ADVERTISEMENT

Trump cancels student debt for disabled vets

This sounds great (other than the obligatory "how do we pay for it?"). If my math is correct - and from the article you linked - this affects 25,000 veterans who owe $30,000 each. So, roughly $750,000,000.

I'm not an expert (or even a novice) in these matters, and there are many on here who have the experience, so my question is how does this differ from the G.I. Bill? Or, shouldn't these folks have qualified for the G.I. Bill in the first place? In other words, how does a service member wind up with student loan debt outside of the G.I. Bill? Is it that they went over the allowable max?

This sounds great (other than the obligatory "how do we pay for it?"). If my math is correct - and from the article you linked - this affects 25,000 veterans who owe $30,000 each. So, roughly $750,000,000.

I'm not an expert (or even a novice) in these matters, and there are many on here who have the experience, so my question is how does this differ from the G.I. Bill? Or, shouldn't these folks have qualified for the G.I. Bill in the first place? In other words, how does a service member wind up with student loan debt outside of the G.I. Bill? Is it that they went over the allowable max?
The G.I. BIll covers tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, and a $1000 stipend per year for books and supplies. I'm guessing that it may be harder for disabled vets to hold a job and go to school full time than a non-disabled person. So it makes sense that they may take out loans. Also, depending on disability, the vets may need to pay for other services to help them with school.

Of course, some of them probably took out loans because they could and not because they needed them. But I don't think many will be worried about sweeping them up in the net with the others.

https://www.military.com/education/...t=The Post-9/11 GI,use for books and supplies.

The G.I. BIll covers tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, and a $1000 stipend per year for books and supplies. I'm guessing that it may be harder for disabled vets to hold a job and go to school full time than a non-disabled person. So it makes sense that they may take out loans. Also, depending on disability, the vets may need to pay for other services to help them with school.

Of course, some of them probably took out loans because they could and not because they needed them. But I don't think many will be worried about sweeping them up in the net with the others.

https://www.military.com/education/gi-bill/new-post-911-gi-bill-overview.html#targetText=The Post-9/11 GI,use for books and supplies.
Makes total sense. Danke!

All for it, unlike the whiners on the left, this group has actually given something to this country. The country owes it to them.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
i think this is a good move but im not a fan of executive orders. i think it wouldve been better as a bill

Somewhere a wealthy, white self-entitled 26 year old millennial liberal in New York City is furiously crying on social media about this, wondering why veterans with 2 limbs missing are any more entitled to this than them.

"I mean, We all have hardships! My favorite new age farm-to-table restaurant downstairs closed and now I have to walk 5 blocks to find an identical restaurant!"

Damn, the GI Bill is much better than when I used it. I paid a total of $1200 into it and got $300/month for 3 years, IIRC. It was still better than a sharp stick in the eye though.

Reactions: UCFBS
Agreed, a good fraction of $1B is still a budgetary consideration. That's the only, valid argument with this ... along with ensuring there is a bit of 'fairness' in considerations to other veterans (but not non-veterans**).

The G.I. Bill and even Army, USAF and USN/USMC specific additives don't always cover everything. And then there's the fact that they are disabled, which makes things more costly, monetarily and otherwise. So ... again, there's probably a bit of 'fairness' argument in there somewhere, just among veterans. But if anyone is going to have anything forgiven, it should be veterans, and few (if any) other public servants.**

Was this a well-timed, political PR stunt by Trump that will only bother the left more? Sure. But it's still nice to see.

**Millennials are the first generation that didn't have parents of the Vietnam War
, and I never realized how many are oblivious and naive of the history of US military service, until I talked with many starting earlier this decade. It's a significant portion of the generation.

E.g., many don't realize that the US used to have a draft, or if they did, they didn't realize it was a felony to dodge it -- among other details. They always thought people had 'choices.' They also thought Vietnam Vets came back to hometown parades and other things, like Gen-X and Millennial soldiers do. And that's just the tip-of-the-iceberg.

As such, I'm still surprised how many taken an issue with 'preferential treatment' that veterans get, everything from voting times to paid college benefits. I've surprised how many argue for other 'public servants' to get the same benefits as military veterans. Sure, it's 'preferential treatment,' but it's very much earned for many. It's kinda ironic considering how much they argue for 'preferential treatment' of so many others.

I don't even 'get bothered' any more when they question things, because they really are oblivious and naive, and that's not really their fault. I actually 'take pitty' on most of them now, and no longer get upset. I try to take the time to educate them on many things my father ran into, as well as other Baby Boomers. They just honestly never heard of it before.

And hate Democrats like Jim Webb for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
I just want to know where exactly the funds are coming from. Hopefully, it comes from the defense budget.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I just want to know where exactly the funds are coming from. Hopefully, it comes from the defense budget.
It should, because it's veteran related. The defense budget should always be put in the context of long-term costs.

At the same time, I do think the defense budget should get a 'humanitarian credit' for all the costs of the world's #1 'first responder' international organization. Americans, let alone the world, might look at things quite differently if they did.

Somewhere a wealthy, white self-entitled 26 year old millennial liberal in New York City is furiously crying on social media about this, wondering why veterans with 2 limbs missing are any more entitled to this than them.

"I mean, We all have hardships! My favorite new age farm-to-table restaurant downstairs closed and now I have to walk 5 blocks to find an identical restaurant!"
:joy:

Reactions: UCFBS
i think this is a good move but im not a fan of executive orders. i think it wouldve been better as a bill
Jesus, it was a frickin' miracle that the 9/11 responders' health care bill actually made it through 'Moscow Mitch' McConnell's Republican-controlled Senate. Just be glad it happened.

Reactions: bluechip12
The key words in your response are "when the vote came up." :)

There was never any question that it would be approved. You're still upset that a couple of guys wanted clarification on where the money would come from as opposed to just letting Trump figure it out?

There was never any question that it would be approved. You're still upset that a couple of guys wanted clarification on where the money would come from as opposed to just letting Trump figure it out?
Rand Paul started that too. But people only hear Paul questioning that, or any Democratic sponsored bill with costs, not all of the Republican ones he's questioning as well.

Jesus, it was a frickin' miracle that the 9/11 responders' health care bill actually made it through 'Moscow Mitch' McConnell's Republican-controlled Senate. Just be glad it happened.
i prefer to call him cocaine mitch, but moscow mitch has a nice ring to it. too bad you dont have anything credible to back up that nickname though.

There was never any question that it would be approved.
You're being disingenuous, Crazy. The original 2010 bill expired and needed to be reauthorized.

I'm glad you were confident it would be reauthorized (at some point) but what was happening to the first responders who were being treated for cancer and other 911-related illnesses in the meantime?

Reactions: bluechip12
You're being disingenuous, Crazy. The original 2010 bill expired and needed to be reauthorized.

I'm glad you were confident it would be reauthorized (at some point) but what was happening to the first responders who were being treated for cancer and other 911-related illnesses in the meantime?
And there was no question that it would be reauthorized. There were 2 guys that wanted the bill to actually include where the money was going to come from. Shouldn't we want Congress to include that instead of just telling the president "hey, do this and figure out how to make it work".

And there was no question that it would be reauthorized. There were 2 guys that wanted the bill to actually include where the money was going to come from. Shouldn't we want Congress to include that instead of just telling the president "hey, do this and figure out how to make it work".
werent they just complaining about trumps deficit? lol

And there was no question that it would be reauthorized.
The original bill was passed in 2010. You say there was 'no question' it would be reauthorized. Most people would have assumed there was 'no question' it would be reauthorized BEFORE the original bill expired. How in the world did that happen?

The original bill was passed in 2010. You say there was 'no question' it would be reauthorized. Most people would have assumed there was 'no question' it would be reauthorized BEFORE the original bill expired. How in the world did that happen?

By that logic, you should ask why the original bill wasn't written in such a way that it would never expire and completely leave the administration of it to whoever the president may be.

Excellent point, Crazy. One also has to wonder why it took until 2010 for the original bill to pass.
I would imagine it took that long to have any data on the health issues that it caused for the responders. I don't think anyone was really thinking that people were going to get cancer from it.

It was stuck forever in a Democrat controlled House subcommittee.

Jesus you’re a lying jackass

Reactions: UCFWayne and UCFBS
It was stuck forever in a Democrat controlled House subcommittee. Jesus you’re a lying jackass
Excuse me, WHO'S the "lying jackass"?

Yes it was held up in the House (um, back in 2015) by two (uh, Republican) Committee chairmen who were worried that a full on reauthorization would create a mandatory spending program that was not paid for in its entirety.

Excuse me, WHO'S the "lying jackass"?

Yes it was held up in the House (um, back in 2015) by two (uh, Republican) Committee chairmen who were worried that a full on reauthorization would create a mandatory spending program that was not paid for in its entirety.

The democrats held the house since January. It took Stewart going to DC in June to get this bill out of the DEMOCRATIC SUBCOMMITTEE it was stuck in and not moving out of.

You can lie all you want but I’ll be here to remind people of the facts

Damn, the GI Bill is much better than when I used it. I paid a total of $1200 into it and got $300/month for 3 years, IIRC. It was still better than a sharp stick in the eye though.

Thats the Montgomery GI bill, that you had to pay into. If you only got $300 a month you must have been going to school in some shitty BAH area. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is pretty awesome though, especially the ability to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT