ADVERTISEMENT

UCF academics vs UF, FSU, UM, and usf

Thanks for the info. It re-enforces a lot of what I suspected but nice to see actual data and side-by-side comparisons. I'm curious to know how FAU and FIU compare?
I know a few families whose kids had UCF as their first choice but denied in spite of good grades/scores. FAU seems to be the fall-back choice for many and I've seen others take the Valencia direct-connect route to UCF.
For the record... my niece was accepted by FAU and USF but denied by UCF even though her father and uncle (me) are UCF alumni and boosters. She's attending Valencia for now.
My friend had a daughter denied even though both parents graduated UCF with honors (one with a MBA) and even had a sister currently enrolled! She ended up going to FAU instead but loved it there.
Family ties at UCF definitely don't seem to matter these days.

I got a degree from UCF. I have since worked and made something of myself. Who cares were your college ranked. It's like trying to attribute stars to recruits before they go through the college program, then, if lucky enough, move on to professional football. It's not what you do when you are there. It's what you do with the rest of your life. All I can say is I went through school debt-free and was able to develop a good set of "tools" to carry myself through life (so far). I couldn't have asked for a better way to be prepared for life, other than running into some rich Uncle I didn't know I had.

I am too lazy to look up the numbers. But I would guess UF's research endowment is superior to ours..We need to keep drawing high quality faculty that do high level research to out do our competitors. For geographic reasons I think we can eventually outgrow them, but it may take 50 years

Edit: our endowment and budget are indeed a turd to UFs.

Your school might help you get your first job. After that nobody gives a damn where you went to school or whether you graduated cuma sum laude or radio to laude. Its what you do on the job that will matter. There is essentially no difference between a degree from UCF or USF

I agree with the OP but I would like to point out that most of the complaints people make about UCF academics are about the huge number of transfer students, not the incoming freshman classes. The kids that start at UCF tend to be strong academically but there is a wide variation in academic strength of the direct connect transfer students (nothing against these kids just my observation).

Reactions: OvilleNative
I could not get in today at UCF. I started in 1986. My son was wait listed and ultimately told no. He is direct connecting. We are out of state but he has the Florida prepaid as he was born there then I moved away when he was 5.

Most careers and first time jobs don't ask you your GPA or genuinely care where you went to school. Guess what they call the guy who graduated last in his class at med school...
Doctor.

Do you ever ask your MD what his or her GPA was in medical school? Do you go, hey DOC your undergraduate degree endowment is only $248 million , man you must suck as a doctor. Lol

Only in Academia circles does this stuff matter when Presidents, Dean's of Admission or the Fund Raisers get all wonky on this stuff. If it makes you feel better that UCF scores higher than cow U , good for you.

The only I care about the comparison is the score after 60 minutes. That's because of my inferior intellect that UCF accepted in the 80s. Now if was one then high fa-lute-ant who kids who mad a 1600 on the SAT, I guess I would care. But, I ain't. For all how complain about the size of our endowment, well , grab a pen and stroke a check. Lol.

Besides, my wife says size doesn't matter , so there is that.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[banana]:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: mattropolis
I agree with the OP but I would like to point out that most of the complaints people make about UCF academics are about the huge number of transfer students, not the incoming freshman classes. The kids that start at UCF tend to be strong academically but there is a wide variation in academic strength of the direct connect transfer students (nothing against these kids just my observation).
Why would people complain about transfer students? These are kids who proved their ability at another college before they got into UCF. I don't understand why that would be a problem

Why would people complain about transfer students? These are kids who proved their ability at another college before they got into UCF. I don't understand why that would be a problem
I think the controversial issue is the direct connect program through which students at like 6 community colleges (including Valencia with like 50k students), earn an AA and are guaranteed admission to UCF. This results in UCF having the most transfer students in the country. I do think that having many students that can just "scrape by" community college and are automatically accepted to UCF leads to a different overall student body than is reflected in the freshman admit statistics.

Not saying CC transfers are bad, many do awesome and go on to do great professionally. I am just saying that for the people who the OP is talking about who are calling UCF a degree mill that will let in anyone, I think that perception is more about direct connect than about incoming freshman. Direct connect is Hitt's legacy, he valued education and access above exclusivity and rankings, I think he did a good job. Note that USNews ranks UCF amongst the most innovative universities, while not amongst the highest ranked. Methinks over time innovation wins out.

Reactions: mattropolis
This reinforces everything I thought.... no chance in hell I would get into UCF today... Thankfully I graduated when I did!

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I could not get in today at UCF. I started in 1986. My son was wait listed and ultimately told no. He is direct connecting. We are out of state but he has the Florida prepaid as he was born there then I moved away when he was 5.

Most careers and first time jobs don't ask you your GPA or genuinely care where you went to school. Guess what they call the guy who graduated last in his class at med school...
Doctor.

Do you ever ask your MD what his or her GPA was in medical school? Do you go, hey DOC your undergraduate degree endowment is only $248 million , man you must suck as a doctor. Lol

Only in Academia circles does this stuff matter when Presidents, Dean's of Admission or the Fund Raisers get all wonky on this stuff. If it makes you feel better that UCF scores higher than cow U , good for you.

The only I care about the comparison is the score after 60 minutes. That's because of my inferior intellect that UCF accepted in the 80s. Now if was one then high fa-lute-ant who kids who mad a 1600 on the SAT, I guess I would care. But, I -nd stroke a check. Lol.

Besides, my wife says size doesn't matter , so there is that.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[banana]:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
.... Check , Check and Check ..... and Check !!!! ....all the other shit - GPA, endowment ,,,blah blah blah !! - is window dressing .....

Thanks for the info. It re-enforces a lot of what I suspected but nice to see actual data and side-by-side comparisons. I'm curious to know how FAU and FIU compare?
I know a few families whose kids had UCF as their first choice but denied in spite of good grades/scores. FAU seems to be the fall-back choice for many and I've seen others take the Valencia direct-connect route to UCF.
For the record... my niece was accepted by FAU and USF but denied by UCF even though her father and uncle (me) are UCF alumni and boosters. She's attending Valencia for now.
My friend had a daughter denied even though both parents graduated UCF with honors (one with a MBA) and even had a sister currently enrolled! She ended up going to FAU instead but loved it there.
Family ties at UCF definitely don't seem to matter these days.
ged

...... I'm not gonna use the them "fall back" or "2nd option" .... but FGCU seems to have leap frogged UCF as the "go to school" .... FAU is not open door either , but it seems like it's a popular "back -up" school ....

Last edited:
All Florida State schools have it. If you get AA you are guaranteed to get into UF, FSU or UCF.
Nope, not true. FSU and UF are application only for transfers. They do give priority to local community college students, but as an example, Sante Fe CC (in Gainesville) has an HONORS program where still only 88% of the grads get into UF via transfer. Kids not in the honors program have a much lower chance of getting in via transfer.

Repeat, FSU and UF do not have direct connect as it exists at UCF. They do accept transfers but it is selective. USF has a similar program to UCF but it is with much fewer CC's and MUCH fewer students. UCF is unique in the number of CC students that are auto-admitted. This is a thing.

Reactions: Stetson_1883
I think the controversial issue is the direct connect program through which students at like 6 community colleges (including Valencia with like 50k students), earn an AA and are guaranteed admission to UCF. This results in UCF having the most transfer students in the country. I do think that having many students that can just "scrape by" community college and are automatically accepted to UCF leads to a different overall student body than is reflected in the freshman admit statistics.

Not saying CC transfers are bad, many do awesome and go on to do great professionally. I am just saying that for the people who the OP is talking about who are calling UCF a degree mill that will let in anyone, I think that perception is more about direct connect than about incoming freshman. Direct connect is Hitt's legacy, he valued education and access above exclusivity and rankings, I think he did a good job. Note that USNews ranks UCF amongst the most innovative universities, while not amongst the highest ranked. Methinks over time innovation wins out.

If they are scraping by at Valencia, they will wash out really quickly at UCF. UCF is several magnitudes more difficult than the CC's and forces those who transfer to sink or swim. So I fundamentally disagree that there is a huge disparity in academic talent of those who graduate from UCF and enter the workforce; which negates the theory of having higher academic freshman admits = better school. Obviously at the ivy level this changes.

If they are scraping by at Valencia, they will wash out really quickly at UCF. UCF is several magnitudes more difficult than the CC's and forces those who transfer to sink or swim. So I fundamentally disagree that there is a huge disparity in academic talent of those who graduate from UCF and enter the workforce; which negates the theory of having higher academic freshman admits = better school. Obviously at the ivy level this changes.
I did one year at PBCC and it was harder than UCF.

What degree did you obtain at UCF? And what classes were you taking at PBCC? I find that extremely hard to believe.
Elementary Education. Yes was taking the prerequisite classes. The most glaring example was the computer class. I got a C at PBCC and when I got to UCF I retook it and got an A. My girlfriends Sorority had folders filled with tests and the answers. Most of the time the professors used the same tests every semester. I also took golf and coaching football at UCF. Pretty much show up and you get an A.

Elementary Education. Yes was taking the prerequisite classes. The most glaring example was the computer class. I got a C at PBCC and when I got to UCF I retook it and got an A. My girlfriends Sorority had folders filled with tests and the answers. Most of the time the professors used the same tests every semester. I also took golf and coaching football at UCF. Pretty much show up and you get an A.
Every University is going to have degree's you can sleepwalk through. I don't think Elementary Education is a good barometer of how hard UCF can be. Looks like you also took the path of least resistance for your electives. Try taking Calculus with Analytical Geometry with 500+ other students where you only have 30 seconds to do complex problems and have to use a clicker to answer. I took Chemistry at Valencia and UCF. It was night and day more difficult. At the CC level, professors curve grades just to curve. At UCF, they curve when tons of people have failed due to the difficulty.

There are a myriad of degrees at UCF that make you work your ass off. There is a reason so many wash out.

I think direct connect is an excellent way to let students in via a "second chance" route. I think every student-military veteran I knew at UCF got in through direct connect. Isn't the problem more about how many total students we have and our perpetually increasing total enrollment, and how it encourages us to let in EVERYONE from Valencia and Seminole State?

Reactions: shacket
Every University is going to have degree's you can sleepwalk through. I don't think Elementary Education is a good barometer of how hard UCF can be. Looks like you also took the path of least resistance for your electives. Try taking Calculus with Analytical Geometry with 500+ other students where you only have 30 seconds to do complex problems and have to use a clicker to answer. I took Chemistry at Valencia and UCF. It was night and day more difficult. At the CC level, professors curve grades just to curve. At UCF, they curve when tons of people have failed due to the difficulty.

There are a myriad of degrees at UCF that make you work your ass off. There is a reason so many wash out.
I like sports, that’s why I took sports related electives. I’m not a math or science fan. I like them but not to the degree you seem to be. The first 2 years at any school seem to be the same type of classes. In my experience, UCF wasn’t that difficult. Just take notes, study and pass the test.

Yeah I agree. Not really what the post is about though. OP compares freshman admit statistics and implies UCF is on similar footing with UF academically. The fact is less than half of UCF student body starts in that freshman class that is included in those stats. I'm just pointing out if you included the transfers that are more than 1/2 of the student body the stats are a lot different. I am a UCF grad too and already stated I support direct connect.

I think direct connect is an excellent way to let students in via a "second chance" route. I think every student-military veteran I knew at UCF got in through direct connect. Isn't the problem more about how many total students we have and our perpetually increasing total enrollment, and how it encourages us to let in EVERYONE from Valencia and Seminole State?
Yep. 100%. Direct connect is great but you can't point out the issue of huge enrollment without discussing direct connect. Our freshman class is actually similar in size to UF, the reason the university is massive is because of the massive number of transfers (more than 1/2 of student body), many from local CC's. It puts a lot of stress on the academic system. Personally I think direct connect should cut off at 3.0 CC GPA and if you are below 3.0 you should have to apply for a slot like all the other transfers from out of state, etc. I think this would reduce the "washout" effect. Direct connect is an awesome idea to give people a second chance but honestly many CCs are watered down with very low standards and just graduating with a 2.0 at Lake Sumpter Community College may not be a high enough bar to guarantee admiss to UCF imo. Especially if you want to slow enrollment growth.

1. You took the easiest major at UCF
2. It sounds like you cheated

Ask a UCF engineer if it was easy and how it compares to a local CC.

The larger enrollment with auto transfers is going to dilute the student base, as well as the largest enrollment is going to dilute the difficulty. More difficult to supply a superior product when it's at such a large volume. Also can explain the issues that is occurring around the university. Less oversight, more things slip through unnoticed that break rules.

Reactions: shacket
1. You took the easiest major at UCF
2. It sounds like you cheated

Ask a UCF engineer if it was easy and how it compares to a local CC.
You can’t compare classes unless they offer the same ones and you took them at both. I had a roommate who went to both with me. But he obviously didn’t take engineering classes at PBCC. It would take a fool to think taking classes at UCF that CC doesn’t offer, would be harder or more advanced. I’m talking English, basic math, beginning science, Social Studies, Psychology etc classes. PBCC was like 13th grade. They took roll call and penalized you for not showing up. UCF mostly didn’t. Classes with more than 50 people were the easiest. Yes they did the curve for them as well.

You can’t compare classes unless they offer the same ones and you took them at both. I had a roommate who went to both with me. But he obviously didn’t take engineering classes at PBCC. It would take a fool to think taking classes at UCF that CC doesn’t offer, would be harder or more advanced. I’m talking English, basic math, beginning science, Social Studies, Psychology etc classes. PBCC was like 13th grade. They took roll call and penalized you for not showing up. UCF mostly didn’t. Classes with more than 50 people were the easiest. Yes they did the curve for them
K. Most people think UCF gen ed program is harder than most community colleges and that kids that start at UCF are more prepared for upper level classes than the CC transfers. UCF staff has a term for the underpreparedness of the CC transfers and the challenges they face, they call it "transfer shock."

Maybe PBCC is the Harvard of southern community colleges. Or maybe elementary ed degrees are an absolute total joke and you happened to take a hard professor for 1 class at PBCC and later took an easier professor for the same class at UCF. Or maybe you learned something the first time you took the class so the second time seemed easier.

In my humble opinion, you majored in naptime and still cheated on tests using your GF's sorority test bank (lmfao well done). That does not make UCF easier than a community college.

Good point brought up by @shacket. What are the washout numbers?
I am not sure on the washout numbers for CC transfers specifically. I know our 6 year graduation rate is 70% or so because that is a metric that is part of the preeminence plan, but I don't know if they keep or publish the data separately for the transfers.

Some posters seem to think it's okay to let in all the CC kids and have them "wash out" because they don't end up getting the UCF degree and thus don't water down the product. Unfortunately graduation rates matter A LOT to the people that rank colleges like US News and also to the state legislature that provides funding to schools like UCF. This issue of what to do with direct connect and ways to control enrollment are probably the biggest things our next president will need to handle IMO. Also corruption but I kindof like the corruption, it makes me feel like we are becoming one of the big boys.

K. Most people think UCF gen ed program is harder than most community colleges and that kids that start at UCF are more prepared for upper level classes than the CC transfers. UCF staff has a term for the underpreparedness of the CC transfers and the challenges they face, they call it "transfer shock."

Maybe PBCC is the Harvard of southern community colleges. Or maybe elementary ed degrees are an absolute total joke and you happened to take a hard professor for 1 class at PBCC and later took an easier professor for the same class at UCF. Or maybe you learned something the first time you took the class so the second time seemed easier.

In my humble opinion, you majored in naptime and still cheated on tests using your GF's sorority test bank (lmfao well done). That does not make UCF easier than a community college.
I’m going to assume UCF provides the state of Florida with a very large percentage of Elementary School teachers. You don’t seem to respect teachers very much. They all majored in nap time. You should write UCF and demand the major to be dropped to not further water down your degree.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I’m going to assume UCF provides the state of Florida with a very large percentage of Elementary School teachers. You don’t seem to respect teachers very much. They all majored in nap time. You should write UCF and demand the major to be dropped to not further water down your degree.
Guy, you totally do not need to major in elementary education to be a teacher in an elementary school. They will take literally any degree in the world along with a "teaching certificate" that you can probably get at your prestigious local community college. I would rather my kid's teachers major in what interests them, math, science, english, etc. so that they might learn something. Also, unrelated note, I'm sure you know this, but being a male with an elementary ed degree working in an elementary school has you on some watchlists and most people probably think you are creepy on sight.

The LAST thing I would want is for UCF to get rid of the elementary education major, that would wipe out like 40% of the hot sorority girls I spent my time with over the years. That would be a BIG PROBLEM. FYI all of those ladies admitted it was an easy major and some even stated they took that major because "it's so easy and I just want to be a mom," LMAO. None of them thought UCF as a school was easy, they were much less confused and much more self aware than you seem.

Guy, you totally do not need to major in elementary education to be a teacher in an elementary school. They will take literally any degree in the world along with a "teaching certificate" that you can probably get at your prestigious local community college. I would rather my kid's teachers major in what interests them, math, science, english, etc. so that they might learn something. Also, unrelated note, I'm sure you know this, but being a male with an elementary ed degree working in an elementary school has you on some watchlists and most people probably think you are creepy on sight.

The LAST thing I would want is for UCF to get rid of the elementary education major, that would wipe out like 40% of the hot sorority girls I spent my time with over the years. That would be a BIG PROBLEM. FYI all of those ladies admitted it was an easy major and some even stated they took that major because "it's so easy and I just want to be a mom," LMAO. None of them thought UCF as a school was easy, they were much less confused and much more self aware than you seem.
They took EL ED because it was so easy. Then say, none of them said it was easy. Are you self aware?

They took EL ED because it was so easy. Then say, none of them said it was easy. Are you self aware?
.....FYI all of those ladies admitted it was an easy major and some even stated they took that major because "it's so easy and I just want to be a mom," LMAO. None of them thought UCF as a school was easy...

I used the bold above to make it easier to read for people who have naptime degrees. In short, easy major =/= easy university

ADVERTISEMENT