ADVERTISEMENT

Trumps new Mexico/Canada trade deal

Trump's son-in-law was key to the deal, according to the US' most senior negotiator:
SIDE NOTE: I love how the US media keeps talking about "stripped of his security clearance." No, Kelly just negated all interim Top Secret security clearances, which was his right to do so. It had everything to do with the ineptitude of US OPM, and nothing to do with Kushner. I know dozens of good people in the same boat. OPM has limited capabilities since 2014, long, long story. Some of it is not public as well.

Trump's son-in-law was key to the deal, according to the US' most senior negotiator:
SIDE NOTE: I love how the US media keeps talking about "stripped of his security clearance." No, Kelly just negated all interim Top Secret security clearances, which was his right to do so. It had everything to do with the ineptitude of US OPM, and nothing to do with Kushner. I know dozens of good people in the same boat. OPM has limited capabilities since 2014, long, long story. Some of it is not public as well.
Very shameful to reply to this thread but not acknowledge that you smeared my good name by saying I didnt support this fine deal.

The fact that it has to be re-negotiated every 6 years is a major, major change. No one is talking about that.

But that all said ...

In the '90s, Ross Perot detailed how this was not "Free Trade" and "special interest." But people didn't believe him, and said it was "Free Trade" and should be "perpetual."

But now, Trump exposes NAFTA for what it is, gets rid of several "protectionist" clauses, and greatly improves the US' position, and Americans are so anti-Trump ... they refuse to agree it's "better" than it was.

Especially the new 6 years clause -- no longer "Perpetual."

If Obama would have negotiated this, I would have praised him and lambasted Republicans who disagreed. And the US media would have been screaming how the Republicans were "undermining the US' bargaining position" the whole time.

This is just how pathetic the left and the US media have become, and absolutely undermines their entire positioning.

Reactions: UCFWayne
It would help to see more details.
I am not sure that "75 percent of its components manufactured in Canada, Mexico or the United States" is good enough since it may push some of the suppliers to move their manufacturing facilities to Mexico.
The 30%-40% of work done by workers paid at least $16/hour? That means that for every worker in the US or Canada there will be 2 in Mexico
The dairy deal = good

I am not sure that "75 percent of its components manufactured in Canada, Mexico or the United States" is good enough since it may push some of the suppliers to move their manufacturing facilities to Mexico.
The 30%-40% of work done by workers paid at least $16/hour? That means that for every worker in the US or Canada there will be 2 in Mexico
Ummm, did you see the prior terms in NAFTA?

The dairy deal = good
You're forgetting the 6 year cycle.
Before, NAFTA was perpetual.

The dairy deal = good
At some point having more industry in Mexico is good, though, because it means less people trying to come here by any means possible to find work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-delays-auto-tariff-threat-for-up-to-180-days/2019/05/17/95432e8e-78a7-11e9-b7ae-390de4259661_story.html

U.S. reaches deal with Canada, Mexico to lift steel, aluminum tariffs, clearing key obstacle to passage of Trump’s new trade deal

The United States has agreed to lift its tariffs on industrial metals from Mexico and Canada, clearing a major obstacle to congressional passage of President Trump’s new North American trade deal, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The bargain calls for Mexico and Canada to adopt tough new monitoring and enforcement measures to prevent Chinese steel from being shipped to the U.S. via their territory. U.S. tariffs are to be lifted in 48 hours.

Even the New York Times cannot deny what the Trump strategy is actually doing ...
Nothing pisses me off than when Progressives and Democrats are so anti-Trump, they don't see what he's trying to accomplish.

And this is what I've been hoping for.

Yes, the "Trade Wars" only work if they are short-term, and "the other side" capitulates into a deal that is more even -- or actual 'free trade' (which we actually don't have if one reads the agreements -- full of exclusives and protectionalism). I'm not against some countries protecting some industries, and even the US has its own issues (e.g., Dairy Subsidies) and some false claims (e.g., Boeing against various).

But deals need to be fair ... and both left and right politicians have 'sold us out' too many times.

I have many complaints about Trump, but with Trump's "tough rhetoric" and "anti-outsourcing tax code" (even Democratic politicians have been privately cheering him on -- the first, of any party -- to do this) ... I was hopeful that the US will 'pivot' back to its American and European allies as trading partners, and put China back in its place.

Trump is quick to 'pause' tariffs on American and European allies, and has scored yet another, new deal -- and new deals that require regular re-negotiation (if we had real 'free trade,' that wouldn't be required) -- and Europe is also getting those. But China is not getting a 'free pass' because they aren't willing to talk.

And there's a reason for that ... China depends on American consumers.

I know American consumers are complaining, and they are going to get a lot worse in the future -- especially if we 'pivot' to the Americans and Europe. Prices for goods will go up. But if you look at the reality ... we Americans have been paying for near-'slave labor' for far too long.

And government does *NOT* create industry. Sorry, but truth.

Get ready, it's going to be messy ... but more and more, I see a strong US-American-European trade relationship on the horizon, and China starting to realize just how much they are at the mercy of the American consumer.

Hate Trump, like Trump ... understand this was always going to come to a head at some point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT