ADVERTISEMENT

Trap Game: Pitt and/or Uconn

The Knightman Cometh

Bronze Knight
Oct 31, 2012
Washington, DC
Take this week a grain of salt, but we're coming off a "big time" game, a lot of hype and respect surrounding us, and everyone's high on DG. Pitt hasn't done all that much to impress (yes they had a good game but didn't win it), and Uconn is Uconn. Hope we don't let our guard down and continue going "1-0" - I say this a little more with Uconn as we're traveling to Pitt and they're still a "P5" so we might still take it seriously.

Reactions: B R Knightz2
Take this week a grain of salt, but we're coming off a "big time" game, a lot of hype and respect surrounding us, and everyone's high on DG. Pitt hasn't done all that much to impress (yes they had a good game but didn't win it), and Uconn is Uconn. Hope we don't let our guard down and continue going "1-0" - I say this a little more with Uconn as we're traveling to Pitt and they're still a "P5" so we might still take it seriously.

Based upon the definition(s) of a trap game NO WAY.........there is no freakin way that we "don't prepare adequately for a formidable opponent" and it certainly is not "a game that is played against a seemingly lesser opponent before a big game". Listen to CJH.....we go 1-0 each and every week, same preparation and attitude, every single week.....

Scouting report on PITT. We'll be ready to play. No trap and their corners are going to have their hands full.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/09/ucf-vs-pitt-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019
My score prediction was going to be pretty similar

We haven’t had to play in a 4th quarter all year, so who knows what we can do if we actually have to. We could put 21 on a tired Pittsburgh defense in a close game going into the 4th

We haven’t been tested

Reactions: dali drama
ECU feels like a trap game to me, regardless of recent results. New head coach Mike Houston is a proven winner from FCS powerhouse James Madison. They have good players who under performed last year, but still hung 41 points on Memphis in a losing effort. Hopefully the new scheme doesn't start to click before we play them.

College Football TV Ratings

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Pretty good numbers considering we where playing opposite Alabama. Beat out Georgia, Auburn, and Texas A&M.

Well I guess there is a slim chance..........

:joy::joy::joy:

9gzsf7.png

6rb6NG.png

Idk, we lost to another FCS team at home not that long ago...

YOU DON'T KNOW? I do know........Given the quantum leap this program has made since then that might as well have been in another century.............

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Guys. There is no possible way that we are losing to ECU or UConn at home

None. 0.00000000% chance

Please pick another game
My definition of a trap game is one nobody expects to lose, or even be competitive. To me ECU, Tulsa, & UConn are the only ones that fit that category. Of the three ECU was the only one who racked up 406 passing yards on us with the same QB as this year. ECU's four lost fumbles decided the game. UCF should win, but it could be competitive if they start clicking with their new system.

Last edited:
My definition of a trap game is one nobody expects to lose, or even be competitive. To me ECU, Tulsa, & UConn are the only ones that fit that category. Of the three ECU was the only one who racked up 406 passing yards on us with the same QB as this year. ECU's four lost fumbles decided the game. UCF will win, but it could be competitive if they start clicking with the new system.
Yes, but it has to be in the universe IMO

I can’t say that a mid-level FCS game is a trap game and those teams are nearly at that level

My definition of a trap game is one nobody expects to lose, or even be competitive. To me ECU, Tulsa, & UConn are the only ones that fit that category. Of the three ECU was the only one who racked up 406 passing yards on us with the same QB as this year. ECU's four lost fumbles decided the game. UCF should win, but it could be competitive if they start clicking with the new system.
Trap game to me is being sandwiched in between 2 games that are more important. 2 top ranked teams and or a rival. Have to plan for first game and then think ahead to next opponent.

Trap game to me is being sandwiched in between 2 games that are more important. 2 top ranked teams and or a rival. Have to plan for first game and then think ahead to next opponent.
Then ECU could be considered a trap sandwiched between Cincinnati and Temple. Maybe the two best teams left on the schedule having beaten two P5 programs, one ranked. Not expecting any let down for any game with Heupel at the helm.

We will see if the improved Tulane threat is real since they are playing Houston on Thursday, a known top tier team in our conference.

Three games into the season, Houston is dead last in scoring and middle of the conference in defense, top tier remains to be seen.........

YOU DON'T KNOW? I do know........Given the quantum leap this program has made since then that might as well have been in another century.............

Come on? Are you serious?
That team wasn’t even in the same UNIVERSE as this team

Are you that superstitious?

Sorry, forgot my *. The point was more so that those teams are practically FCS right now, more so than we should contemplate either as a tough game.

I think our “hardest” games will be @ pitt, @ temple, @ tulane, and @ Cincy (in that order).

Pitt was a run first team last year. This year they throw the ball a lot (43times/game). However they are only averaging 14.6 pts/game. There will be a lot of throwing in this game which means lots of possessions. I don't see how they win playing this way unless their QB throws for 400+ yards.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Time to find the Civil Conflict trophy, they may fold up shop for football, then we would have it forever!

Will sell on ebay for $10K in forty years, but it has to b the *real* one, not that replica they were shopping round while back. :eek:

Three games into the season, Houston is dead last in scoring and middle of the conference in defense, top tier remains to be seen.........

Not sure where your getting your stats from but Houston averages about 30 pts/game. This with playing two tough teams and one cupcake, the opposite of Tulane. I agree there defense has fallen off considerably but more games need to be played before a determination can be made. That’s why I think the Thursday matchup is good test to see where they both stand.

Not sure where your getting your stats from but Houston averages about 30 pts/game. This with playing two tough teams and one cupcake, the opposite of Tulane. I agree there defense has fallen off considerably but more games need to be played before a determination can be made. That’s why I think the Thursday matchup is good test to see where they both stand.

Maybe I'm dyslexic, I flipped the stats but the point still stands.......dead last in defense, mid pack in offense through 3 games........so far they are unimpressive........

zyN89q.png

6etp54.png

Pitt was a run first team last year. This year they throw the ball a lot (43times/game). However they are only averaging 14.6 pts/game. There will be a lot of throwing in this game which means lots of possessions. I don't see how they win playing this way unless their QB throws for 400+ yards.
Pittsburgh cannot run the ball ans their passing yardage per attempt is probably one of the worst in the FBS without looking it up

The offense is putrid. FAU has a better offense. Stanford for sure

Pittsburgh cannot run the ball ans their passing yardage per attempt is probably one of the worst in the FBS without looking it up

The offense is putrid. FAU has a better offense. Stanford for sure

Yup.......90th at 6.8 YPA

ADVERTISEMENT