ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
I hate 2:30 p.m. home kickoffs. Same game time as Baylor debacle last year.

I didn't like that so many UCF fans sold their tickets to Colorado fans, either.

Not saying either factor affected the outcome.

UCF left too many points on field on the field for the second game in a row.

UCF simply is not built to come from behind against high-powered passing offenses.

The Knights needed a miracle to beat TCU trailing big late. They must 'stay on track' to win consistently n the Big 12. UCF has to come away with points in the red zone.

UCF could not run the ball consistently between the tackles. That's disastrous for Gus's offense.

UCF tried to get too cute on defense early with the front 7.

Colorado found a running game and wasn't one dimensional. UCF adjusted in the second half, but it was too little, too late.

Colorado's defensive ends had incredible games.

Shedeur Sanders is a future NFL quarterback and was still the second best player on the field.

The No. 1 factor that stuck out to me is Colorado had profoundly more speed at the skill positions than UCF.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattropolis
Our WR group right now is sub-par. After Kobe there’s nothing else so far (through 3 games):
Kobe = 13 catches, 310 yds, 2 TDs
Pittman = 6 catches, 95 yds
Townsend = 6 catches, 18 yds
…and most of Townsends “catches” were probably tosses on jet sweeps.

We had two games against schlubs to find some passing rhythm and didn’t even try. Short-sighted in my opinion.

The entire coaching staff and roster was not motivated to play this Saturday afternoon. It's difficult for me to believe KJ Jefferson played in the SEC. I'm not calling out Jefferson specifically, however I believe the game was lost after he threw the INT ending the Knights first possession of the game.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
The entire coaching staff and roster was not motivated to play this Saturday afternoon. It's difficult for me to believe KJ Jefferson played in the SEC. I'm not calling out Jefferson specifically, however I believe the game was lost after he threw the INT ending the Knights first possession of the game.
Disagree in the motivation part. I thought they played hard. Blame scheme or talent but they fought IMO until the end. They wanted this game, just lost.

I will add one more note.

An announcer kept gushing about how deep Colorado was on the defensive line toward the end of the contest. UCF needs John Walker and Marcus Downs to make full recoveries sooner rather than later. The Knights depth is starting to show.

I will add one more note.

An announcer kept gushing about how deep Colorado was on the defensive line toward the end of the contest. UCF needs John Walker and Marcus Downs to make full recoveries sooner rather than later. The Knights depth is starting to show.
The UCF OL is terrible…they ain’t cutting it against P4 competition. The UCF WR room has one guy that’s a P4 player…one. UCF gets zero pressure on the QB…none. It’s all on clueless old head Malzone.

"however I believe the game was lost after he threw the INT ending the Knights first possession of the game."

Ditto. I was saying the same thing at that point. right before I was yelling DO NOT PASS THE BALL....then they passed the ball and it was picked off. The guy was completely covered. Why throw into coverage? I went OCD on that the rest of the game and even at the end, my friend I was with finally agreed with me. :p

The Pregame and Tailgatin' was super fun though. The game not so much. I had more Colorado fans around me than UCF. But, it was difficult to tell who was who with both teams Black and Gold. Colorado fans were fun though. They enjoyed the game. *bastards*

"however I believe the game was lost after he threw the INT ending the Knights first possession of the game."

Ditto. I was saying the same thing at that point. right before I was yelling DO NOT PASS THE BALL....then they passed the ball and it was picked off. The guy was completely covered. Why throw into coverage? I went OCD on that the rest of the game and even at the end, my friend I was with finally agreed with me. :p

The Pregame and Tailgatin' was super fun though. The game not so much. I had more Colorado fans around me than UCF. But, it was difficult to tell who was who with both teams Black and Gold. Colorado fans were fun though. They enjoyed the game. *bastards*
Had Johnny Richardson run the right way on the quick toss on second down, a third down pass would not have been needed.

Had Johnny Richardson run the right way on the quick toss on second down, a third down pass would not have been needed.
UCF has a very bad OL…those padded running stats are meaningless. Boys can’t pass, protect the passer or rush the passer. I schooled you on this over the Summer.

UCF has a very bad OL…those padded running stats are meaningless. Boys can’t pass, protect the passer or rush the passer. I schooled you on this over the Summer.

I did not post anything negative about UCF's offensive line. I said the "Colorado's defensive ends had incredible games." That wasn't a shot at the UCF OL. Colorado's DEs played fundamentally sound football. I remember one play where the DE was the read man (meaning he was purposely and intentionally unblocked). He squeezed the LOS, met the QB-RB exchange at the mesh point, and made a TFL. That's coaching and textbook play. It takes a great degree of discipline, with all the eye candy, to do that against a Gus Malzahn offense.

And of course, Colorado had sacks. UCF was in obvious passing situations in the second half. Can't really blame that on the Oline--unless you blame them for not opening more holes in the running game in the first half.

Bottom Line: The offensive line did not lose that game.

On the other hand, I said the u has a very, very thin offensive line. Any significant injuries or time missed by starters will be devastating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT