ADVERTISEMENT

UCF MBB RPI (and power rankings)

UCF is in pretty good position 15 games in. They have no bad losses and have a quality win @Alabama.
Bama is like Jekyll and Hyde. They take down ATM hard, then lose to Vandy by 1. RPI still top 40. Thats better than MIss State who was lucky to crack Top 150 by the end of the year.

Why did they leave St. Louis out?

Good question. You'd think that st Louis would bring a good media market with them. Maybe they asked and st Louis wasn't interested. Maybe it has to to with accreditation. Could even be, and it's just speculation, that the diocese that st Louis is in isn't consistent in some way with the others and it affects their school doctrines or enrollment. I have no idea really, but I'll say that it was surprising that Butler was added when they aren't Catholic affiliated at all.

the American is Top 4 without the Bools and Pirates.
What happened to South Florida? They were in the tournament not that long ago.
I thought it was their basketball had enough upsize to impress the Big East brass 15 years ago.

Pirates sports have been around forever, you'd think they would develop a basketball program.

It's just been a bizarre year for college basketball. I don't know how you would even begin putting together a top 25. The big 10, Pac 12, and ACC are a mess and other than Cincinnati there aren't any mid majors really tearing up their conferences.

Not that it matters, but AAC is not a mid-major basketball conference. Nor are the A10, Mountain West or Big East.

Not that it matters, but AAC is not a mid-major basketball conference. Nor are the A10, Mountain West or Big East.
It's not a pejorative term. Typically the big 12, acc, pac12, big10, sec, and big East are considered the major conferences. Theres a drop off in stature from there, but conferences like the AAC aren't held in the same regard as ones like the ivy league or the sun belt who are considered a much lower quality conference.

It's not a pejorative term. Typically the big 12, acc, pac12, big10, sec, and big East are considered the major conferences. Theres a drop off in stature from there, but conferences like the AAC aren't held in the same regard as ones like the ivy league or the sun belt who are considered a much lower quality conference.
It is actually a pejorative term and no the AAC is not a mid-major conference by anyone’s definition.

8 games left: with a 14-8 record (5-5 in conference). That is exactly where we were last year.

RPI is 73 as is our SOS rank.

Date Opponent --- RealTime Predition:

2-06 at Cincinnati - --- 57-78 L - Scouting
02-11 at Memphis --- - 61-70 L - Scouting
02-14 South Florida --- 79-57 W - Scouting
02-17 SMU --- 75-68 W - Scouting
02-21 at Tulsa --- 61-69 L - Scouting
02-25 at Temple --- 68-74 L - Scouting
03-01 Wichita St. --- 78-74 W - Scouting
03-04 Tulane --- 69-61 W - Scouting

RealTime RPI predicts a 4-4 finish which would leave us at 18-12 (9-9). Last year we finished the last 8 games 6-2. I see us finishing these last 8 games 5-3.

We have 3 Quadrant 1 opportunities left in the regular season: @ Cincy, @ Temple and Witchita. Those are our most important games.

We have 3 Quadrant 2 opportunities left in the regular season: @ Memphis, SMU, & @ Tulsa.

We need a big win or 2.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
Have to go 6-2 minimally and make AAC Champ Game to get at large. Pretty much we have to win tourney.

Have to go 6-2 minimally and make AAC Champ Game to get at large. Pretty much we have to win tourney.

I'm not sure about with the Quadrant thing now. It's more important to get key wins - Quadrant 1 wins.

6-2 in the next 8 is much harder this year than last year.

I'm not sure about with the Quadrant thing now. It's more important to get key wins - Quadrant 1 wins.

6-2 in the next 8 is much harder this year than last year.
Right now we only have 1 of those. Alabama. How many Q1 wins would we need?

Right now we only have 1 of those. Alabama. How many Q1 wins would we need?

I'm not sure especially since it's new.

Here is our Q1 & Q2 wins:

Name - RPI - location
Q1 wins:
Bama - 38 away
Temple - 34 home

Q2
Nebraska- 58 neutral

Ironically the 2 teams who we have had the most drama with this season in Football, Bama & Nebraska, we beat in B-Ball. And now it kills me to root for those assholes. If Nebraska moves to Top 50 that win becomes a Q1 win.

If they dont win the tourney...
I like their chances of going to the NIT again. If they can beat Which State at home and go .500 the rest of the way theyre a shoe in.

I'm not sure especially since it's new.

Here is our Q1 & Q2 wins:

Name - RPI - location
Q1 wins:
Bama - 38 away
Temple - 34 home

Q2
Nebraska- 58 neutral

Ironically the 2 teams who we have had the most drama with this season in Football, Bama & Nebraska, we beat in B-Ball. And now it kills me to root for those assholes. If Nebraska moves to Top 50 that win becomes a Q1 win.
It's 1-30 at Home. Temple is not there.

22 wins would likely get us in. 23 or 24 would be no doubt. 21 would be on the bubble. Going 8-0 would put us in the 30-35 RPI range and at 22 wins before the tournament.
Perhaps but on review while beating 4 teams in the Top 70 could help especially two Top 25 teams in the AP and Coaches poll....playing #287 South Florida regardless of outcome will do nothing. The others are in the Top 130.
This is where the committee starts considering RPI teams in major conferences that are higher like for example Syracuse in 2017 since they beat a couple of conference teams in the Top 25 Ap/Coaches and there record was barely over .500 they had to be considered. Dont forget Southern illinois the highest ranked rpi in the NIT at 36 being shunned by the NCAA. I dont think the Salukis(?) played defeated Top 25 competition though and had to win their conference tournament.

I'm just wondering how much controversy and/or clout we can create or have if the American didnt have teams ranked 272nd or 287th.
Temple's run as an at large is going to decline with games against the 272nd and 287th rpi ranked team.

Palm has UCF as a first 4 out right now. No way they aren't in if they finish 8-0 with wins over Cincinnati and Wichita State. Of course all this discussion is likey moot tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT