ADVERTISEMENT

The Star System is a joke....

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
I was just chatting with my Auburn super-fan and joking about how they almost flipped Braeden Marshall.

His response was yea but he is just a 3 star and we flipped 4 stars from other schools instead.

I'm like wha? Not knowing too much about Braeden (but glad he stuck with UCF) I went off and googled his name.

Well is he a 3 star or a 4 star? It seems last week when he may have flipped the articles say he is a 4 star. But, now that he didn't flip he is listed as a 3 Star in their articles.

I understand there are rating systems for players and I get that. But, funny how they fudge those stars any which way they want.

I like Gus' response in the presser yesterday. They study film not stars.

I'm sure recruiting sites do have some good analysis but it cracks me up how the media spins it according to the school they cover.

I was just chatting with my Auburn super-fan and joking about how they almost flipped Braeden Marshall.

His response was yea but he is just a 3 star and we flipped 4 stars from other schools instead.

I'm like wha? Not knowing too much about Braeden (but glad he stuck with UCF) I went off and googled his name.

Well is he a 3 star or a 4 star? It seems last week when he may have flipped the articles say he is a 4 star. But, now that he didn't flip he is listed as a 3 Star in their articles.

I understand there are rating systems for players and I get that. But, funny how they fudge those stars any which way they want.

I like Gus' response in the presser yesterday. They study film not stars.

I'm sure recruiting sites do have some good analysis but it cracks me up how the media spins it according to the school they cover.
Marshall is a 4-star on 247, but a 3-star on the composite rankings. It really doesn't matter unless you care. He is an ELITE football player. That's why he was on flip watch to Auburn on ENSD.

As far as Gus's response, it is a lie. I have followed Gus's recruiting classes for the last 11-12 years. He has never signed a player with no scholarship offers from other FBS programs. (No diamonds in the rough.) He has rarely given a player his first FBS offer. Gus is a star gazer. He signs players who are highly regarded and vetted. He cares a great deal about recruiting rankings as they project a positive perception of his program. At Auburn he would sign overrated players at the end of the signing period to boost his team rankings. Gus genuinely believes stars represent talent regardless of what he says to the contrary.

If you don't believe that, I will post articles written about highly rated guys Gus signed who left the program because they could not play.

Always has been. It's a lot of opinion. Now, I think they probably get a lot of 4-5 star guys correct, not necessarily correct but identified as top-tier talent. Anything from 3-star down I just think they mostly guess. There are too many players to assess.

What matters more, in my mind, are players that lots of schools want.

Marshall is a 4-star on 247, but a 3-star on the composite rankings. It really doesn't matter unless you care. He is an ELITE football player. That's why he was on flip watch to Auburn on ENSD.

As far as Gus's response, it is a lie. I have followed Gus's recruiting classes for the last 11-12 years. He has never signed a player with no scholarship offers from other FBS programs. (No diamonds in the rough.) He has rarely given a player his first FBS offer. Gus is a star gazer. He signs players who are highly regarded and vetted. He cares a great deal about recruiting rankings as they project a positive perception of his program. At Auburn he would sign overrated players at the end of the signing period to boost his team rankings. Gus genuinely believes stars represent talent regardless of what he says to the contrary.

If you don't believe that, I will post articles written about highly rated guys Gus signed who left the program because they could not play.

I think there’s some truth to the perception aspect. Maybe it’s my age showing, but I feel like kids care more about being on a big program and playing with other big time recruits than the school itself…or maybe social media has made it incredibly easy to see who is going where and want to pair up.

Always has been. It's a lot of opinion. Now, I think they probably get a lot of 4-5 star guys correct, not necessarily correct but identified as top-tier talent. Anything from 3-star down I just think they mostly guess. There are too many players to assess.

What matters more, in my mind, are players that lots of schools want.
Correct the high consensus 4* and 5* players usually are who they thought they were. There are a lot of blurry lines though between 5.7 3* (using rivals) and 5.8 4* players.

Auburn fans want to tell us so much 'I told you so' and want Gus to flop.

So far he hasn't and Auburn is on Coach number two since Gus left. But this time Hugh Freeze is the savior. Lets tune in in 3 years and lets see who is on top. UCF or Auburn. I like our chances better.

That article listed above is prime example. Sounded like when I was talking to my Auburn fan friend. Agreed he can recruit but can't develop. *YAWN*...spin baby spin...

In Gus We Trust!

