ADVERTISEMENT

Trump prepares to withdraw from afghanistan

Eh, headline is really misleading. They're reducing from 14K troops down to 8K which is where we were before Trump took office. All while we wait and see if the Taliban will actually do what they are signing up to.

Put me down as someone who doesn't believe a single word the Taliban would/will say for any deal. Sharia is incompatible with any of the things that they're trying to negotiate. They'll sign up to this, do things right for a while, but be back to stoning women and sending love messages to Al Qaeda in a few years.

Eh, headline is really misleading. They're reducing from 14K troops down to 8K which is where we were before Trump took office. All while we wait and see if the Taliban will actually do what they are signing up to.

Put me down as someone who doesn't believe a single word the Taliban would/will say for any deal. Sharia is incompatible with any of the things that they're trying to negotiate. They'll sign up to this, do things right for a while, but be back to stoning women and sending love messages to Al Qaeda in a few years.
its a step. hopefully we pull completely out of there in year. i dont care what happens over there after that.

its a step. hopefully we pull completely out of there in year. i dont care what happens over there after that.

You will when it becomes the Caliphate 2.0 and they're training more bombers to infest Europe for mass casualties.

how long has it been? 18 years? that sounds more like a problem for europe.

It’s a problem for all western democracies, but seeing as how we want to maintain our superpower and hegemon status, it’s largely our problem.

The Middle East will be a trouble spot for the rest of eternity. Radical Islamic thought has been established, so there is no killing off that idea completely and as 85 said, withdrawing troops just allows the Taliban to come back and establish power, trading camps, mountain bases etc. for al-Qaeda, ISIS, or the next group.

Problems over there will only get worse because as the earth gets hotter, water becomes more scarce, and reliance on oil dries globally, existing conditions will deteriorate. Sectarian violence will rise, as will warlord control over the ungoverned areas.

Withdrawing troops from the areas does not work, it only creates more problems. IMO I think we need a larger footprint, and it’s just something unpleasant we have to suck up and deal with.

It’s a problem for all western democracies, but seeing as how we want to maintain our superpower and hegemon status, it’s largely our problem.

The Middle East will be a trouble spot for the rest of eternity. Radical Islamic thought has been established, so there is no killing off that idea completely and as 85 said, withdrawing troops just allows the Taliban to come back and establish power, trading camps, mountain bases etc. for al-Qaeda, ISIS, or the next group.

Problems over there will only get worse because as the earth gets hotter, water becomes more scarce, and reliance on oil dries globally, existing conditions will deteriorate. Sectarian violence will rise, as will warlord control over the ungoverned areas.

Withdrawing troops from the areas does not work, it only creates more problems. IMO I think we need a larger footprint, and it’s just something unpleasant we have to suck up and deal with.
i agree with a lot of that. i understand the problems will come right back. im just tired of all the war. i say we let the european countries worry about it more since they are closer.

id rather pull those people and those resources back home. if we are going to nation build, id rather we do that closer to home, maybe in central america.

I'm all about ensuring security but at what point do we pull the plug because the cost isn't worth the return? Although to be fair, there isn't a place on earth we aren't involved with in some scale so what's the difference. The biggest thing is that we need these other UN/NATO/Allied countries to carry their weight and not bank on us leading every charge and carrying the team.

I'm all about ensuring security but at what point do we pull the plug because the cost isn't worth the return? Although to be fair, there isn't a place on earth we aren't involved with in some scale so what's the difference. The biggest thing is that we need these other UN/NATO/Allied countries to carry their weight and not bank on us leading every charge and carrying the team.

Our troops will probably remain in Afghanistan as a semi-permanent force for some time, just as we did in post war Europe and in S Korea. The mere presence of US troops bring stability even if they are not engaging in combat or taking any lead role in operations, which they definitely shouldn't be.

It also means that if we actually had to surge to deal with an ISIS type event, we could do it with a presence already in country.

I don't want them fighting there any more than the next guy but I also think that we need to protect the progress we made over 18 years and now allow it to crumble the second we leave when Afghanistan still has a weak central government.

Our troops will probably remain in Afghanistan as a semi-permanent force for some time, just as we did in post war Europe and in S Korea. The mere presence of US troops bring stability even if they are not engaging in combat or taking any lead role in operations, which they definitely shouldn't be.

It also means that if we actually had to surge to deal with an ISIS type event, we could do it with a presence already in country.

I don't want them fighting there any more than the next guy but I also think that we need to protect the progress we made over 18 years and now allow it to crumble the second we leave when Afghanistan still has a weak central government.
that area was war torn before we got there and will be long after we finally decide to leave. nothing is going to change.

that area was war torn before we got there and will be long after we finally decide to leave. nothing is going to change.

Afghanistan was a peaceful, beautiful place up until the mid 1970's. This site features pictures of an American living in Kabul in 1967 and it looks nothing like Afghanistan post-Taliban and post-Soviet war. It's not like we're dealing with a region that has been in conflict for 200 years.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/1960s-afghanistan

Afghanistan was a peaceful, beautiful place up until the mid 1970's. This site features pictures of an American living in Kabul in 1967 and it looks nothing like Afghanistan post-Taliban and post-Soviet war. It's not like we're dealing with a region that has been in conflict for 200 years.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/1960s-afghanistan
a brief period of peace in an otherwise long history of tribal war.

ADVERTISEMENT