ADVERTISEMENT

Trump gets better China deal

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ng-to-joint-statement/?utm_term=.3fe83d10e3db

so maybe all the tarriff talk worked after all. little details so far but this is a better deal than before.

The U.S. and China have announced in a joint statement that talks between the two countries has led to an agreement to “substantially reduce the United States trade deficit” with China.

“To meet the growing consumption needs of the Chinese people and the need for high-quality economic development, China will significantly increase purchases of United States goods and services. This will help support growth and employment in the United States," the statement read.

The agreed upon steps:

• China will purchase “significantly more” goods and services from America, including “meaningful increases in United States agriculture and energy exports” to China.
• The two countries will expand trade in manufacturing.
• China will put in place stricter enforcement of intellectual property laws and regulations.

Trump’s chief economic advisor Larry Kudlow said the expanded purchases are intended to reduce America’s $375 billion trade deficit with China by at least $200 billon. The announcement comes amid complicated negotiations over tariffs imposed by the Trump administration, the North Korean nuclear program, China’s expansion in the South China Sea, and allegations of intellectual property theft.

It's not perfect. It doesn't solve every single problem. It didn't address my pet issues.

Impeach him!

- TDS Americans

lmao these threads with the "water cooler brain trust" all posting are always good for a laugh.

If only you guys ran the country! We would have everything all figured out. :joy:

Be careful to praise this deal too much. Yes, it is a good thing but there could be some serious consequences. If it ends up being based on mutual trade then it's good. If this ends up just being an avenue for China to unload their dollars back into the US economy then velocity could spike. It could lead to a couple of pretty tough years for the lower-middle class.

Be careful to praise this deal too much. Yes, it is a good thing but there could be some serious consequences. If it ends up being based on mutual trade then it's good. If this ends up just being an avenue for China to unload their dollars back into the US economy then velocity could spike. It could lead to a couple of pretty tough years for the lower-middle class.
i agree its too early to tell. from what little we know, it seems good but time will tell.

i agree its too early to tell. from what little we know, it seems good but time will tell.

It's something that had to happen. I'll admit to being pretty skeptical about how any of trumps economic policies would work out but so far it's been as ideal as we could ask for, so I have hope.

China's policy is to screw the US. They will continue trying, maybe just succeed a little less now. Or find a new avenue to screw us.

This isn't true, or at the very least it's a simplistic interpretation of the situation.

Right. They’re ripping off our IP and attacking our IT systems on a daily basis simply for the fun of it.

If you have ever bought a product made in China there is absolutely no room for complaining. People act as if the macro world is the devil while they reap the micro world benefits. Damn foreigners making stuff that we want for less money and taking the paper we print on in exchange. Total classic.

For all of the gold hounds and America first people here: start paying double or triple for your IPhone or TV and THEN you can start complaining about trade imbalance. Until then, thank your lucky stars that you live in a country that can print money out of thin air and you can use it to buy the stuff you want for a fraction of the cost. Or better yet, go ahead and do a direct trade with them based on your production vs their production.

If you have ever bought a product made in China there is absolutely no room for complaining. People act as if the macro world is the devil while they reap the micro world benefits. Damn foreigners making stuff that we want for less money and taking the paper we print on in exchange. Total classic.

For all of the gold hounds and America first people here: start paying double or triple for your IPhone or TV and THEN you can start complaining about trade imbalance. Until then, thank your lucky stars that you live in a country that can print money out of thin air and you can use it to buy the stuff you want for a fraction of the cost. Or better yet, go ahead and do a direct trade with them based on your production vs their production.

This.

People complaining about a trade imbalance have zero understanding how our economy works.

This is totally nonsensical. Since I buy products made in China, I can’t also demand that steps be taken to curb that countries practice of ripping off American IP and waging a daily cyber corporate espionage war?

One has nothing to do with the other. I am perfectly find with Apple making phones in China; I am absolutely not ok with China stealing our countries’ future by stealing IP that was created by American investment and brains. I am not ok with China setting up shell investment companies here that have no purpose other than stealing from our citizens and our companies

This is totally nonsensical. Since I buy products made in China, I can’t also demand that steps be taken to curb that countries practice of ripping off American IP and waging a daily cyber corporate espionage war?

One has nothing to do with the other. I am perfectly find with Apple making phones in China; I am absolutely not ok with China stealing our countries’ future by stealing IP that was created by American investment and brains. I am not ok with China setting up shell investment companies here that have no purpose other than stealing from our citizens and our companies

Then personally boycott everything made in China.

Then personally boycott everything made in China.

Just so I’m clear, you think China has a right to grossly violate WTO trade rules and US law? All because people buy their exports?

Yea, ok then.

Just so I’m clear, you think China has a right to grossly violate WTO trade rules and US law? All because people buy their exports?

Yea, ok then.
Again, this thread is about TRADE. To that end, they are producing goods at a price that is far below the value that you have to pay for them. On top of it, we pay for those goods with dollars that haven't come back yet, so it's basically free stuff. Until you have to trade your time and expertise to get those dollars back then don't complain.

How many hours would it take for you to assemble an Iphone? How many hours of your earning potential would it take to develop the technology to make it work?

Again, this thread is about TRADE. To that end, they are producing goods at a price that is far below the value that you have to pay for them. On top of it, we pay for those goods with dollars that haven't come back yet, so it's basically free stuff. Until you have to trade your time and expertise to get those dollars back then don't complain.

How many hours would it take for you to assemble an Iphone? How many hours of your earning potential would it take to develop the technology to make it work?

I guess you missed the part where theft of IP is just as central to this trade debate as trade deficits.

But ok- you’re going to frame this as needed to come out on top. I get it.

I guess you missed the part where theft of IP is just as central to this trade debate as trade deficits.

But ok- you’re going to frame this as needed to come out on top. I get it.

Ok. Since you are unwilling to discuss the aspect of dollars moving back and forth between our countries, let's discuss why intellectual property is important economically. You start.

Explain it.

China makes cheap stuff
We buy cheap stuff from china because its cheaper than making it here
We are happy b/c we get cheap stuff
China is happy because they have employment
red hatters rage because "muh trade deficit"

China makes cheap stuff
We buy cheap stuff from china because its cheaper than making it here
We are happy b/c we get cheap stuff
China is happy because they have employment
red hatters rage because "muh trade deficit"
You missed something. The people that are raging have the ability to do so because they were able to afford an iPhone that gives them access to the interwebs.

You missed something. The people that are raging have the ability to do so because they were able to afford an iPhone that gives them access to the interwebs.

haha good point, I missed a key opportunity. my last line should read:
red hatters rage (online using their cheaply purchased devices thanks to this very trade deficit) because "MAGA muh trade deficit"

Ok. Since you are unwilling to discuss the aspect of dollars moving back and forth between our countries, let's discuss why intellectual property is important economically. You start.
Seriously? You don't know why the theft of intellectual property hurts us economically?

Reactions: UCFWayne
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46531803

China has reportedly proposed cutting tariffs on US-made cars to 15%, the same tax levied on car imports from other countries.

i mean it was 25% but went up to 40% because of the brief trade wars but now down to 15%..... very bad trump how dare he do this!!11*

We should stop all actions against China and continue to allow them to systematically steal from us and dump their products into our market.

Trump is a meanie!!!!!!!! Leave poor China alone!!!!

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT