ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective 3

KnighttimeJoe

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
debuts tomorrow. Looks decent. You going to watch @UCFKnight85 ?

Anything would be better than the last one—hard to top the first. But I like the lead actor and the reviews have been a shit ton better.

HBO needs a shot in the arm. I haven’t watched anything except movies on it for the past year. GOT is coming soon but that’s it.

Last edited:
Yep I’m watching. I went to record it and it seems like there’s two episodes tonight and 2 hours worth.

This series should be good simply because we have one character to develop and care about. Not 4 different story arcs like they tried last time (with Vaughn hilariously playing a tough guy). It helps that Ali is a really good actor too. I really though this series was done after the season 2 total disaster. The shame is that I watched the entire way through thinking it’d get real good at some point and it never did

Agreed about HBO. I can’t rememebr the last series I watched on it- maybe Silicon Valley? It should be pretty good this year with TD3, GOT, and a new Watchmen series launching. I tried The Deuce but it was really terrible.

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
Episode 1 was awesome. Already a redemption from the shit season 2

I’m recording Ep 2 and will watch tomorrow

Also, they announced just before TD that GOT is returning April 14th. Finally.

After a frigging 18 month hiatus since the last season ended

Reactions: UCFWayne
Also, they announced just before TD that GOT is returning April 14th. Finally.

After a frigging 18 month hiatus since the last season ended
Well, they did basically film 6 movies in those 18 months. Each with triple the budget of any previous episode. So it should be worth the wait.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Well, they did basically film 6 movies in those 18 months. Each with triple the budget of any previous episode. So it should be worth the wait.

It'd better be. I liked last season but still felt it had too much filler and things have remained too rosey. No major character has died in a long time.

Yep this season is awesome

This is the real season 2. I have erased the last tragedy from memory

It's really good. Stephen Dorff (Roland) has been almost as great as Woody was in season one.

I don't entirely blame Pizzolatto for season 2. HBO wanted him to drop something a year after the monumental success of season one, which took him like 10 years to bring to fruition. And he did it all by himself. This season, he has a team of writers and people who can input on what's going right and wrong, and it shows.

I typically watch the post-episode interviews that he gives and it tells a lot about the episodes.

It's really good. Stephen Dorff (Roland) has been almost as great as Woody was in season one.

I don't entirely blame Pizzolatto for season 2. HBO wanted him to drop something a year after the monumental success of season one, which took him like 10 years to bring to fruition. And he did it all by himself. This season, he has a team of writers and people who can input on what's going right and wrong, and it shows.

I typically watch the post-episode interviews that he gives and it tells a lot about the episodes.

Stephen Dorff is awesome. I think he's actually been better than WH so far but no one can match MM's performance in Season 1.

I thought using 3 different time periods at the same time could be messy and confusing but it's been used really well so far. You get subtle clues and notes about people or events that tie in throughout all of the time periods.

I'm just going to wildly guess that the wife is more involved than we think. Got a bit too close for her book and is now entangled.

So what does everyone think? I thought the ending was a little anti-climatic. A lot of build to a meh reveal. Both leads were really good in their roles. Disappointed we never found out about the wife more, unless I missed it.

I’ve been away for 2.5 weeks so I am going to binge those I missed later this week once bakc

I will give HBO credit for what they've put out this year:

So, TD 3 season ending was good. Not great as TD 1, but I would definitely watch the whole thing again because the acting was outstanding.

Now I am watching the documentary on Adnan Syed. HBO did a series that was loosely based on this story called Night Of.

I highly recommend the HBO documentary on Nick Buoniconti. If you are a Dolphin fan you should watch it since he kind of represents a major figure in the history of that franchise.

Have not watched the Michael Jackson documentary yet. But I have heard good things about it.

One last thing: did you all know that voice of the HBO Sports Documentaries is Liev Schreiber? Had no clue until I looked it up.

I will give HBO credit for what they've put out this year:

So, TD 3 season ending was good. Not great as TD 1, but I would definitely watch the whole thing again because the acting was outstanding.

Now I am watching the documentary on Adnan Syed. HBO did a series that was loosely based on this story called Night Of.

I highly recommend the HBO documentary on Nick Buoniconti. If you are a Dolphin fan you should watch it since he kind of represents a major figure in the history of that franchise.

Have not watched the Michael Jackson documentary yet. But I have heard good things about it.

One last thing: did you all know that voice of the HBO Sports Documentaries is Liev Schreiber? Had no clue until I looked it up.

I thought TD3 ending was good but at the same time, some things didn't sit well. Like, the 1 eyed guy just spills the entire actual story all in one sitting, in a few minutes, that renders the entire suspense and mystery behind this season obsolete? That just seemed way too easy to me.

Then there's the dead wife's ghost piecing together the childhood crush story which leads to him understanding that she's with him and the nuns covered for her. It was explained that this is really just his own mind piecing things together and the ghost is just a vision he has. But, he never met the kid and didn't know he had a crush on her. So if she's not actually a ghost, how the hell would he know that?

I duno. The acting was awesome. Dorff should get some type of award for his role in this show - i thought he was better than Ali a lot. TD3 was definitely far better than the shit show known as TD2, but in the end I think it still came up way short of matching the TD1 greatness.

I thought TD3 ending was good but at the same time, some things didn't sit well. Like, the 1 eyed guy just spills the entire actual story all in one sitting, in a few minutes, that renders the entire suspense and mystery behind this season obsolete? That just seemed way too easy to me.

Then there's the dead wife's ghost piecing together the childhood crush story which leads to him understanding that she's with him and the nuns covered for her. It was explained that this is really just his own mind piecing things together and the ghost is just a vision he has. But, he never met the kid and didn't know he had a crush on her. So if she's not actually a ghost, how the hell would he know that?

I duno. The acting was awesome. Dorff should get some type of award for his role in this show - i thought he was better than Ali a lot. TD3 was definitely far better than the shit show known as TD2, but in the end I think it still came up way short of matching the TD1 greatness.

Yeah, like I said, it was good and not great. I felt the same way about the plot holes. I guess the writers were trying to play on his dementia and the narrative that developed through his diminishing memory and all.

Watch the documentaries.

Yeah, like I said, it was good and not great. I felt the same way about the plot holes. I guess the writers were trying to play on his dementia and the narrative that developed through his diminishing memory and all.

Watch the documentaries.

I was going to watch the MJ doc last night but got sidetracked. I've read that all the MJ fanboys are up in arms since this doc points out what a child molesting creep he actually was.

TBH I'm in count down mode until Game of Thrones is back in April. I'll probably plow through Ozark Season 2 til then and try to finally finish S3 of The Expanse.

I was going to watch the MJ doc last night but got sidetracked. I've read that all the MJ fanboys are up in arms since this doc points out what a child molesting creep he actually was.

TBH I'm in count down mode until Game of Thrones is back in April. I'll probably plow through Ozark Season 2 til then and try to finally finish S3 of The Expanse.

Ozark 2 is great. Really well done. I am on the Bodyguard right now.

Yeah, I think he's said "ma'am" only 5 million times in the first 4 episodes [roll][roll][roll][roll]

Every time the Home Secretary looks at him he must say m'am.

If you like dark shows with Brits in them, check out The Fall on Netflix too. It's got like 3-4 seasons and it's pretty awesome, although a slow burn. Plus it's got Gillian Anderson in it which is a big plus.

ADVERTISEMENT