ADVERTISEMENT

Trump to change green card rules

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mmigration-green-cards-immigrants/2204107002/

Steven Camarota, the director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies, did his own analysis of the green card population and found that 63 percent of households headed by a noncitizen used at least one welfare program, compared to 35 percent of households headed by a native-born citizen. That's why the center supports the new public charge rule, and other measures to shift the U.S. from a primarily family-based immigration system to a merit-based one.

"Either we select future immigrants unlikely to need welfare by emphasizing skills and education, or we accept the welfare burden that comes from our current immigration system," Camarota said.

looks like it might be harder for immigrants to get a green card if they are getting public assistance. i think this is a good change.

Almost all countries make sure you're not an economic burden.
Unless they're asylum seekers. Asylum seekers are not immigrants and have different rules. Asylum seekers are supposed to go back to their countries of origin once it is safe again. They can become immigrant seekers at some point. Of course, we are seeing a great number of immigrant seekers claiming asylum at our southern border and a huge emotional appeal from Democrats to divert voters from Republicans. This doesn't fix that problem.

Reactions: UCFWayne
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mmigration-green-cards-immigrants/2204107002/

Steven Camarota, the director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies, did his own analysis of the green card population and found that 63 percent of households headed by a noncitizen used at least one welfare program, compared to 35 percent of households headed by a native-born citizen. That's why the center supports the new public charge rule, and other measures to shift the U.S. from a primarily family-based immigration system to a merit-based one.

"Either we select future immigrants unlikely to need welfare by emphasizing skills and education, or we accept the welfare burden that comes from our current immigration system," Camarota said.

looks like it might be harder for immigrants to get a green card if they are getting public assistance. i think this is a good change.
Agreed.

Reactions: Crazyhole
This is pretty much how Canada and Australia have handled immigration for years.

Unless they're asylum seekers. Asylum seekers are not immigrants and have different rules. Asylum seekers are supposed to go back to their countries of origin once it is safe again. They can become immigrant seekers at some point. Of course, we are seeing a great number of immigrant seekers claiming asylum at our southern border and a huge emotional appeal from Democrats to divert voters from Republicans. This doesn't fix that problem.

Trump previously changed the law so that asylum seekers first must seek asylum in the country they first go to, thus hondurans must first seek aslyum in Belize, Mexico, or El salvador or will be denied at the US border. So he is changing several laws to discourage mass migration. Great moves IMO while getting the wall slowly built up. Immigration has to be a multi-pronged approach

Trump previously changed the law so that asylum seekers first must seek asylum in the country they first go to, thus hondurans must first seek aslyum in Belize, Mexico, or El salvador or will be denied at the US border. So he is changing several laws to discourage mass migration. Great moves IMO while getting the wall slowly built up. Immigration has to be a multi-pronged approach
Those work because those countries agreed to safe first country status and to receive asylum seekers. There isn’t anything that codifies this behavior; they can back out any time. Another President can change course. They’re baby steps but I’d like to see them solidified.

I'm mixed on this. But yes, since we've created all the other BS, maybe the Green Card system should be merit-based?

The IEEE USA has been pushing this for years for a reason. Lots of people, very educated, key workers, are being pushed to Work Visas, when they should be on Green Cards. I've been working with such people since the late '90s. They should have been on Green Cards.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Can Trump unilaterally change rules like that?

Not 100% sure but I think he can. I seem to remember reading about a court case on immigration at one point and the judges determined that it was under the scope of the executive branch on how immigration and naturalization is administered.

Not 100% sure but I think he can. I seem to remember reading about a court case on immigration at one point and the judges determined that it was under the scope of the executive branch on how immigration and naturalization is administered.

Of course he can. There is a Congressionally passed law on the books that specifically states that immigrants cannot obtain legal status if they present a public charge on the nation. It's a law on the books. The Executive then issues "guidance" on how it will or won't be enforced; the Clinton Admin basically issued guidance that neutered the law from an enforcement perspective whereas Trump is now putting enforcement of this existing law into practice.

Trump is not "making a new rule", he's issuing guidance on enforcing an existing law.

Of course he can. There is a Congressionally passed law on the books that specifically states that immigrants cannot obtain legal status if they present a public charge on the nation. It's a law on the books. The Executive then issues "guidance" on how it will or won't be enforced; the Clinton Admin basically issued guidance that neutered the law from an enforcement perspective whereas Trump is now putting enforcement of this existing law into practice.

Trump is not "making a new rule", he's issuing guidance on enforcing an existing law.

The only question to me is how they can define "primarily dependent" which is written into the law. Does that strictly mean over 50% of their income/expenses? No doubt this will be litigated.

Can Trump unilaterally change rules like that?
He can, but people can challenge in the courts if it's discriminatory. That's why I said I was 'mixed' on this matter. The US is supposed to be a land of opportunity for all, meaning we give Green Cards to people without bias. So in the spirit of that, the Trump administration is incorrect.

However,
the US also has all these "Work Visa" programs that are completely discriminatory.We also have these amnesty and refugee programs that are also, completely discriminatory, including how Green Cards are handed out to them, so it's indirectly favoring them for Green Cards. So while I'm against favoring anyone with Green Cards, there's the reality that we're becoming an anti-meritocracy with everything, including -- indirectly -- Green Cards. This now says Green Cards will favor people based on merit by default, and other aspects are secondary, but still considered.

The IEEE USA and most US chapters of engineering organizations have been complaining about this for years. That companies force qualified people through Work Visas, all the meanwhile the Green Cards seem to get issued to refugees and other priorities. With engineers unable to get Green Cards, they are under the thumbs of their corporate sponsors, don't form entrepreneurships in the US so they cannot innovate as much, and they are paid far, far less than someone with the freedom of a Green Card would ... which brings down US salaries because the other, non-engineers taking part of their paycheck on both sides of the border.

I.e., we've expanded Work Visas since 1990 in this regard, the Democratic Congresses, the Bushes, the Clintons, even Obama and the Republican Congresses -- H1B is the biggest abuse system of all, and there's no requirement to not fire an American, or keep the 'non-immigrants' in the job forever with no opportunity for advancement. As the IEEE USA pointed out, the average time from H1B Visa to Green Card is 151 years -- yes, one hundered fifty-one (151). We are becoming a country of non-immigration as a result.

BTW, Bernie Sanders has been aligned with Trump on this, so it's not just a Trump thing. Remember, Sanders is pro-small business, anti-big business and anti-lobbyist ... although is taxes and other things kinda, indirectly, do the opposite (a key, Libertarian issue we have with Sanders). But Sanders has spoken out against what government has done to small mom'n pop companies, even from coal to guns.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT