ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsi Gabbard sues google

I don't like that this happened, but claiming that a private company infringed on her 1st amendment rights is a stretch.

I don't like that this happened, but claiming that a private company infringed on her 1st amendment rights is a stretch.
what about the 1st amendment rights of her supporters? if it was hard to suddenly search for her or her campaign and make donations, youd better believe google is in a world of trouble.

what about the 1st amendment rights of her supporters? if it was hard to suddenly search for her or her campaign and make donations, youd better believe google is in a world of trouble.

The first amendment is a limitation on government, not private companies or people.

The first amendment is a limitation on government, not private companies or people.
the are so many restrictions on private companies regarding elections. especially with election advertisements. im serious when i say, i have a feeling google will get hit very hard for this.

Lolololol Wayne doesn't understand the Constitution yet again.

God this board is hilarious. Free comedy.

the are so many restrictions on private companies regarding elections. especially with election advertisements. im serious when i say, i have a feeling google will get hit very hard for this.

Does YWB have a case to sue this site?

just an fyi, if a politician wants to advertise, tv, radio, news, billboards, etc, there are strict rules. first off even if a car dealership booked a spot on a football game a year in advance, that ad will automatically get bumped for the political ad, even if the ad was to be placed a few day before a game. political ads are always rated as the highest priority. they cannot be discriminated against. if hillary wanted, she couldve run ads on fox 24x7. also they have to give the lowest price possible for those ads. they cant charge more or less depending on candidate, thus they always get the minimum rates. there are also rules in place if an ad gets cut off and that sort of thing. the logs for these things are monitored.

i believe the penalties for things like are harsh. so if google did in fact suspend her ads, even for a few hours, they could be in big trouble.

just an fyi, if a politician wants to advertise, tv, radio, news, billboards, etc, there are strict rules. first off even if a car dealership booked a spot on a football game a year in advance, that ad will automatically get bumped for the political ad, even if the ad was to be placed a few day before a game. political ads are always rated as the highest priority. they cannot be discriminated against. if hillary wanted, she couldve run ads on fox 24x7. also they have to give the lowest price possible for those ads. they cant charge more or less depending on candidate, thus they always get the minimum rates. there are also rules in place if an ad gets cut off and that sort of thing. the logs for these things are monitored.

i believe the penalties for things like are harsh. so if google did in fact suspend her ads, even for a few hours, they could be in big trouble.

That is all good and well, but that should be the basis of her lawsuit, not the first amendment.

It's a simple contract dispute.
She's creating a false narrative that it's about free speech.

It's a simple contract dispute.
She's creating a false narrative that it's about free speech.
"In the hours following the 1st debate, while millions of Americans searched for info about Tulsi, Google suspended her search ad account w/o explanation," the campaign said. "It is vital to our democracy that big tech companies can’t affect the outcome of elections."

"For hours, as millions of Americans searched Google for information about Tulsi, and as Tulsi was trying, through Google, to speak to them, her Google Ads account was arbitrarily and forcibly taken offline," it reads. "Throughout this period, the Campaign worked frantically to gather more information about the suspension."

while its true that its more of a contract dispute, she could argue that her political speach was silenced for a few hours at the height of her ability to raise donations. arent donations considered free speech?

"In the hours following the 1st debate, while millions of Americans searched for info about Tulsi, Google suspended her search ad account w/o explanation," the campaign said. "It is vital to our democracy that big tech companies can’t affect the outcome of elections."

"For hours, as millions of Americans searched Google for information about Tulsi, and as Tulsi was trying, through Google, to speak to them, her Google Ads account was arbitrarily and forcibly taken offline," it reads. "Throughout this period, the Campaign worked frantically to gather more information about the suspension."

while its true that its more of a contract dispute, she could argue that her political speach was silenced for a few hours at the height of her ability to raise donations. arent donations considered free speech?
Was Google wrong? Yes. But it's contractual, not 1st Amendment. Sorry, but this Libertarian takes issue with the argument that it's anything but contractual.

Was Google wrong? Yes. But it's contractual, not 1st Amendment. Sorry, but this Libertarian takes issue with the argument that it's anything but contractual.
i dont think that they are allowed to censor any political ads, at least thats the rules with tv/radio. i believe that law would also apply to google here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT