ADVERTISEMENT

*UCF Pro Day 03/29*

Just read an article on Auburn’s defensive backs at the combine. Both ran a 4.53 and one had 16 reps at 225 lbs and one didn’t perform the bench press.

Our LB Griffin runs a 4.38. Wide Receiver Smith a 4.49. So our “possession” receiver is faster than their supposedly first round pick DB. How fast is Snelson going to be?

Hughes does 20 reps and runs a “slow” 4.53. That’s the same as their “prize” DBs and we were all disappointed.

Wasn’t this Finebaum top SEC school supposed to be “more talented” than us?? Where??? QB?? No. WR? No. Offensive line? Not really.

Defensive line maybe?? Even there, we had more sacks than they did and ran for more yards on them I believe.

Last edited:
Hughes decided not to run the 40 but is doing drills.

not to be an ass but why is Godfrey working out? Hasn't he been out of playing for a while now and I thought was involved in coaching? If he wanted to extend his playing career I'm sure he would have got a chance in the CFL

not to be an ass but why is Godfrey working out? Hasn't he been out of playing for a while now and I thought was involved in coaching? If he wanted to extend his playing career I'm sure he would have got a chance in the CFL
There are about 8 former players there today. Most of them have very little shot.

Why not? probably the only time he will get a look. I think it is a good thing that current players and recruits see that "once a Knight, always a Knight" and that UCF is a program that will continue to support you.

Too bad we're not getting to see what we wanted from Hughes and Akins but I'm sure they have good reasons. Also like that our former players are welcomed back. #UCFamily

Reactions: Knightrodamus
Only reason Hughes wouldn’t rerun the 40 would be he can’t do better than combine. His stock has already dropped to end of first round. It may drop further now that he refused to improve it.

Lots of head scratchers here. The Hughes 40 mystery remains. Oh well, I guess that we will have to see his speed on Sundays in the NFL.

I thought that Akins running a fast time in the 40 as a WR converting to a Tight End would really have helped his draft stock. He didn’t even run it

Additionally. Seyvon Lowry gets the dud of the year award. He’s been on 2 New Year’s Bowl teams and was a Knight for 5 years and as a DE he can only manage a 5.16 forty and 13 reps at 225 lbs in the bench press?? Come on dude!!

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Hughes isn't slow watch the game tapes. Not everyone is a track star.

Akins had a hamstring pull and wanted to do the skill drills. f he hurt himself trying to get the best 40 time, he could have re-injured his hamstring. Again, watch his tapes.

Lots of head scratchers here. The Hughes 40 mystery remains. Oh well, I guess that we will have to see his speed on Sundays in the NFL.

I thought that Akins running a fast time in the 40 as a WR converting to a Tight End would really have helped his draft stock. He didn’t even run it

Additionally. Seyvon Lowry gets the dud of the year award. He’s been on 2 New Year’s Bowl teams and was a Knight for 5 years and as a DE he can only manage a 5.16 forty and 13 reps at 225 lbs in the bench press?? Come on dude!!
I bet Hughes will drop into the 2nd Round. That doesn't mean I don't think he'll be an NFL starter but when you do anything that scouts consider as hiding a weakness it's all it takes for a few teams with that need to pass on you. I understand Griffin not rerunning it but not Hughes.

Reactions: Mikesi
Second round is still pretty impressive. You make the real money on the second contract anyways.

And all of these guys could have been hurt. Who knows

I'm confident Akins is still hurt. Hamstrings end careers. A lot of athletes deal with constant stinging and strain that makes it difficult to walk let alone get to full speed. Wishing him the best.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
8267023.jpg

Is catching three footballs a new pro day drill?

Every school pro day has players show up from the past, not just from the last season.

Marc Daniels said Hughes has been running the 40 for teams during private workouts. He’s fine and probably has a good idea of who is interested in drafting him and when.
I’ve heard he has 8 workouts scheduled with teams. I’m assuming 1 of them told him not to run at Pro day because they would take him at whatever pick guaranteed.

I’ve heard he has 8 workouts scheduled with teams. I’m assuming 1 of them told him not to run at Pro day because they would take him at whatever pick guaranteed.
Agreed. Teams are slick. Some team or teams may know privately that he runs a 4.3-4-4 and don’t want it all out there on the Pro day

Last edited:
I bet Hughes will drop into the 2nd Round. That doesn't mean I don't think he'll be an NFL starter but when you do anything that scouts consider as hiding a weakness it's all it takes for a few teams with that need to pass on you. I understand Griffin not rerunning it but not Hughes.
I've been reading about what scouts really like about Hughes (man-to-man coverage skills)
and checking different draft predictions. Seems like Hughes name is showing up in bottom of 1st round with different teams who need a shutdown corner. Don't think he'll slide to second round. They know he's pro ready today.

We saw the difference a lock down corner makes this season. There are only a handful of them in NFL. Watch the tapes to see how Hughes handled opposing #1 receivers. We played some really good ones and he had a good game against Auburn.

Not sure if serious....

As of 2-3 days ago, he was still #3 CB on Mayock's list and said during the telecast his 40 did not hurt him.
everyone is so thin skinned about everything UCF these days. My comment wasn't a slight, it does not take much to slide out of the 1st round. He's slotted as the #3 CB and that already has him at the end of the 1st round(30s), all it takes is some other position(QB) to unexpectedly slide that causes that domino effect

Every school pro day has players show up from the past, not just from the last season.
don't remember Godfrey showing up the last few years but I could be wrong. There wasn't as much coverage as they provided this year

Hughes could go mid to late 1st round or as low as early 3rd. Nobody knows for sure. There are way too many variables and draft prediction is a very imperfect science. Don’t be shocked if either happen.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Hope they didn’t take him to Nebraska. He may not survive the cold.
They would torture me by hitting me repeatedly with their NC trophies, then hang me soonafter stepping out of the airport. It wouldn’t get to the point of me freezing to death.

Quote from Hughes:

“If you cut on the film, then the time that I posted, that goes out the window. I’ve chased guys down and I’m sure that they see that,” Hughes said. “I definitely think the 40 [time] gets blown up a lot. If you’re fast, you’re fast. I’m not taking that away from anybody, but some guys are just football players and you have to [put] on the film to see that.”

Yes Mike. We have seen that. We have seen all of it. Thanks for the one amazing year!

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT