ADVERTISEMENT

UCF 1-0 in conference play. MBB

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001
Just took out ECU ! Woot! 1-0. Good start. Looked like ECU was going to win but UCF played great in the 2nd half to squeak out the win!

Reactions: UCFhonors
Team could be real good with more discipline and less turnovers. let's hope the win gives confidence and the team can grow this year without BJ.

Team could be real good with more discipline and less turnovers. let's hope the win gives confidence and the team can grow this year without BJ.

You have to take the good with the bad...especially without BJ this year (entire backcourt from last year is gone: BJ and Goodwin)...as AJ has had to become the most aggressive offensive player on the team...but he also gives up a lot of turnovers.

Also McSpadden's been forced to play time at the PG spot...when he isn't one...and that's where he struggles...as he is a natural 2 spot guard who can create but his playing time will continue to be limited against high pressure teams that pounce on him.

Good news is that UCF has been in a lot of close games already this season...and has come out on top on a few so hopefully they continue to learn how to close out games...even when they are behind.

We need to beat usf on Tuesday night. It would be nice to go 2-0 in conference play. I'd like to see us get to .500 in conference.

We play USF on Wednesday, January 6, 7:00 PM. No need to show up on Tuesday, no one will be there!

T. Fall had 1 rebound ? Is the correct ?

Played only 13 mins (had 2 blocks) as ECU threw up a lot of 3's (especially in 1st half) which lead to some long rebounds.

McBride played 22 mins (before UCF went small late in game, which was the winning coaching move of the day) and ended up with 13 rebounds, many in 2nd half before he got tired, which lead to some costly turnovers/mistakes.

Played only 13 mins (had 2 blocks) as ECU threw up a lot of 3's (especially in 1st half) which lead to some long rebounds.

McBride played 22 mins (before UCF went small late in game, which was the winning coaching move of the day) and ended up with 13 rebounds, many in 2nd half before he got tired, which lead to some costly turnovers/mistakes.

Yep. I give Tacko and Josh (meant Justin) lots of credit. Tacko intimated ECU big time in the beginning then became less effective. Justin McBride came in and despited a few very questionable calls against him, he kept his head in the game and played very well. My point is, stats sheets don't tell the full story.

As you said going small at the end won the game. Good coaching and I really like it when we rotate that many players.

What's the story with Chad Brown? Thought he was our top freshman coming in. Might as well redshirt him now. 4 Rebs on the season are the only stats I see of his.

Last edited:
Yep. I give Tacko and Josh lots of credit. Tacko intimated ECU big time in the beginning then became less effective. Josh came in and despited a few very questionable calls against him, he kept his head in the game and played very well. My point is, stats sheets don't tell the full story.

As you said going small at the end won the game. Good coaching and I really like it when we rotate that many players.

What's the story with Chad Brown? Thought he was our top freshman coming in. Might as well redshirt him now. 4 Rebs on the season are the only stats I see of his.

I think you mean Justin, not Josh.

Brown has already played (can't redshirt). He is a strong, young player...reminds me of Stephon Blair as a true Freshmen (raw, especially on offensive end)...who could end up being an enforcer on D in the coming years...but right now, Shaheed Davis (till yesterday) has played the most minutes at the 4 this year (or AJ Davis...who has played all 5 positions this year), not leaving much time for Brown.

With both Shaheed and Blair being Seniors...could open the door for more PT next year for Brown.

Thanks for the breakdown. I did not get a chance to watch

I think you mean Justin, not Josh.

Brown has already played (can't redshirt). He is a strong, young player...reminds me of Stephon Blair as a true Freshmen (raw, especially on offensive end)...who could end up being an enforcer on D in the coming years...but right now, Shaheed Davis (till yesterday) has played the most minutes at the 4 this year (or AJ Davis...who has played all 5 positions this year), not leaving much time for Brown.

With both Shaheed and Blair being Seniors...could open the door for more PT next year for Brown.

Yeah. Meant Justin McBride. Good catch. At this point, I hope to see Justin and Tacko splitting time at the 5.

Was Shaheed this good last year? When he is hot he is great. When he is cold he is mediocre. Big surprise for me this season.

I don't remember Chad Brown playing a minute this year. Good breakdown. If Tacko develops more of an offensive threat, I guess Chad being defensive bruiser at the 4 could work. I just had high hopes for Chad - I did for Blair too.

I thought AJ could be special before the season. He has done very well and most importantly seems to be developing and getting more confident as the season goes on. I hope AJ and Adonys start playing off of each other more. They could develop into a lethal combination with AJs slashing and Adonys shooting.

Personally, I'm excited by the talent and depth we are developing. I think this is the most talented UCF team with a great core nucleus of underclassmen.

Yeah. Meant Justin McBride. Good catch. At this point, I hope to see Justin and Tacko splitting time at the 5.

Was Shaheed this good last year? When he is hot he is great. When he is cold he is mediocre. Big surprise for me this season.

I don't remember Chad Brown playing a minute this year. Good breakdown. If Tacko develops more of an offensive threat, I guess Chad being defensive bruiser at the 4 could work. I just had high hopes for Chad - I did for Blair too.

I thought AJ could be special before the season. He has done very well and most importantly seems to be developing and getting more confident as the season goes on. I hope AJ and Adonys start playing off of each other more. They could develop into a lethal combination with AJs slashing and Adonys shooting.

Personally, I'm excited by the talent and depth we are developing. I think this is the most talented UCF team with a great core nucleus of underclassmen.

No, which is why Coach Jones noted he was easily the most improved player over the off-season and while he didn't play much last night...he's been the biggest surprise this year on the team...maybe outside of AJ, who most thought could be good but don't think most thought he would be a dominate #1 player like he has become (in many games this year).

Shaheed is 3rd on the team in scoring (behind #1 AJ and #2 Adonys), 2nd in rebounds (behind #1 AJ).

Yes, Donnie does recognize when he has to go small......like BC game.

Reactions: Knight_Light
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT