easy? Sometimes you have to put in a little effort. This is the real NO experience.

I'm very nibble. Some things in life are worth getting stabbed over.

Last edited:
Reactions: firm_bizzle
It's pretty damn good but I've been car 50 in line a CFA and I have my food quicker than person 2 in the popeyes line. Add in how dirty the stores are and I won't go out of my way to eat there.

Honestly, knighted and I go to NOLA....a lot...and Popeyes are hospital sanitary clean compared to most of the dives we eat at regularly.

I don't like CFA because you just don't get the colorful personalities behind the counter like you do at Popeyes. I feel more at home with the Pop. Anytime I've been at CFA, I feel like I've done something wrong.

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
UCF = Chick-fil-a
USF = Popeye's

'nuff said.

In high school I worked at both. We don't have a Popeyes close by and they opened a new one in Asheville NC which for me is about 45-50 minutes away. I have tried their sandwich. It's good. However, everyone has pointed out... They have service issue . I can't figure out why they are so slow.

CFA is the third largest fast food operation for a reason . They consistently tick off the important boxes for the consumer, friendly, fast and clean. Their food quality is consistently good. I like Popeyes fried chicken but they are slow, sometimes rude and the store , even the new one in Asheville, is kind of dirty.

Reactions: Jedi.Knight
In high school I worked at both. We don't have a Popeyes close by and they opened a new one in Asheville NC which for me is about 45-50 minutes away. I have tried their sandwich. It's good. However, everyone has pointed out... They have service issue . I can't figure out why they are so slow.

CFA is the third largest fast food operation for a reason . They consistently tick off the important boxes for the consumer, friendly, fast and clean. Their food quality is consistently good. I like Popeyes fried chicken but they are slow, sometimes rude and the store , even the new one in Asheville, is kind of dirty.
And that's my main point. Although the chicken sandwich is really good, there are certain intangibles that go a long way toward customer satisfaction. I mean, Walmart has the lowest prices around but I'd rather have the cleaner stores and friendly service at Publix or Target versus having to walk past a cloud of Walmart employees smoking near the entrance and chicken bones in the parking lot (come on, you know that's a common occurrence) every time I go to Wally World.

And that's my main point. Although the chicken sandwich is really good, there are certain intangibles that go a long way toward customer satisfaction. I mean, Walmart has the lowest prices around but I'd rather have the cleaner stores and friendly service at Publix or Target versus having to walk past a cloud of Walmart employees smoking near the entrance and chicken bones in the parking lot (come on, you know that's a common occurrence) every time I go to Wally World.

I noticed the small neighborhood Wal Mart grocery stores are clean. I've been using the grocery pickup and I don't even go inside. Save probably 20% from Publix without stepping inside a store.

I agree that some of their stores turn into a dump.

had a chick-fil-a spicy sandwich today. going to give the popeyes one a try tomorrow.

Get a regular chick fila sandwich and ask for buffalo sauce. It tastes better. The cooked in chick fila buffalo isn't great to me.

completely forgot to post the follow up

honestly, thye are both really good. i like them both for different reasons. seemed like the piece of meet was bigger than what i get at chickfila but just slightly. i dont like pickles but forgot to ask to remove them. if you like pickles those were some big slices.

i think the slight edge goes to chickfila because the spicy is built into the chicken itself vs a sauce on top. if popeyes did this like they do their regular spicy chicken, popeyes would be the winner. also i like the fact i can get cheese, lettuce, and tomato as spicy deluxe at chickfila

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Chicken sandwich comparison...

Bun: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - a nice brioche bun versus a cheap over-processed hamburger bun
Pickles: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - giant, fresh, crunchy, pickles versus cheap over-processed hamburger pickles
Chicken: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - crispy, crunchy, fried breading versus soft and soggy
Sauce: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - delicious spicy aioli already on the sandwich versus no sauce
Homophobia: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - No gay hate versus gay hate masked by religion
Black Folks: Chik Fil A > Popeyes - Don't have to deal with minorities versus lots of them. Right, bigots?

Trump is like Popeye's chicken sandwich. A very solid loyal following but the BS that you have to go through to deal with isn't for everyone.

Chicken sandwich comparison...

Bun: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - a nice brioche bun versus a cheap over-processed hamburger bun
Pickles: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - giant, fresh, crunchy, pickles versus cheap over-processed hamburger pickles
Chicken: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - crispy, crunchy, fried breading versus soft and soggy
Sauce: Popeyes > Chik Fil A - delicious spicy aioli already on the sandwich versus no sauce
i agree with most of this. except the sauce part.

i like the sauce baked into the sandwich itself vs the sauce on top.

also both sauces are good in their own right.

Very late to the party but just had the Popeyes Spicy Chicken sammy. I have to say I'd pick that over Chik Fil A every time.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
You go against God’s chicken and you get 2020. You happy now?
Popeye’s was always going to lose because it’s only a matter of time until the cancel culture catches up to the racist projections they sell their products with.

Popeye’s was always going to lose because it’s only a matter of time until the cancel culture catches up to the racist projections they sell their products with.

Yeah, but CFA SUPPORTS HOMOPHOBIA!!!!!!!!! That's 200x worse!!!!!!!!

i agree with most of this. except the sauce part.

i like the sauce baked into the sandwich itself vs the sauce on top.

also both sauces are good in their own right.

Honestly, I think Popeye's needs to make their chicken sandwich like they do their spicy fried chicken, marinated. If they did that I can't think of any complaint people would have. It would be no contest.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Yeah, but CFA SUPPORTS HOMOPHOBIA!!!!!!!!! That's 200x worse!!!!!!!!
LOL, my favorite ChickFilA in town has a few gay gentlemen working and I’m always happy to see them. They consistently present the best attitudes of any fast food workers I’ve ever seen.

I could actually see them embracing their marketing strategy even more and making it a black-only restaurant before they succumb to cancel culture. From a business model perspective they would be smart to do so and take advantage of the situation. They know who their base is and who the heck is going to say "that's unfair to white people" at this point?

LOL, my favorite ChickFilA in town has a few gay gentlemen working and I’m always happy to see them. They consistently present the best attitudes of any fast food workers I’ve ever seen.

Mine up the road does as well. When I was in line a few months ago, someone asked one of the managers if he minded working for CFA being a gay man. I was actually impressed when he replied, "I just want to focus on being the best manager I can be and working hard for a company that has been very good to me." Sure, it might have been a canned response, but he seemed pretty genuine and continues to work hard and maintain a great restaurant.

Mine up the road does as well. When I was in line a few months ago, someone asked one of the managers if he minded working for CFA being a gay man. I was actually impressed when he replied, "I just want to focus on being the best manager I can be and working hard for a company that has been very good to me." Sure, it might have been a canned response, but he seemed pretty genuine and continues to work hard and maintain a great restaurant.

It’s almost as if gay people don’t all act and think alike despite what the patsy white straight liberals tell us

ADVERTISEMENT