Reactions: Knight_Light
Auburn fans want to tell us so much 'I told you so' and want Gus to flop.

So far he hasn't and Auburn is on Coach number two since Gus left. But this time Hugh Freeze is the savior. Lets tune in in 3 years and lets see who is on top. UCF or Auburn. I like our chances better.

That article listed above is prime example. Sounded like when I was talking to my Auburn fan friend. Agreed he can recruit but can't develop. *YAWN*...spin baby spin...

In Gus We Trust!
So they are the Miami of Alabama? Lol. Wheres that moron lobocane

lobocane is probably trying to purchase Miami Hurricane bowl tickets....oh wait...

Where is Auburn playing for their bowl game...oh wait...

LOL. UCF is still playing football with 15 extra practices as well.

Canes and Tigers, sorry charlie...

lobocane is probably trying to purchase Miami Hurricane bowl tickets....oh wait...

Where is Auburn playing for their bowl game...oh wait...

LOL. UCF is still playing football with 15 extra practices as well.

Canes and Tigers, sorry charlie...
I swear that guy watches the 30 for 30 documentary on the u daily with a gallon of ky jelly and tube socks

That was the same issue with Kevin "24K" Smith. He was moved to a DB position so the coach's son could be the team's RB. Kevin Smith was rated 2 stars for a position he picked up the summer before his senior year. Both UCF and Kevin Smith got lucky because Smith was recruited to play the position he wanted and UCF got lucky because nobody else saw how good he was at RB.

Reactions: Knight_Light
That was the same issue with Kevin "24K" Smith. He was moved to a DB position so the coach's son could be the team's RB. Kevin Smith was rated 2 stars for a position he picked up the summer before his senior year. Both UCF and Kevin Smith got lucky because Smith was recruited to play the position he wanted and UCF got lucky because nobody else saw how good he was at RB.
GOL remembered 24k Junior season tape and even though his dumb hs coach pushed him to DB...GOL recruited him as a RB and the rest is history.

Reactions: rainman614

This is all speculation.

So Gus is just like most of us then. Just getting paid a few million more

Stars have great meaning ....until they don't . Some 4 star guys are a total bust while some 2 star guys play lights out . I keep thinking of the group of guys who made up the 2017 team and how our recruiting classes ranked in the 60s and 70s . Then look at what they accomplished and that team was special . Stars didn't matter then did they ? All of us would love to have that exact team back with it's chemistry and talent and heart .

Stars have great meaning ....until they don't . Some 4 star guys are a total bust while some 2 star guys play lights out . I keep thinking of the group of guys who made up the 2017 team and how our recruiting classes ranked in the 60s and 70s . Then look at what they accomplished and that team was special . Stars didn't matter then did they ? All of us would love to have that exact team back with it's chemistry and talent and heart .
Yep special.....but EXTREMELY rare. The teams with the right high 4 and 5 star guys at the right positions are the ones winning practically all National Championships.

Reactions: U C to the F
Teams that recruit in the 60s and 70s consistently end up last place in their P5 leagues. Why do you think Alabama and Georgia are so good? They consistently out recruit everyone. Sure, you can get lucky with overlooked recruits, but to be consistently on top you need the highly sought after recruits or now work the transfer portal. 3* and low 4* can be a crap shoot but most of the time the higher 4* and 5* are a near guarantee with a slight few Jordan Johnson’s mixed in. And a few Terrence Lewis’ who let their personality get in the way.

Point is stars do matter, don’t understand people saying they don’t. But you still need to find the right talent and the right fits to be successful.

Its always been this way. SEC/B1G recruit= 1 star bump, other P5 0.5 star hike, if you go from P5 to G5 you see immediately they remove these cushions. Helps the powerful stay in power which helps ESPN sell ADs

So next year our "low 4stars" will be higher 4 stars, some for the 3stars and our one 2 star likely bumps up too.

We move from 50 to 38 or something

Reactions: mattropolis
Its always been this way. SEC/B1G recruit= 1 star bump, other P5 0.5 star hike, if you go from P5 to G5 you see immediately they remove these cushions. Helps the powerful stay in power which helps ESPN sell ADs

So next year our "low 4stars" will be higher 4 stars, some for the 3stars and our one 2 star likely bumps up too.

We move from 50 to 38 or something
Correct, theyre just promoting these blue bloods when in reality alot of those 4 stars will not pan out, most of which will be hurricanes

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT