ADVERTISEMENT

This 4-3 defense scheme sucks!

i'll just repost what i said in the game thread:

i never liked the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 because it's much easier to recruit space eater defensive tackles than it is 4-3 defensive ends. and in the 4-3 the 3 technique needs to be able to get after the QB. i just knew we weren't going to be able to generate a pass rush this season with our personnel. there is a reason DE is among the highest paid position groups in the NFL; they are harder to find.

i'll just repost what i said in the game thread:

i never liked the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 because it's much easier to recruit space eater defensive tackles than it is 4-3 defensive ends. and in the 4-3 the 3 technique needs to be able to get after the QB. i just knew we weren't going to be able to generate a pass rush this season with our personnel. there is a reason DE is among the highest paid position groups in the NFL; they are harder to find.
We looked real slow tonight on the line too because of it.
If we had a 3-4, more opportunity to prevent long QB runs.

I agree and this is why we need a LB or safety blitzing on every 3rd down
It was so fun watching AK do this on the Pitt MLB, not so much seeing Titus Davis catch his breath trying to catch Russo.

Last edited:
We have four DEs in this cycle.

To play devil's advocate, we were recruiting for two years for a 3-4, you can't just except to switch to a 4-3 and not skip a beat. New coach, new scheme.

Just to play the other side they did only score 6 second half points

Which begs the question...why does it take 2 quarters for the defense to start playing better. I'm glad that half time adjustments seem to be working on defense but that does not explain the lack of defense in the first half. Poor game planning for 1st half...good adjustments in the 2nd half. How about a complete game guys.

RS is working with what he has, everyone knew it would be a work in progress on D. He is known as a good recruiter, give him a year or 2 to get some of the guys he needs.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Which begs the question...why does it take 2 quarters for the defense to start playing better. I'm glad that half time adjustments seem to be working on defense but that does not explain the lack of defense in the first half. Poor game planning for 1st half...good adjustments in the 2nd half. How about a complete game guys.
honestly with our history of very little "complete" games, i'll take the 2nd half adjustments over great first halves. i remember how i would feel when the 2nd half was flipped on us in the past.

honestly with our history of very little "complete" games, i'll take the 2nd half adjustments over great first halves. i remember how i would feel when the 2nd half was flipped on us in the past.

I remember those days also. I just want a complete game on defense. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
The 4-3 works well if you have fast DLs. Unfortunately, our front 4 are not very quick this year. Additionally, they're running a new scheme, new playbook, new coaches, new technique, and new positions. Assuming the idea is to build the defense around RS, we need to focus on getting quick guys, which are hard to recruit. The old saying is you can't teach speed. Another thing to keep in mind, we have a lot of freshman starting the 2nd team. The latest depth-cart shows 5 of the 11 on the 2nd team are true freshman.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Loss of griffins speed is a big hole in the middle. Temple had 5 wideouts much of the time and the linebackers struggled to cover over the middle. Give them credit for exploiting one of UCFs weeknesses.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The defense lives or dies on some major event like a turnover, sack or penalty. Currently ranked 94th in yards per game 430. The last three games opponents have averaged 552 yards. Expect higher scores through the end of the year, Cincy, USF, and Houston all have solid offensive numbers.

Good tackling and first contact in the opposing teams backfield seem to be the difference. In the first half, we couldn't tackle the RB or QB in the backfield. We weren't getting into the backfield much on running plays.

Going to less DL seems to be opposite of the adjustment they made in the second half. They were getting more pressure on the run with run blitzes in the second half and line stunts. It's difficult to run line stunts with a 3 man line.

He was covering WRs, that's always gonna be a mismatch especially in man coverage.
Burgess-Becker is a good cover person at that LB level. Also, maybe they can stud up Aaron Robinson during off season and get him in that level also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT