ADVERTISEMENT

Timmy McClain

Ace of Knights

Silver Knight
Sep 6, 2009
I know everybody thinks Tommy, but I think I’m more excited about Timmy. He actually had USF competitive at the end of his time there, he’ll have had a whole year with our scout team to learn the system, and he’s got at least three years of eligibility left.

Unlike JRP, Timmy we’ll be playing in spring camp. It had better be a true open competition before next season because just like this year Timmy and Tommy won’t stick around if it’s not.

I know everybody thinks Tommy, but I think I’m more excited about Timmy. He actually had USF competitive at the end of his time there, he’ll have had a whole year with our scout team to learn the system, and he’s got at least three years of eligibility left.

Unlike JRP, Timmy we’ll be playing in spring camp. It had better be a true open competition before next season because just like this year Timmy and Tommy won’t stick around if it’s not.
I agree ACE. The kid is an athlete!!! Can't wait to see how he can help us. A bit older, stronger, wiser!

Reactions: FoxKnight
I will be nervous about what he might do if he doesn’t win the job. He and TC will have 3 years left and McClain should have a better grasp of playing the position.

This is why we should have played a clipboard guy instead of wasting TC’s redshirt. With JP hurt, we weren’t going to win that game anyway.

I will be nervous about what he might do if he doesn’t win the job. He and TC will have 3 years left and McClain should have a better grasp of playing the position.

This is why we should have played a clipboard guy instead of wasting TC’s redshirt. With JP hurt, we weren’t going to win that game anyway.
TC sacrificed his redshirt to try and help the team

TC sacrificed his redshirt to try and help the team
Of course what young freshman itching to play wouldn’t. The coaches who see him in practice should have known he wasn’t ready and should have never put him in this position.

I think everyone had this impression that JRP was a one year stop gap. Timmy didn’t transfer here and spend the year with the scout team to sit behind a guy who won’t even be at spring practice.

Reactions: Yaes
McClain has the most upside, he has experience, offers long-term continuity, and a local product. If he does win the job, Castellanos does have to go unless he envisions his ceiling of being a Quadry Jones. We have seen that Gus has no issue sticking with starters even through injury.

If Plumlee and McClain is 1a and 1b, it would be shortsighted for Plumlee to be named the starter.

I also think if there was a division in the locker room for Plumlee and Keene, its going to happen again and likely be more apparent with Plumlee not being available for Spring.

McClain has the most upside, he has experience, offers long-term continuity, and a local product. If he does win the job, Castellanos does have to go unless he envisions his ceiling of being a Quadry Jones.

If Plumlee and McClain is 1a and 1b, it would be shortsighted for Plumlee to be named the starter.

I also think if there was a division in the locker room for Plumlee and Keene, its going to happen again and likely be more apparent with Plumlee not being available for Spring.
I would hope either McClain or TC wins the job. JP winning it would stunt the development of both guys. Sure wish TC had the benefit of another year as he could be patient for a year and still have 3 left.

I really don’t think there were two “camps”…..I think the fans invented all that.

McClain has more experience, but more upside? Who knows….

Reactions: ReturnOf
McClain has the most upside, he has experience, offers long-term continuity, and a local product. If he does win the job, Castellanos does have to go unless he envisions his ceiling of being a Quadry Jones. We have seen that Gus has no issue sticking with starters even through injury.

Yep. If we’re kind of already expecting to struggle with the P-5 transition, I think you play a guy who will be around for a couple of years.

Someone needs to find the tape of him vs the Cinci Defense last year who had NFL DBs and compare it to how Keene looked as a true freshman

Our fanbase seems biased toward Tommy but Timmy may be better
As a true freshman he had a garbage USF team within striking distance of winning each of their final games of last season. Took us right down to the wire.

USF really crapped the bed when they brought in Bohanon on booster money to the detriment of a young player.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Then he’s as good as gone. Why would he stick around when he expected this year to be his red-shirt year only for it to be burned in a half baked desperate decision?
How the heck do you know what he's thinking or what's been promised him?

I'm not totally writing off McClain, but it's pretty sad we're touting a guy who couldn't hack it for USF and had to transfer as our best option going forward.

Reactions: PhDee

Based on what?

Man, people on this board love spouting pure speculation as if it were fact.

I'm a fan of both Timmy and Tommy. I think I actually prefer Timmy over JRP next year. I really hope we can have legit competition in the offseason, and the best player lead. We need a new identity in 2023 and JRP ain't it. He should be backup to Timmy next year and TC should redshirt. I always thought Timmy did great at usf, and yes he's a local + usf turncoat. I like everything about him.

Based on what?

Man, people on this board love spouting pure speculation as if it were fact.
Didn't say it was a fact, said if there was.

As for next year, if my college career and possible future NFL career is dependent on improving and my QB and leader of the team is playing baseball instead, I would have a problem with that.

Reactions: Yaes
How the heck do you know what he's thinking or what's been promised him?

I'm not totally writing off McClain, but it's pretty sad we're touting a guy who couldn't hack it for USF and had to transfer as our best option going forward.
It’s not that he couldn’t hack it, he was replaced by USF boosters that paid Bohanon a bunch of NIL money to transfer in and was guaranteed the starting job. Multiple sources have said there was no chance even for competition for McClain, and Jeff Scott already on thin ice went along with it.

Of course what young freshman itching to play wouldn’t. The coaches who see him in practice should have known he wasn’t ready and should have never put him in this position.

I think everyone had this impression that JRP was a one year stop gap. Timmy didn’t transfer here and spend the year with the scout team to sit behind a guy who won’t even be at spring practice.
This.

And for the record...I like TC. I like JRP. I like Keene.

ALL have proven their loyalty and heart to this 2022 team. I like each and every one of them. My beef is with the coaches. Bad overall strategy and could not successfully adapt to challenges mid-to-late season. This is on Gus, T-Will, and Chip Lindsey.

I count two good moves by Gus this year. Sacking Obarski and starting Mikey in the Memphis game. That's it, two. And plenty of bad moves, especially being reactive on most of his moves, the biggest offender being bad QB management towards the end of the season and putting QB3 in a position to lose his redshirt which he did. Very bad offense, Gus. I was neutral/positive on him the majority of the season until the last few games.

I’ll be honest, I’m surprised he isn’t in the portal yet. I thought he’d be one of the first names in, and I thought his year here was to live at home, run the scout team, and reset for a transfer. Still something to keep an eye on, but that seems less likely now.

I’m glad we have options
Well done, this is best and most logical response I’ve read.

Can you all not do this again? All I read on this site all summer was how Keene was never going to get stronger, never going to throw with more velo, never going to improve, etc. (even though he was a true freshmen last season). Rubbish, honestly pushed me away from reading through here that often. 99% of you had never seen JRP play ever, but we’re absolutely certain he was better than Keene.

Fast forward to this year, and some of the same people that called Keene ‘noodle arm, Mr. Rollout and throw it to the sideline’ etc, were the same ones calling for him to take over the team.

Now we’re doing it again!? In December!? Who has upside, who has a ceiling, who should start, who should transfer…

I couldn’t care less who it will be nine months from now, I trust the coaches. I don’t get to see players lead in the off-season, work in the weight room, throw during Indy, throw during ROA, throw 1-on-1’s, rep during team at practice. So I don’t have an opinion…

But I like the comment “glad we have options”.

I’ll be honest, I’m surprised he isn’t in the portal yet. I thought he’d be one of the first names in, and I thought his year here was to live at home, run the scout team, and reset for a transfer. Still something to keep an eye on, but that seems less likely now.
If he transfers he has to sit out.

Reactions: UCFloridaTech

QB1 will be JRP with his 2nd year in the system QB2 is Timmy McClain experienced starter with good size and speed and a cannon arm. Timmy and Bowman destroyed our 1st team defense running scout team. Timmy still needs to learn the offensive playbook … will be a great competition but don’t see how JRP isn’t QB1. TC will probably red short next year

QB1 will be JRP with his 2nd year in the system QB2 is Timmy McClain experienced starter with good size and speed and a cannon arm. Timmy and Bowman destroyed our 1st team defense running scout team. Timmy still needs to learn the offensive playbook … will be a great competition but don’t see how JRP isn’t QB1. TC will probably red short next year
After this year it doesn't look like destroying our 1st team defense is that hard to do.

Well done, this is best and most logical response I’ve read.

Can you all not do this again? All I read on this site all summer was how Keene was never going to get stronger, never going to throw with more velo, never going to improve, etc. (even though he was a true freshmen last season). Rubbish, honestly pushed me away from reading through here that often. 99% of you had never seen JRP play ever, but we’re absolutely certain he was better than Keene.

Fast forward to this year, and some of the same people that called Keene ‘noodle arm, Mr. Rollout and throw it to the sideline’ etc, were the same ones calling for him to take over the team.

Now we’re doing it again!? In December!? Who has upside, who has a ceiling, who should start, who should transfer…

I couldn’t care less who it will be nine months from now, I trust the coaches. I don’t get to see players lead in the off-season, work in the weight room, throw during Indy, throw during ROA, throw 1-on-1’s, rep during team at practice. So I don’t have an opinion…

But I like the comment “glad we have options”.
Well stated. Thank you.

JRP missing spring ball to play baseball gives these other guys an opening. Should see some growth all around.

ADVERTISEMENT