ADVERTISEMENT

This Is Not a Normal Season

KnightLife1

Bronze Knight
Feb 5, 2016
Winter Springs, FL
Yes, I am very disappointed in our recent losses. But today I began to come to grips with the fact that the biggest issue that we have in putting a better product on the field this year may actually be the overall strangeness of this season. Every team is not only battling the opposing team, but also the issues presenting by Covid this entire season. For instance:

*We have starters who opted out from the secondary, DLine and key depth from the O-Line. Even our #2 QB who we relied on for a wildcat package in red zone situations is not available to us.

*We are starting several DBs that, who are not only are new to starting, but new to the program;

*No Spring Ball to get new players acclimated;

*Less off-season conditioning, possibly leading to more injuries already this season.

No these aren't excuses, as of course all teams are dealing with these challenges. But they are part of a strange and weird reality for all of college football this year. Basically, I don't think we are seeing the true status of our team. Today we did not see the true status of Memphis' team either. Both teams are actually much better than what we saw today. So who knows what the "real" outcome would have been had both teams been there today with their true makeup. But this year we are seeing a brand of college football that is the best that each team can do under the circumstances. And for most every team, Top 25 or otherwise, it tends to be a knock-off of a team's true current ability and identity.

Sure, we have seen issues on the field that have nothing to do with Covid. There's no excuse for some execution and other deficiencies that can be fixed currently. But as we judge/consider where we are as a program. Let's consider how much of the problem is who is not on the field due to opt outs, or is still limited due to being new to a roster that had no spring ball or conditioning, or other unique issues this year.

Let's also consider how good we actually can be when we get our "full" roster back, along with our transfers, and have time to practice and condition normally. No I don't expect that will make us a perfect team. But it will make us a team that most likely has a lot less issues to fix than what we are seeing now.

So who knows what the "real" outcome would have been had both teams been there today with their true makeup.
The "real" outcome is we lost our second game and are 2-2. The "real" outcome is Memphis beat us for the first time since I was 8 years old. Yeah I know covid has everything turned upside down. Yet we still sit at 2 losses currently and that's reality.

Now next year, with DG having another year of experience, plus secondary help on the way, watch out. He's already a confident player and yesterday's results will only boost his confidence more. He and our our young receivers are the silver lining for me.

Yes, I am very disappointed in our recent losses. But today I began to come to grips with the fact that the biggest issue that we have in putting a better product on the field this year may actually be the overall strangeness of this season. Every team is not only battling the opposing team, but also the issues presenting by Covid this entire season. For instance:

*We have starters who opted out from the secondary, DLine and key depth from the O-Line. Even our #2 QB who we relied on for a wildcat package in red zone situations is not available to us.

*We are starting several DBs that, who are not only are new to starting, but new to the program;

*No Spring Ball to get new players acclimated;

*Less off-season conditioning, possibly leading to more injuries already this season.

No these aren't excuses, as of course all teams are dealing with these challenges. But they are part of a strange and weird reality for all of college football this year. Basically, I don't think we are seeing the true status of our team. Today we did not see the true status of Memphis' team either. Both teams are actually much better than what we saw today. So who knows what the "real" outcome would have been had both teams been there today with their true makeup. But this year we are seeing a brand of college football that is the best that each team can do under the circumstances. And for most every team, Top 25 or otherwise, it tends to be a knock-off of a team's true current ability and identity.

Sure, we have seen issues on the field that have nothing to do with Covid. There's no excuse for some execution and other deficiencies that can be fixed currently. But as we judge/consider where we are as a program. Let's consider how much of the problem is who is not on the field due to opt outs, or is still limited due to being new to a roster that had no spring ball or conditioning, or other unique issues this year.

Let's also consider how good we actually can be when we get our "full" roster back, along with our transfers, and have time to practice and condition normally. No I don't expect that will make us a perfect team. But it will make us a team that most likely has a lot less issues to fix than what we are seeing now.
Thank You for some Sunday perspective...Char

Now next year, with DG having another year of experience, plus secondary help on the way, watch out. He's already a confident player and yesterday's results will only boost his confidence more. He and our our young receivers are the silver lining for me.

And that is the heart of the problem, right there. It is October 18th and we are already talking about next year. All the goals we had for this year are shot. We are just playing out the string.

And that is the heart of the problem, right there. It is October 18th and we are already talking about next year. All the goals we had for this year are shot. We are just playing out the string.

My motto for every season is “just beat USF”. Everything else is gravy. Very frustrating gravy at times, but still gravy :D

Reactions: RunawayKnight
UCF had our head football coach in Scott Frost. Too bad Dr. John Hitt(UCF President) did not have the money to authorize a substantial pay raise for Frost. Yes, UCF would have lost games under Frost coaching as well, however I believe the Knights would maintain their discipline. Right now, discipline is out the window with Heupel at the helm of this boat. Scott Frost also had a brief career in the NFL and he has a lot of NFL contacts. NFL experience helps in gaining the respect of the players.

UCF had our head football coach in Scott Frost. Too bad Dr. John Hitt(UCF President) did not have the money to authorize a substantial pay raise for Frost. Yes, UCF would have lost games under Frost coaching as well, however I believe the Knights would maintain their discipline. Right now, discipline is out the window with Heupel at the helm of this boat. Scott Frost also had a brief career in the NFL and he has a lot of NFL contacts. NFL experience helps in gaining the respect of the players.
How is his discipline working out in Nebraska? The fact is he had a group of super-talented, hungry kids who had one of the worst seasons of football one could ever watch, and didn’t want to ever experience that again. That 2017 team put 7 guys on NFL active rosters the next NFL season.

Oh yeah, his super-disciplined Nebraska teams have gone 9-15 so far.

Last edited:
Appreciate the OP's thoughts but it's just an excuse especially for Randy Shannon. 746 yards by Memphis....come on! The penalties against Tulsa at home.....just excuses. Good coaches and good teams don't do this.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Yes, I've decided to stop posting for the rest of season because its an unusual season and its obvious we're not going to get the breaks this year which is part of having a magical season. The game this weekend is actually the 5th game which is traditionally at the start of the team's conference play. With all going on this season, it certainly would have helped us out in those areas of play where weaknesses were on display such as OL play (penalties), LB play (lack of tackles to stop big running plays) and DB breakdowns (allowing too many big pass plays in drives).

Will UCF stop the bleeding now that a total reset with the loss at home and to Memphis has occurred and win out? I'll just sit back and watch the season. Also, no need to take any major chances with KZ's recovery at this point.

Go Knights! Get back on that winning track to get momentum going for 2021.

Reactions: mattropolis
end of the day somebody is going to win out regardless of these problems, we are dropping games we shouldn't drop. had we won nobody here would be making excuses for the other team we would just say that we were better. I hear the same thing from fans of my NFL team, when we lose its because there was no preseason and they are rebuilding but when we win..

Reactions: Knight Strength
The "real" outcome is we lost our second game and are 2-2. The "real" outcome is Memphis beat us for the first time since I was 8 years old. Yeah I know covid has everything turned upside down. Yet we still sit at 2 losses currently and that's reality.

You are talking about what is real in terms of the past as affected by the circumstances of a pandemic and the resulting national disaster. My post is moreso about what is our real potential when unfettered by those debilitating conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT