ADVERTISEMENT

UCF bombs Memphis 72-57 on Military Appreciation Day

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lots of things going on for today''s hoop game:

Left over free t-shirt give-a-way at Tailgate Party:

Military Appreciation Day (Free Koozies and Free Admission for our active/retired military and first responders. MUST fill out the request for free tickets IN ADVANCE)
http://tickets.govx.com/ticket/university-of-central-florida-football/e/192044

Painting Class and Ticket Package

Memphis played in Tampa last night so they are obviously staying in FL and just heading over to Orlando today (or maybe even did last night).

Tigers didn't have an easy game vs the cows...lead 35-30 at the half...and won a high scoring affair 85-75 infront of dozens of usf employees and band members.

Our large guest party will be there to welcome them today. Time to beat them again like Clanton & Co. did a fews years ago.

Tacko has got to go up strong and dunk it. 5 feet from basket and he shoots hooks and finger rolls. 3 point game is pretty much how we won it.

As BJ said in post game interview, when this team plays its game, nobody in the conference or nation can beat us.
Let's not get crazy. We beat an average Memphis squad. If we can find 2-3 guys to give us quality minutes next year, I would agree we could compete for the conference title.

Let's not get crazy. We beat an average Memphis squad. If we can find 2-3 guys to give us quality minutes next year, I would agree we could compete for the conference title.
It's okay to invest in this team. It will mostly be gone next year, so this is their year and they deserve our dedication. Memphis was 17-5, 30 spots above us in RPI, and on a 5-1 roll. Yet we blew them out in the first half and coasted to victory, our second win ever (out of 25 games). Last time we rightfully stormed the court (I remember); this time it was just taking care of business and well done. We match up well against Cincy, and they'll be expecting crush us at home. Surprise? Stay tuned.

Reactions: UCFhonors
How are we going to replace Matt next year?

By committee.

Plus Chance should be a better ball handler so that should help against the press but 3 out if the 4 transfers shoot week from downtown (not the range as Matt nor as many attempts per game).

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Tacko has got to go up strong and dunk it. 5 feet from basket and he shoots hooks and finger rolls. 3 point game is pretty much how we won it.

Agree and disagree... if he is able to add a little 5-7 foot baby hook into is repertoire then that should only open up more dunks. It also may move double teams further away from the basket, which would allow him to dump off passes for easy buckets when teammates streak toward the basket.

On the other hand he does need to continue to grow when within 2-4 ft and turn on beast mode at that time.

However, his progression from last year to this year is SIGNIFICANTLY better then I was anticipating. I can't wait to see him grow more over the next 1-2 yrs.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Did you hear BJ's post game interview with Marc? Not just thoughtful and articulate. Sounded like he was interviewing for a color-commentator job, especially when responding to Marc's question about the Super Bowl (Marc interjected how up on the sports scene he was). It was also clear from his and Dawkins' interviews that getting everyone touches early and defensive energy is the way we are guaranteed wins. Marc also commented how frustrating UCF's zone was to Memphis' prolific scorers. Daniels commented how well prepped players were on the Tigers' tendencies.

Dawkins is a first round pick type of player. We'll be ok there.

Based on what? He may end up being a suitable replacement for Matt, but don't know that he showed anything in his first two years a Michigan that would point to him being a first round pick.

Based on what? He may end up being a suitable replacement for Matt, but don't know that he showed anything in his first two years a Michigan that would point to him being a first round pick.
I can't find the link posted in Dungeon when he first came here but after last season he was given a 2nd round grade based on his shooting skill alone. If he improved in other areas he has size to be a 2 in NBA. Hard to find a scouting grade on him now because of sitting out. He will be every bit as good as Matt if not better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT