ADVERTISEMENT

Trust in the Government

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
When LBJ was facing off against Goldwater in the election of 1964, 77% of Americans trusted their Government. Today, as Trump faces off against Biden in the election of 2020, 17% of Americans trust their Government. That's a 60% drop.

What happened?

When LBJ was facing off against Goldwater in the election of 1964, 77% of Americans trusted their Government. Today, as Trump faces off against Biden in the election of 2020, 17% of Americans trust their Government. That's a 60% drop.

What happened?
Well you have big fat criminal Billy Barr running a dictatorship justice dept.. Plus ALL the lies and criminal acts are all documented, verifiable

What happened?
Only one logical conclusion, 17 percent of the people in this country are complete idiots.

Q. What's 100 politicians at the bottom of the ocean?
A. A good start

Reactions: UCFWayne

What happened?

The free flow of information happened. Logic suggests that free-flowing information creates a better educated electorate. Turns out disinformation is insanely powerful without tools to regulate it.

Imagine a spectrum where on the far left we have N. Korea - total government control of information. On the far right, we have constitutionally protected speech. Somewhere in between those extremes you have governments that control and limit speech to varying degrees.

As communication becomes easier, it becomes harder and harder for both extremes to exist. In North Korea, the free-flowing information threatens to undermine the fake reality created by the government, making it perpetually harder and harder on the government to maintain the illusion.

In the US, our inability to regulate disinformation makes it increasingly harder to have a common set of facts that our opinions are built around, eroding trust from all sides.

What happened?

Simple. Nixon, Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump happened.

Simple. Nixon, Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump happened.
Nixon: "I am not a crook."
Bush: "Read my lips: No new taxes."
Clinton: "I did not have sex with that woman."
Bush: "We must stop the threat that Saddam's missiles of mass destruction pose for this country."
Obama: "If you want to keep your doctor, you can."
Trump: Five or more to choose from daily. But we'll go with "The virus will magically disappear once it gets warmer outside."

Nixon: "I am not a crook."
Bush: "Read my lips: No new taxes."
Clinton: "I did not have sex with that woman."
Bush: "We must stop the threat that Saddam's missiles of mass destruction pose for this country."
Obama: "If you want to keep your doctor, you can."
Trump: Five or more to choose from daily. But we'll go with "The virus will magically disappear once it gets warmer outside."
What's funny about this is that the first
3 on that list would have gone down as pretty good presidents if not for those 3 things. Makes me wonder how much those things affected public perception of the last 3 in how their administrations went and how much it has progressively gotten worse

What's funny about this is that the first
3 on that list would have gone down as pretty good presidents if not for those 3 things. Makes me wonder how much those things affected public perception of the last 3 in how their administrations went and how much it has progressively gotten worse
The significance of the lie has a lot to do with it too. It was kind of 'a biggie' when George W Bush sent us to war on the notion that American lives were at risk because Saddam had a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction pointed our way.

Whether it was a colossal lie or a monumental breakdown in intelligence, the WMDs were total bullshit. How many lives and how many billions of dollars were lost over this? This is when my faith in George Bush and the Republican party turned sour.

Reactions: PhDee
The significance of the lie has a lot to do with it too. It was kind of 'a biggie' when George W Bush sent us to war on the notion that American lives were at risk because Saddam had a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction pointed our way.

Whether it was a colossal lie or a monumental breakdown in intelligence, the WMDs were total bullshit. How many lives and how many billions of dollars were lost over this? This is when my faith in George Bush and the Republican party turned sour.
Same here. I said from the beginning that if we were going to go to war anywhere other than Afghanistan it should have been Syria, but Iraq was the easy target for stupid reasons. It undermined faith more in the government more than anything we could have done and cost trillions. I dont totally blame Bush for it, but it was a mistake and needs to own it.

What happened?
Media exposure has allowed every action of the federal government to be scrutinized. Similar idea to people filming bad police officers. In reality, officers today are probably the least racist and least abusive in history, yet, public trust is very low.

What happened?

The American people wised up. 90% of high ranking politicians are lawyers.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Media exposure has allowed every action of the federal government to be scrutinized. Similar idea to people filming bad police officers. In reality, officers today are probably the least racist and least abusive in history, yet, public trust is very low.
I would agree with your take on police officers. Unfortunately throughout our nation's history, the bar has been very low when race is an issue.

What happened?
They started killing people in their sleep.

I would agree with your take on police officers. Unfortunately throughout our nation's history, the bar has been very low when race is an issue.
Can you explain more what you mean regarding the bar being set low for race?

Our modern day police departments evolved out of the slave patrols of the 1700s.
That’s actually not true at all. were there slave patrols in the 1700s, yes, but this is not at all where our modern day police force derives from. I highly suggest you do some reading before you throw out false ideas. It derives from policing strategies in Europe.

That’s actually not true at all. were there slave patrols in the 1700s, yes, but this is not at all where our modern day police force derives from. I highly suggest you do some reading before you throw out false ideas. It derives from policing strategies in Europe.
We're taking 1700s versus today so OBVIOUSLY there is a Grand Canyon-wide difference between the two. On the other hand, acting like slave patrols weren't the forerunners of American police is literally sticking your head in the sand.

But your response isn't surprising. Ignoring our racist heritage is certainly nothing new for Americans.

Remember when Obama was POTUS and all the right wing morons said you can't trust the government? Now the same chuds are tripping over themselves to say the government is the ultimate trustworthy source, and it's the media that is evil lol.

We're taking 1700s versus today so OBVIOUSLY there is a Grand Canyon-wide difference between the two. On the other hand, acting like slave patrols weren't the forerunners of American police is literally sticking your head in the sand.

But your response isn't surprising. Ignoring our racist heritage is certainly nothing new for Americans.
My reply actually acknowledged race patrols, but to say that police derive from race patrols is a lie. You are clearly not educated and you need to quit lying bud.

My reply actually acknowledged race patrols, but to say that police derive from race patrols is a lie. You are clearly not educated and you need to quit lying bud.
LOL - It would appear one of us isn't very educated on the subject:

"The use of patrols to capture runaway slaves was one of the precursors of formal police forces, especially in the South. This disastrous legacy persisted as an element of the police role even after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964."

Police Studies Online
Eastern Kentucky University

Police Studies Online

Let me guess, those lib universities -- like Eastern Kentucky -- are always tryin' to rewrite American history, huh? :)

ADVERTISEMENT