ADVERTISEMENT

TV/Component remotes

cnsaguy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2002
Had a Logitech 650 crap out on me in less than 18 months. Constantly needed to be re-synced to work.

Anyone have any suggestions for a multi-unit remote for around $100? Logitech seems to be the 900lb gorilla in this area, who as experience with any others?

I've had a Logitech Harmony One combined with a one of these IR distributors for a couple years now. The combo seems to work well, since the remote doesn't need to hit multiple IR sensors on multiple devices to keep everything in sync. Logitech offers a new product that is kind of like this combo, plus allows you to use your smartphone as the remote (via WiFi). That's probably what I'd get if my One dies, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

I have the Harmony Smart Control that Sublime referenced. Essentially, you set up the IR blaster hub via Wi-Fi, sync your various devices to it through your online Logitech account and you're good to go. It comes with a small remote and you can download an app to also control the hub/devices. I actually like the remote a whole lot better than the old remotes with the small lcd screen; it uses a regular watch battery (and because of no screen, lasts a whole lot longer) and is more comfortable to hold. The controls in the app are completely customizable.

The one thing I will say, though, is you mentioned multiroom setups and I'm not sure if it can accommodate that in an easy (or cost effective) manner. Each hub has to have a unique name, as far as I know. I imagine you can hook up multiple ones to a wifi network and control through a single account/app, but you would have to switch over the connected hub each time you went into another room. I have thought about getting a longer cable for the included additional blaster to run into another room, don't know how that would work out, though.

Also, regarding syncing, the only issue I've had with mine is staying synced w/ my PS3. It drops from time to time (An issue that seems universal to logitech remotes) and has to be re-registered.

What do these fancy remotes do that my normal DirecTV universal remote doesn't?
I press one button to turn on my receiver, set it to the right input, turn on my tv, set it to the right input, and turn on my Xbox 360. If I want to use my Fire TV, I press a different button, it changes my receiver to the right input, changes the TV to the right input, and turns off the Xbox 360. These are basic examples but it can do tons of different things.

What do these fancy remotes do that my normal DirecTV universal remote doesn't?
The published features give you more control over your components, but the unpublished feature is that it comes with a magnifier to make your penis look bigger. Oh and you get to spend over $100 for it.

I have never really understood how hard it is to walk your happy ass to the entertainment area and turn everything on at once. I know it is like 4 buttons to push and working out those kinds of reps, I should probably split into 2 sets with a rest in between, but I think I can manage.

I used to do the Logitech-type remotes. Now I just use apps for my phone, tablet, or laptop.
So you don't hit the tv with your belt anymore?

idTKYaW.jpg

Anyone use it with a Brighthouse box? That seems to be the component f**king up the most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT